Onboard account question for someone who recently sailed on NCL

We have only sailed on Carnival in the past and one of the ladies in our roll call heard the onboard account deposit for NCL was $700/person when using a debit card. This just doesn't sound right. Can anyone give me the rundown on what NCL does for the onboard accounts when you are boarding the ship.

Cash deposit =

Debit Hold =

Credit amount verification for Credit card users=

This would be most helpful for us and our other roll call members who are now in panic!

Thanks

My husband and I sailed the Gem in June. We put $600 cash down and there was no problem. Near the end of the cruise I thought I might go over, which we did by a little, so I gave them my credit card to put the additional charges on. I have heard folks say that NCL requires a large deposit but I don't believe that to be true. We had no problem and they did not insist we leave more than the initial $600. Not sure if this helps you but I hope it does.

Also remember that $12 per day per person will be charged to each onboard account EACH day for the daily service charge. On a 7 day cruise, that uses up $84 for the week if it is just one person. $168 for two.

My husband and I sailed the Gem in June. We put $600 cash down and there was no problem. Near the end of the cruise I thought I might go over, which we did by a little, so I gave them my credit card to put the additional charges on. I have heard folks say that NCL requires a large deposit but I don't believe that to be true. We had no problem and they did not insist we leave more than the initial $600. Not sure if this helps you but I hope it does.

Did you do $600 for the both of you or was it $600 per person?

I asked NCL this questions as I also did not want to put down $100 per day per person, especially as we have prepaid our service charge. This is their email to me:

Good afternoon

Thank you for booking with Norwegian Cruise Line.

It would be better to pay with a credit card not a debit card so your funds are will not restricted because the fund could be held up to 30days but that is not very often, it all depends on the bank or the card company.

The first amount which is taken is $300 and then different amounts are taken depending on your spending pattern

You can put cash down if you only have say $1000 you can open up your onboard account with that, but if your spending is getting near to that amount you will be asked by the front desk to “top up your account” with more money or your account could be closed.

You can pre pay your service charge before you travel it is £6.50pppd or if you pay onboard $12pppd which will go on your onboard account

Hope this helps

May thanks

Abigail

In relation to the hold referred to as depends on the bank or card company here is the email from my bank:

On our cards once you have paid the final bill, or if you pay in advance once you finish the cruise, the funds will remain on hold for up to 16 days. What happens is they will request that we place the funds on hold for them incase for some reason a payment doesn’t go through. The best way to do this will be to use a credit card for the security deposit and then use the Caxton card for the final bill.

I don't know why NCL keep telling passengers it is the bank who are not releasing the funds. The bank only holds funds on instruction from NCL and releases on instruction from NCL. Bank's don't go randomly holding funds for companies, why would they and how would they know to do so?

I asked NCL this questions as I also did not want to put down $100 per day per person, especially as we have prepaid our service charge. This is their email to me:

Who did you contact to prepay the DSC? I am booked on Epic in Sept 11 and would like to prepay in pounds before I go. Did you contact your travel agent or NCL in the UK?

Karen

If you dont want to use a debit card but want to use cash, there is another way to do this. You can pay your onboard credit anytime you want. When I sailed Epic, I did not want to come home with a $1200 bill. I already had $400 OBC, but every month before I cruised, I added $100. I think I had close to $900 OBC. When I got my bill it was $200 or less. Even though I did not "save" any money, it helped me budget my vacation.

But the bad part is the NCL site does not allow you to do this online (yet). You can only pay for your cruises online. You have to call to add money to your on board credit.

If you dont want to use a debit card but want to use cash, there is another way to do this. You can pay your onboard credit anytime you want. When I sailed Epic, I did not want to come home with a $1200 bill. I already had $400 OBC, but every month before I cruised, I added $100. I think I had close to $900 OBC. When I got my bill it was $200 or less. Even though I did not "save" any money, it helped me budget my vacation.

But the bad part is the NCL site does not allow you to do this online (yet). You can only pay for your cruises online. You have to call to add money to your on board credit.

I did the same using the Bon Voyage gift form, just fax it off bi-weekly to add amount to obc. they only thing is, it doesn't show up immediately, so the first night at dinner there was a minor issue, but easily resolved.

Archived