Need help with London area

We will be traveling for a week before taking a cruise out of Dover. We were planning on coming back down from Edinburgh and spending a day exploring London before driving to Dover. We don't want to drive in London but would like to be close enough to catch the HoHo bus and take the tour. Any suggestions on where to stay with a car but be close to the city? This will be our first trip, so we are not familiar with the city. Thanks!

Are you coming straight from Edinburgh to London?

Or are you spending a week getting from Edinburgh to London?

If it's the former, I would strongly suggest that you don't drive. Doing that many road miles is a complete waste of (at least) one full day. Rather, drop the car in Edinburgh. (Your plan suggests that you're happy to pay a one-way drop fee in any event.) Fly from Edinburgh to London City Airport. Stay somewhere near London Bridge station or Waterloo station (both of these are easy to get to from London City Airport). Then take the train to Dover the next day.

If you are touring all the way from Edinburgh to London, or you insist on driving anyway, my advice would be to look for a hotel near the Tower of London. If you are keen to save money, it should be possible (a) to park cheaply and (b) to avoid the Congestion Charge. But much will depend on how far you can wheel your luggage and what times of the day on which days of the week you're planning on driving. From this area, it's easy to drive out to Dover.

There is a whole fascinating world between Edinburgh and London. I do hope the OP considers seeing something of the rest of our beautiful country when travelling south.....the Northumberland coast, Whitby, York, the Dales, the Peak District, Chatsworth House, Nottingham etc, etc etc.to name but a few. A hire car is the perfect way of doing this. Sorry I can't help with your London question but have a great trip.

If you are determined to drive and don't want to drive actually in the city. what about parking and staying at a hotel at Canary Wharf and then taking the Clipper Boats or the City Cruises Boats into town for sight seeing. You are then well placed for continuing onto Kent, for Dover. Lot of driving though.

Rather, drop the car in Edinburgh. (Your plan suggests that you're happy to pay a one-way drop fee in any event.) Fly from Edinburgh to London City Airport. Stay somewhere near London Bridge station or Waterloo station (both of these are easy to get to from London City Airport). Then take the train to Dover the next day.

Or take the train from Edinburgh to London - some great sites on the way - or you can even do it on the Caledonia Sleeper and not lose a day at all. Flying is, of course, so deeply unpleasant.

WD

Flying is, of course, so deeply unpleasant.
YMMV: I took a train from London to Manchester once, and swore that I would in future fly that route even if it took longer and cost me more.

Edinburgh to London is operated by a different company, but I find it hard to be tempted by it when it's possible to use London City (hence my specific mention of it).

However, Heathrow or Gatwick would have an effect on the balance of convenience and depending on precise circumstances might tip it in the other direction.

Train from Edinburgh to London is beautiful journey! Book in advance for best fares though.

I would see if you could squeeze a day in the surrounding area before you embark in Dover. Dover itself (apart from the castle) is not worth a visit but Canterbury and either whitstable or broadstairs (coastal towns) are worth a visit, even if it's just an afternoon.

I would second Globaliser's post.

Def agree on the convinience of London City - I've actually arranged a connecting flight over a direct one to go via City and avoid LHR. Good transport links and no stress with security or long lines.

Archived