Inside room

midnblue

I'm an experienced cruiser. Started with a porthole room, went to having a balcony and was hooked. However a friend of mine is also a frequent cruiser and gets the cheapest room to save money, so that he can go on more cruises. I never had an inside room before. Thought it would be nice to have a room near him, but not sure if I will be miserable. Anyone have any pros and cons to having an inside room? Would love some thoughts on this.

I've had every room possible on CCL...inside, porthole to the best suite (except the captains suite on the Liberty).

The first time I booked an inside I went "oh what have I done"...but I honestly found it to be just fine!!

When sailing to Mexico, which is a few times a year, I get an inside. For the Caribbean, I get a balcony because I love seeing the nice blue water....unlike here on the west coast.

Do not be concerned about the inside. Just got back from the Conquest and booked inside. It was the only option to stay near our kids. It was fine. I actually slept better in the inside cabin than I have in our outside cabins!

I've done interior, oceanview, and balcony. Honestly I cannot say one of them was any better than the other. The balcony was great, but I felt like I didn't get my moneys worth because I was never in the room.

I was in an interior cabin for a 15-night transatlantic cruise on NCL, and my friend and I seriously only slept in the room. Whether it was overnight or a nap during the day, the room was perfectly dark so we slept great. Just make sure you take a clock with you so that you know what time it is ... you can get a little confused when you wake up in the morning and you can't tell how early/late it is. As for the weather, you can always check the TV ... with a cloudy oceanview window you can't tell the weather anyway.

I always book my cruise based on the value for the money ... just booked one for November and the interior room was only $330. Balcony was about $650. I know I'm going to be perfectly happy with the interior cabin.

If you're spending so much time in the room then why are you going on a cruise anyway?? Get out and have some fun!! :)

We too are in an interior cabin for Nov and we were in an inside cabin on the Destiny as well...and We all slept great since there were no Windows It really is fine....Honestly we werent in the room very much...

I have had insides, porthole (once), obstructed, oceanview and balconies

I know a LOT of people here are addicted to their balconies but I don't use a balcony much. I can understand a honeymoon couple loving it, or for romance but I am single and I want to be with our group, not sitting out on that little balcony with a female friend/roommate.

Insides are actually nice....great for sleeping <grin> very dark...be sure to set wake up call and /or put out room service breakfast request. You can really "sleep in" with an inside. I never felt claustrophobic, they have a fake curtained "window" plus you can put your tv on to the "bow cam" and see where the ship is going etc. Insides also seem to have great airconditioning

I don't look outside the window so really an oceanview is not that big of a deal but they are a little more spacious with the couch so that is nice to have. Porthole?? JMO a porthole is a waste if you pay extra....never look out of it, it looks kind of cloudy (mine did)....not worth extra $$.

A balcony IS nice, don't get me wrong but I sure don't need one. Also after Jan 1, the smoking rules tighten and I think the balconies will be totally overrun by smokers. I have been lucky so far with the balconies, but after Jan I ONLY want an inside on Carnival <grin>

You also can probably get an oceanview (or porthole) near or across from your friend IF you feel you just can't "stand" an inside. Or you might try it and love it. Insides are sure more affordable especially on the solo cabins.

My favorite 3 cruises have been the Dream, Valor, then Elation. Those have been my only 3 cruises with a true inside room, yet they have been my favorites. It wasn't because of the inside room necessarily. It was other things that made those cruises so great. But having an inside room gives me an extra push to get out of the room, and then I have more fun.

We have only done balconys, love them.

I want to feel the weather.

Love coffee in the mornings out there.

I want to know if it's day/night when I open my eyes.

I know people talk about an inside being good for sleeping/napping. I don't nap at home and the only sleep I want is my 8 or so hrs. each night. I don't want to waste time sleeping, when there is the big, beautiful ship, and the blue skies and ocean calling my name.

You have to book what feels right for you. Enjoy! :)

Do not be concerned about the inside. It was fine. I actually slept better in the inside cabin than I have in our outside cabins!

This is so true! It is pitch black in those rooms with the lights off.

Do you spend a lot of time on your balcony? If so, I would book one again as close to your friend as possible. If you don't, book the inside. They are just as roomy to me and while I did miss the balcony, I was able to spend more elsewhere.

If you are the least bit claustrophobic don't get an inside room. For me I could never do it. Would be like sleeping in a closet. I need to be able to not only see outside but step outside anytime I want. Yes I know I can go out to an open deck but early in the morning I don't want to have to get up and get dressed to be out in public.

I love my balcony rooms and get my money's worth since I spend a lot of time out there.

Each person is different so only you will know if an inside would work for you.

Have a great cruise!

thanks everyone, I expected to read more "Noooooo, don't do it" and surprisingly, no one said that. So, we are going to do the inside room and save some money, and do it bigger, next cruise. Cuz there is always....a next cruise. :D

I've done insides before. Really the only complaint I had was it was harder to wake up in the morning without sunlight. Other than that, it was totally find. If inside was the only way I could cruise, I'd still go!

However, I would try to get a porthole or window if available nearby. Really just for the sunlight to help me wake up :)

Well inside rooms are perfect for people who like to either sleep in, in the morning or maybe take a mid afternoon nap because the room is pitch black. ON the other hand, some might find it a bit claustrophobic. An ocean view across the hall I think would be a happy medium. Inside rooms are also good for people who aren't in the room that often, somebody who just sleeps and showers in the room.

I have done them all. I have done inside cabins, balcony, suites and oceanview staterooms.

If the price difference is not that great, i will go with an outside cabin. Otherwise I use an inside cabin. This coming cruise that I am going on next week, will be an inside cabin. This is my 3rd inside cabin out of 15 cruises that I have taken.

I will miss seeing the blue water out of my cabin but I will not miss the smokers smoking on their balcony while I try and enjoy fresh air.

If you consider how much time you really spend in a cabin, then you can selll yourself on an inside cabin. Otherwise, do an outside cabin. I see people who leave their cabin doors open on an inside cabin so, they do not get all closed in.

My first choice is an inside room. All rooms serve two basic tasks. Place to sleep and a place to clean up. After that, you pay a price to have a glass window. So now you get sunlight. After that, you pay a huge price for a private piece of real estate outside. Now, I'm not saying that I would not like it, just saying that the money I don't spend is used for more vacations, or more "extra" items.

I have had both inside and outside. I prefer the window, but mostly because the rooms are bigger, and I either have 1 or 2 kids (now not so little).

Many times, the window is available for almost the same price and on my next cruise, it was exactly the same price.

Thanks for asking that question. I have cruises twice and booked a balcony. The fist time was with the kids and was great, the second time was by myself, and I just wasn't in the room enough to need the balcony and space. For the next cruise I was really WORRIED about if I could handle an interior room, but after reading everyones posts I think I will be just fine and dandy staying in an interior.

Thanks.

Archived