certificate question

JackieH

Please forgive me if this question has been asked..Last summer we were on the Carnival Liberty and bought those certificates for a future cruise. We were under the impression(and we are probably wrong), that you could use that for a deposit for a future cruise??? Well today I called up Carnival for a cruise in Aug 2012, and I told him of my certificates etc.. he said I still had to pay a $250 deposit per person. Me and my husband thought what we paid for last cruise was used for a deposit?? So we are confused:confused::confused

Can anybody shed some light on this.. Thanks so much.

The wording to me is misleading, so I am not surprised you are confused.

It says something like the FCC is a deposit on a unbooked cruise .. well if its unbooked, its not a deposit on anything right?? Once you book it then you have to put up a regular deposit which varys on the length of the cruise.

I agree they should not use the word deposit when they say on their signs a deposit on a unbooked cruise. Most people are going to think it pertains to the deposit they have to make on a cruise .. not that they have money toward a yet unnamed cruise.. its just the wrong word for carnival to use and its confusing.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/09/02/what-is-the-loyalty-and-cruise-vacation-program.aspx

Here again in that link they use the word deposit misleadingly (imo).

2nd Promotion/Offer

We will offer a 2nd promotion to guests that are not ready to commit on a particular ship or sail date. The guest can deposit $100.00 for their future cruise and receive a certificate for an on board credit worth up to $200.00* per stateroom.

It says something like the FCC is a deposit on a unbooked cruise .. well if its unbooked, its not a deposit on anything right?? Once you book it then you have to put up a regular deposit which varys on the length of the cruise.

I agree they should not use the word deposit on a unbooked cruise.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/09/02/what-is-the-loyalty-and-cruise-vacation-program.aspx

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. You are right, it is very misleading..how frustrating.

When i bought my certificate, I was told that I would get $100 refunded on the deposit. That would be credited after Carnival received the full deposit and I mailed the certificate into them.

This is what happened for the last 2 cruises that I purchased.

When i bought my certificate, I was told that I would get $100 refunded on the deposit. That would be credited after Carnival received the full deposit and I mailed the certificate into them.

This is what happened for the last 2 cruises that I purchased.

Iv always had it credited to the final payment.

Maybe if you made special arrangements you could only pay the difference on the deposit like you did.

Now you dont mail them in, you do them online.

Thanks for everybodys input..So I guess it all comes out in the end.. Its just misleading..making it sound like u can use it for your deposit. The PVP at Carnival said it is deducted off the balance.

yes a lot easier now since you dont have to mail it back certified mail and can do it over the internet. only took a few days and it came off balance of cruise, very easy.

dallas52, redeeming the certificate by email sounds great. Can you tell me how to do it, please? I took a quick look on the Carnival site and didn't see anything about it. Thanks.

I agree they should not use the word deposit when they say on their signs a deposit on a unbooked cruise. Most people are going to think it pertains to the deposit they have to make on a cruise .. not that they have money toward a yet unnamed cruise.. its just the wrong word for carnival to use and its confusing.

I clicked on the link and under the restrictions it says does not apply to Friends and Family rate. I understand all of the other rates, but what is Friends and Family rate and who can get it? I assume since the FCC is not applicable to it that it must be a pretty good discount rate. Thanks,

I believe the Friends and Family rate has to do with booking an additional cabin when you book yours (and use your certificate). The second cabin gets the same discount OR the same OBC (OR both?) as you do in your cabin. Perhaps someone who knows for sure can explain it...but I'm close. I know it has nothing to do with the crew. :)

I have an FCC that I purchased 5/29/2010 - and in the small print on the back side it says:

#5 This certificate can be applied as a deposit but does not serve as a full deposit for all sailings. The receipient is responsible for covering any difference in the full deposit at the time of booking.

But I know that my PVP told me I could not use it toward the deposit - I guess it doesn't matter in the long run, you still get $100 OBC and the $100 you paid comes off of the total amount due.

Also, mine says the expiration date is 2015 - did I read somewhere that now they are only good for 2 years instead of 5?

I clicked on the link and under the restrictions it says does not apply to Friends and Family rate. I understand all of the other rates, but what is Friends and Family rate and who can get it? I assume since the FCC is not applicable to it that it must be a pretty good discount rate. Thanks,

lol, well MY guess is they mean the military friends and family rates.

However, if you book onboard with a FCC they give you two free friends and family certificates, and they of course dont get the $100 off since they are free, but they do get the same OBC you get, if they book cabins on the same cruise you are going on within 60 days.

So, it could be that friends and family too.

I have an FCC that I purchased 5/29/2010 - and in the small print on the back side it says:

#5 This certificate can be applied as a deposit but does not serve as a full deposit for all sailings. The receipient is responsible for covering any difference in the full deposit at the time of booking.

But I know that my PVP told me I could not use it toward the deposit - I guess it doesn't matter in the long run, you still get $100 OBC and the $100 you paid comes off of the total amount due.

Also, mine says the expiration date is 2015 - did I read somewhere that now they are only good for 2 years instead of 5?

yes they went from 5 to 4 to 2 years.

I believe the Friends and Family rate has to do with booking an additional cabin when you book yours (and use your certificate). The second cabin gets the same discount OR the same OBC (OR both?) as you do in your cabin. Perhaps someone who knows for sure can explain it...but I'm close. I know it has nothing to do with the crew. :)

No one actually gets a discount. You paid $100 and they take the $100 off you paid.

since the 2 friends and family certs are free, they dont take off the $100.

I agree, not crew .. and you are probably right, its the friends and family certs, not the military friends and family that came to my mind first.

Iv always had it credited to the final payment.

Maybe if you made special arrangements you could only pay the difference on the deposit like you did.

Now you dont mail them in, you do them online.

I booked on Monday and was told to mail it in...hmmmm

dallas52, redeeming the certificate by email sounds great. Can you tell me how to do it, please? I took a quick look on the Carnival site and didn't see anything about it. Thanks.

Try this:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/requestforms/futurevacationcert.html

You may need to click on the compatibility view in the address bar to get it to work correctly.

Sharon

Those certificates have been nothing but a headache for me. First of all, it says deposit and that's totally misleading. Additionally, the item on the back that talks about it not serving as a full deposit is further misleading. Of course $100 is not $250, but it should be able to be applied to the $250 deposit required.

My biggest complaint is that when my best friend and I bought ours last year, we weren't told "oh hey, fyi, if you guys travel together, only one of you can use the certificate unless you have separate cabins." That would seem to be something that should be advertised and not just listed in small print on the back of the terms and conditions that no one reads in the first place.

Those certificates have been nothing but a headache for me. First of all, it says deposit and that's totally misleading. Additionally, the item on the back that talks about it not serving as a full deposit is further misleading. Of course $100 is not $250, but it should be able to be applied to the $250 deposit required.

My biggest complaint is that when my best friend and I bought ours last year, we weren't told "oh hey, fyi, if you guys travel together, only one of you can use the certificate unless you have separate cabins." That would seem to be something that should be advertised and not just listed in small print on the back of the terms and conditions that no one reads in the first place.

Well you can always use the other one on another cruise or get a refund. Id say almost all promos for OBC are one per cabin. stockholders has about the same OBC and it too is one per cabin. Most of the sales for free OBC, the OBC is listed per cabin.

They gotcha coming and going on these things.

lol, well MY guess is they mean the military friends and family rates.

However, if you book onboard with a FCC they give you two free friends and family certificates, and they of course dont get the $100 off since they are free, but they do get the same OBC you get, if they book cabins on the same cruise you are going on within 60 days.

So, it could be that friends and family too.

Yeah, that's it! :)

I knew it was something about more people and at least one more cabin, but I didn't know what. ;)

Please forgive me if this question has been asked..Last summer we were on the Carnival Liberty and bought those certificates for a future cruise. We were under the impression(and we are probably wrong), that you could use that for a deposit for a future cruise??? Well today I called up Carnival for a cruise in Aug 2012, and I told him of my certificates etc.. he said I still had to pay a $250 deposit per person. Me and my husband thought what we paid for last cruise was used for a deposit?? So we are confused:confused::confused

Can anybody shed some light on this.. Thanks so much.

How I get around booking for a smaller deposit is I only book me at first, then I add my husband in later on with my carnival agent and pay his deposit. You will be charged double occupancy for the cruise at first, even tho its only one person but then later when you add him in, you just get the taxes for the 2nd person added in to the total. So, it comes out to be the same price as originally it would have been.

I hope this helps!

Lori

Archived