Celebrity Ships no longer doing Freepour?

blueamber

After several postings on one of the UK based cruise forums it has come to light that Celebrity Eclipse sailing out of UK is now using standard measures for all alcohol purchased instead of the old freepour system. I perservered and got through to their UK customer service and was told that YES this is the new company policy and its being bought into play across the whole fleet at the moment. They also said it will be relevent to sailings from all European and US Departure Ports and then they went on to say " we do sell a marvellous drinks package however.

What an underhand ploy to make more people pay for a drinks package!!

After several postings on one of the UK based cruise forums it has come to light that Celebrity Eclipse sailing out of UK is now using standard measures for all alcohol purchased instead of the old freepour system. I perservered and got through to their UK customer service and was told that YES this is the new company policy and its being bought into play across the whole fleet at the moment. They also said it will be relevent to sailings from all European and US Departure Ports and then they went on to say " we do sell a marvellous drinks package however.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Could you please elaborate? What exactly is a free pour compared to standard measures for alcohol. Are you saying when you order a drink they just free pour and don't measure the alcohol? That would seem weird and I would think the drinks would taste way too strong.

Hi,

I'm also kind of puzzled by the OP's message....''free''pour ?? Nobody in the service and entertainment industry ever made money by pouring free alcoholic beverages....:eek:

I'm unaware that Celebrity ever had such a '' policy'' ( if you want to call it as such...:rolleyes:.).

In any bar I know of, when you buy a drink, you get what you paid for and live to enjoy it .

The drinks package recently introduced by Celebrity ( and other lines....) is designed along the ''volume discount'' principle....no more,no less...

Perhaps we're misunderstanding what the OP is trying to share with us.

Cheers:)

C

The OP is saying that X will now measure the liquor they pour into a glass with one of those little measures (usually 25ml) before adding any mixer-this ensure that you get exactly 25ml and not a drop more.

This is the way it is done in UK bars (and UK cruise lines AFAIK).

A 25ml measure of Spiced Rum in a large glass topped up with Coke tastes just like......Coke:mad:

On all of the cruises I have taken (Celebrity/RCCL/Holland America) they have always just poured a healthy measure into the glass directly from the bottle before adding the mixer just as it is done in most of the land based bars, hotels and nightclubs in all of other countries I have visited.

I wish X would stop introducing these "British" ideas. There is a reason we choose to sail with a US based cruise line as opposed to P&O but at this rate we won't be able to tell the difference:rolleyes:

The OP is saying that X will now measure the liquor they pour into a glass with one of those little measures (usually 25ml) before adding any mixer-this ensure that you get exactly 25ml and not a drop more.

A 25ml measure of Spiced Rum in a large glass topped up with Coke tastes just like......Coke:mad:...

Had anyone said that the standard measure being adopted is 25ML? In the US it is not unusual to see bars that pour by measure even though there is no standardized measure. A more common measure here is 1.5 OZ, which is roughly 45ML. This varies from the UK where I understand that the bars must pour to a standardized measure by law - no more and no less. Is this true? And if so, then what is the standardized measure for a "wee dram"?

I will say that when I've had drinks on Celebrity that include a lot of mixer such as standard margaritas, frozen or fruity drinks they have not had much liquor in them to begin with. Really need a double or a shot on the side to make them strong.

Of course drinks that are mostly spirits are a bit stronger such as those served at the martini bar but they charge more for those.

Had anyone said that the standard measure being adopted is 25ML? In the US it is not unusual to see bars that pour by measure even though there is no standardized measure. A more common measure here is 1.5 OZ, which is roughly 45ML. This varies from the UK where I understand that the bars must pour to a standardized measure by law - no more and no less. Is this true? And if so, then what is the standardized measure for a "wee dram"?

I will say that when I've had drinks on Celebrity that include a lot of mixer such as standard margaritas, frozen or fruity drinks they have not had much liquor in them to begin with. Really need a double or a shot on the side to make them strong.

Of course drinks that are mostly spirits are a bit stronger such as those served at the martini bar but they charge more for those.

LSIMON here makes some excellent points (notice they do that a lot in their postings :) )

I have travelled all over Canada and the USA... and let me tell you it isn't just the UK that has "measured pours".

This is for sure a Canadian thing too... a standard pour being aprox 1-1/2 ounces of hard alcohol... and YES here in Canada it is regulated by law (We have very severe DUI Laws on the Books... in Canada it is a criminal offence)

Interestingly... "medically speaking" one serving corresponds to 1-1/2 Ounces of Alcohol - 12 Ounces of Beer - 5 Ounces of Wine... and these are what North Americans consider "Standard Pours"... even if some places still choose to free-pour.

I think the drive to go to measured pours is coming from two different directions...

(a) Healthier living... people want to know how many units of Alcohol they consume

(b) Financial Reasons... the bottom line. There was a time when free pouring was everywhere in the USA... us Canadians thought we were just so "Provincial"... BUT since the US Recession, more and more places are taking on this system so as to control costs, and track where there alcohol goes (to the point that many bars are installing machines that self-measure... and NOT leaving that task to the Bartender... be it that those fancy enomatic machines that Wine Bars are installing... or these contraptions that fit over the neck of bottles and measure out an exact amount)

So I don`t really understand the hostility that your post conveys towards the cruise line…

The info that the Cruise Line has provided seems pretty factual… THEY DO sell a Marvellous Drinks Package.

After doing extensive investigations for my own upcoming cruise... and taking the time to do the calculations... I've quickly come to the determination that it will be a cost-saver for us because the Package covers so much more than just alcohol.

Look for the STICKY at the top of this the Cruise Critic Celebrity Board... there is one the shows the breakdown costs of ALL Drinks offered on board.

Take the 5 or so minues to figure out what you`d consume in a day… or a week… and see if you don`t come out ahead in the long run (Celebrity offers 2 levels of the Package... Classic & Premium)

Last week there was a thread running here on the Board... and many Cruisers were surprised to find out what sounds like a lot of money upfront... is actually a big money saver in the long run.

And it won't matter diddly to me if they are free-pouring or not... if I want another shot, I`ll just ask. I`ll have already paid for it, and won`t be fretting about some bill after the cruise is over.

Convenience AND Cost Savings… works for me.

Cheers!

The other thing to point out that here in the UK, there are 3 different standard measures, depending on where you live.

In mean old England and Wales, you get a 1/6 Gill or 24ml, the Scots go one better and give you a 1/5 Gill (28ml), but hopefully Celeb are using the Northern Ireland measure of 1/4 Gill i.e a whopping 35 ml :)

If they are bringing this across the fleet, isn't it going to cramp the style of the cocktail and martini bar staff ?? No more fancy mid air pouring, etc, etc.

Whatever size the "measure" is, I'm sure it won't detract from our cruise. ;)

I too read that info on the UK website and was most dissapointed ,but then remembered that the actual size of the measure in the USA is much larger than the mean spirited measure in England and Wales . Coming from Scotland we are slightly better with the measure.

But as we are having the premium drinks package all of the above is interesting but will not affect our enjoyment one jot !

Cheers

Scotslizzy

...If they are bringing this across the fleet, isn't it going to cramp the style of the cocktail and martini bar staff ?? No more fancy mid air pouring, etc, etc..../

Yes it would. While nothing is certain, I just can't see them cutting out the fancy bottle and mixing theatrics in the new fancy martini bar "stages" they've put on most of their ships and are in the process of converting the remainder of the fleet to.

Besides, I believe that the talented and experienced staff behind the Martini Bar have poured so many drinks by free pouring that they come extremely close to the measured pours. Anyone who has seen their theatrics including making and pouring a half dozen or more martinis at once, occasionally including both full size and small martinis at the same time, can attest that these guys know how to do a free pour that in fact pours out "spot on".

I too read that info on the UK website and was most dissapointed ,but then remembered that the actual size of the measure in the USA is much larger than the mean spirited measure in England and Wales . Coming from Scotland we are slightly better with the measure.

But as we are having the premium drinks package all of the above is interesting but will not affect our enjoyment one jot !

Cheers

Scotslizzy

Hi,

Agreed it will not affect those on drinks packages nor will it affect those who drink beer or wine by the bottle.

I had a whisky where they used a measure which looked equivalent to a double. It was probably US 1.5 oz measure - can't see why they would us UK measures on an American ship!

My wife drinks vodka & tonic, did not complain about the strength of the drink. Most of the time we did not see if a measure was used or not as we were not sitting at the bar. Overall strength varied from bar to bar which suggested there was still some free pour. She felt that it was at least = to double.

Jim

Scotland always does things a bit different and in the case of Spirits we have always been able to sell either 1/5th or 1/4 gill, although England standard measure was a 1/5th which is just a splash in the bottom of the glass. The normal pour in Scotland tended to the 1/4 gill and in fact you will still find many pubs in Scotland called the Quarter Gill. When we went metric some years ago and ml's entered our vocabulary Scotland retained the choice of the equivalent metric measure, the decision is made by the Pub Licensee which of the measures is served and the measure and prices have to be displayed in a prominent position at the Bar. To retain their license, premises are inspected by undercover staff by local licensing authority trading standards officers to check that exact measures are being given. Discerning customers always know which premises sell the more generous :D measure!

In mean old England and Wales, you get a 1/6 Gill or 24ml, the Scots go one better and give you a 1/5 Gill (28ml), but hopefully Celeb are using the Northern Ireland measure of 1/4 Gill i.e a whopping 35 ml

Northern Ireland is the place to be if you want a good measure!!

In mean old England and Wales, you get a 1/6 Gill or 24ml, the Scots go one better and give you a 1/5 Gill (28ml), but hopefully Celeb are using the Northern Ireland measure of 1/4 Gill i.e a whopping 35 ml :)

/

Northern Ireland is the place to be if you want a good measure!

A 25ml measure of Spiced Rum in a large glass topped up with Coke tastes just like......Coke:mad:

On all of the cruises I have taken (Celebrity/RCCL/Holland America) they have always just poured a healthy measure into the glass directly from the bottle before adding the mixer just as it is done in most of the land based bars, hotels and nightclubs in all of other countries I have visited.

My husband is English. I am dual citizen American and Canadian. We live in the states. My husband is paid in pound sterling and I am paid in dollars. A couple of years ago when the pound was over $2.00 we enjoyed the windfall every month that he doubled his income. In fact, we danced with joy. We knew it couldn't go on forever. We never offered to give any of the extra to the IRS or whatever. Today the pound stands at 1.608 and we're still holding on tightly to that extra 60 cents per dollar.

We, at this moment, have 4 guests here from the UK. For 3.5 weeks! If I hear one more time how "the outlet malls here aren't as cheap as they used to be" or "Crikey, food is expensive at Publix", I will be tempted to, as we say here in The Excited States, "Slap the snot out of somebody." We're in a freakin' recession -like money crunch over here. You're getting free room and board etc.. The whole country isn't one big Disney World where it's all smiles and make believe. We're hurting just like every other country.

I wish X would stop introducing these "British" ideas. There is a reason we choose to sail with a US based cruise line as opposed to P&O but at this rate we won't be able to tell the difference:rolleyes:

Sailing with P&O is a viable option, especially if you are OK with a line that doesn't have one ship rated over a 4 star. Life is one big trade off, isn't it? Sometimes if one is unhappy you just have to put on your big girl/boy knickers/underpants and not winge/whine. Life is full of choices, make one, suck it up and move on,eh?:rolleyes:

On Equinox on the June 6 Med sailing, they definitely fee-poured in the Martini bar. The bartenders are good though and most know exactly what a standard measure is without a jigger being used.

I worked in a bar in college and free poured. I could hit a "shot" 99% of the time without a shot glass or jigger to measure (did it numerous times where I poured free into a glass then poured that back into the jigger to make the point).

I was just passing information on not trying to start a transantlantic war lol. Re the prices, does not worry me personally much at all as drinking alcohol isnt one of my pastimes due to medical restraints it was more an observation passed on from other forums as many ex UK cruisers on Eclipse recently have been somewhat surprised by the new policy as they had observed that those on drinks packages seemed still to be getting drinks poured without a measure but those without were having the measure (of whatever size) enforced. Once people are aware of the changes and they are correctly utilised then I imagine it will be more readily accepted.

The general observation was more on the general comments made by far more experienced cruisers than I am on several worldwide forums about the continual levying of new charges ie the announcement that RCL will be offering behind the scene tours for $155 and some cruise line or the other will be charging for late night room service, people react to things in differing ways and I dont think anyone, certainly not myself, is outstir up any reactions but just trying to make some observations based on other forum comments. With regard to the comments about decent tips I think most ex UK cruisers seem to prepay their tips now and very few people begrudge a good gratuity for good service.

Just the very comment "freepour" is an example in the difference in the terminology differences within the use of what is "kind of" the same language.

Just the very comment "freepour" is an example in the difference in the terminology differences within the use of what is "kind of" the same language.

My husband is fond of saying that UK and America are two countries separated by what we each misperceive is a common language.

I am sorry if I was gruff. Blame it on 3.5 weeks of two retired folks living with constantly complaining parents, a 2 year old and a 4 year old. I am shopped out, theme parked out, beached out, etc.. The old saying about fish and guests is true.

On Equinox on the June 6 Med sailing, they definitely fee-poured in the Martini bar. The bartenders are good though and most know exactly what a standard measure is without a jigger being used.

I worked in a bar in college and free poured. I could hit a "shot" 99% of the time without a shot glass or jigger to measure (did it numerous times where I poured free into a glass then poured that back into the jigger to make the point).

I was thinking about this, and mentioned something about it in a post above. I'd think that if you're doing the free pours, especially with the pouring spouts that slow the flow, for 6 to 8 hours a day for months that you'd get pretty accurate. A lot of the bartenders behind the counter on the ship have been doing it for years.

On our recent Constellation cruise, they were measuring most drinks. Most of them seemed fine to me, but definitely not on the strong side of things. I didn't drink at the martini bar, so I can't comment on the free vs. measued pour there.

TO BLUEAMBER,

I started drafting the below reply... BEFORE you posted again... so I've had to modify it a bit now to fit with your lastest info.

But I still think that a good part of it holds true...

(a) This may be a NEW Policy for Celebrity, but not so shocking or new for Americans... in that a lot of things have changed in America in the 10 Years... the days of "free-spending" (or free-pouring) are over... This is the NEW Millenium... be it because of 9/11 or the US Recession... which unlike previous Recessions isn't just a slow-down for some, it seems to effect EVERYONE... it is way more like The 1930s Depression... just that no one seems to use that dirty little D-word.

(b) One has to take a whole lot of what they read on OPEN Forums on the Internet with a grain of salt (or a chunk).

A lot of what is said is public opinion... and not based on fact. The Internet can be good for linking people together, and dispensing some info... BUT it also can spread false info faster than a barnfire !!

© Extra Charges... well yes a lot of folks on the various CC Boards seem to be mentioning those. But as I said in point (a) times have changed... the world has shifted... DANA77KC although now stating she was frustrated (and tired) after hosting houseguests... (and understandably so)... did make some fine points in her original reply. IT IS TIME FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE !! America has changed... don't come looking for the bargains you used to find here... times have changed... they are long gone. America is now in a fight for its economic stability... and it won't be easily won (anyone look at how the rest of the world is doing... Economic Disaster has hit far and wide)

Here then, the points I drafted before you replied...

--- --- ---

Yes it would. While nothing is certain, I just can't see them cutting out the fancy bottle and mixing theatrics in the new fancy martini bar "stages" they've put on most of their ships and are in the process of converting the remainder of the fleet to.

Besides, I believe that the talented and experienced staff behind the Martini Bar have poured so many drinks by free pouring that they come extremely close to the measured pours. Anyone who has seen their theatrics including making and pouring a half dozen or more martinis at once, occasionally including both full size and small martinis at the same time, can attest that these guys know how to do a free pour that in fact pours out "spot on".

More wise words from LSIMON...

As I already covered earlier in this post a Standard North American Pour is 1-1/2 Ounces of Hard Alcohol... most Martinis feature 3 ounces (a double-pour)

If you look at the Celebrity Drink Prices... a Standard Mixed Drink (ie Gin & Tonic, Rum & Coke, Screwdriver, Drink of the Day etc … BUT not the fancy frozen concoctions) runs somewhere in the $ 5 to $ 6 range. A Martini or something from the Molecular Bar somewhere between $ 8 and $ 12... these latter offerings being more in line with 3 ounce pours… so folks at least in my mind it all adds up.

I don`t think the Bartenders will be changing their elaborate presentation... (to see great photos of the Molecular Bar & Martini Bar folks working their magic check out TIKI MAN`s photos in the thread entitled *Random Solstice Photos* = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1443083 )

Truly believe that this all is more than anything else Celebrity`s way of keeping a better eye on the bottom line and where the Alcohol is going… so way more about their accounting practices than significantly changing the cruise experience for their passengers.

As DANA77KC so aptly said…

We, at this moment, have 4 guests here from the UK. For 3.5 weeks! If I hear one more time how "the outlet malls here aren't as cheap as they used to be" or "Crikey, food is expensive at Publix", I will be tempted to, as we say here in The Excited States, "Slap the snot out of somebody." We're in a freakin' recession -like money crunch over here. You're getting free room and board etc.. The whole country isn't one big Disney World where it's all smiles and make believe. We're hurting just like every other country.

As I said earlier… the proof seems to be in the pudding…

Want to truly get the best bang for your buck? Take a serious look at the Drink Packages and the pricing breakdown that appears here as a STICKY on the CC Celebrity Board

STICKY – Evaluating a Beverage Package?... = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243495

Cheers!

My husband is English. I am dual citizen American and Canadian. We live in the states. My husband is paid in pound sterling and I am paid in dollars. A couple of years ago when the pound was over $2.00 we enjoyed the windfall every month that he doubled his income. In fact, we danced with joy. We knew it couldn't go on forever. We never offered to give any of the extra to the IRS or whatever. Today the pound stands at 1.608 and we're still holding on tightly to that extra 60 cents per dollar.

Sailing with P&O is a viable option, especially if you are OK with a line that doesn't have one ship rated over a 4 star. Life is one big trade off, isn't it? Sometimes if one is unhappy you just have to put on your big girl/boy knickers/underpants and not winge/whine. Life is full of choices, make one, suck it up and move on,eh?:rolleyes:

You sound a wonderful host!

Unlike your guests, I'm not getting "free room and board" when I sail on a Celebrity cruise. I am actually now spending significantly more on cruises, than I did prior to the recession-I therefore expect my vacation experience to be as good, if not better than my previous experience. That's what service orientated companies have to do to keep their customers coming back-especially during these bad times.

That's how I treat my customers and that's why my business (unlike many of my competitors) is still trading well (and why I can continue to take 2 vacations per year):)

I sorry if expressing my disappointment at Celebrity's cost cutting measures does not meet with your approval. I thought the purpose of these boards was to discuss cruise related issues and express our different opinions.

I think that YOU are perhaps the one who thinks that "The whole country is one big Disney World where it's all smiles and make believe" if you think that we are only going to post how happy we are all with Celebrity and their service and never dare to express our opinion.

Celebrity still remains my favourite cruise line and I will still continue to cruise with them. I have no intention of cruising with P&O and if the time comes where I am no longer happy with the Celebrity experience (I hope it never comes to this) then I will look at trying the Luxury cruise lines or stick to land based vacations.

I do hope your "guests" leave soon-if not why not put on your big girl/boy knickers/underpants and SEND them home-you'll probably be doing THEM a favour.

Archived