Missing school, your thoughts

CanadaFour

For me I make free time for the kids and wife, and me last. I guess that is a value of mine so I make it a priority to be home for meals, games, pick up from practice, attend games if you are interested and to make it all else balance working till past midnight and up at 6am or earlier.

Family time, vacation time, sorry if you aren't in the social economic layer that can do it, maybe one should think about how they enable their children so they can :D.

To you first point. It is nice that you can arrange your work to be at all those things. Most people cannot and I believe that is the point you are missing. Most people have to be at the office or wherever at certain times and cannot just go pick up the kids or be home for dinner. The fact that you can survive on one income also shows how little you understand most people's lives since that is not the case today.

You second point is rather arrogant to be honest. My family has been affected by life threatening illnesses on more than one occasion. While those times were tough it makes you understand what is important. Maybe one day you will see that money and career success are not it.

FWIW I also know a lot of people who worked hard in school, did well in careers and now are not working due to the economic climate we are in. Point is that you have no idea what tomorrow brings.

Whether that education is achieved in a classroom or not is irrelevant.

This statement is completely inane, for if this were true, how then do you justify the fact that compulsory education has been established for children of certain ages in most, if not all, civilized countries? Obviously, society recognizes the need for development of ethical principles and a common body of knowledge if that society is to continue. Thus, states, provinces, and/or local legislative bodies establish curricula standards and attendance requirements to ensure common exposure to those principles as well as providing opportunity for students to develop those skills necessary for becoming contributing members of society. Carried to the extreme, if all parents were to exercise a laissez-faire attitude regarding governmental attendance regulations, all that can be guaranteed is chaos. As I stated in an earlier post, children may be absent for any number of legitimate reasons, such as illness, Dr's appointments, bereavement, etc., and every effort should be made to ensure that the continuity of that child's education is maintained. However, I still hold to the opinion that to withdraw a student from mandatory attendance for illegitimate purposes that could be served at times beyond the academic year is illegal and ought not to be done.

This statement is completely inane, for if this were true, how then do you justify the fact that compulsory education has been established for children of certain ages in most, if not all, civilized countries? Obviously, society recognizes the need for development of ethical principles and a common body of knowledge if that society is to continue. Thus, states, provinces, and/or local legislative bodies establish curricula standards and attendance requirements to ensure common exposure to those principles as well as providing opportunity for students to develop those skills necessary for becoming contributing members of society. Carried to the extreme, if all parents were to exercise a laissez-faire attitude regarding governmental attendance regulations, all that can be guaranteed is chaos. As I stated in an earlier post, children may be absent for any number of legitimate reasons, such as illness, Dr's appointments, bereavement, etc., and every effort should be made to ensure that the continuity of that child's education is maintained. However, I still hold to the opinion that to withdraw a student from mandatory attendance for illegitimate purposes that could be served at times beyond the academic year is illegal and ought not to be done.

In some school districts (such as ours) vacations are an excused absence and it in NOT "mandatory attendence" NOR is it "illegal" to take your child out for a family vacation. There you go painting everybody with the same brush again. READ MY POSTS and try to COMPREHEND them instead of taking a sentence out of context and applying your own interpretation....I have always stated to follow your schools policies and have NOT ever advocated a "laissez-faire attitude regarding governmental attendance regulations". My point was that what was being "taught" in the class room during that vacation could be "learned" anywhere and not just in a room with some desks, students and an instructor.

I come from a family filled with teachers and have nothing against the school system and I do not suggest people go against their school policies. I do not, however, rely on the school system to totally educate my child and I do believe that whatever is taught in the class room can be made up outside of it for any excused absence....which in our school district includes family vacations.

Carried to the extreme, if all parents were to exercise a laissez-faire attitude regarding governmental attendance regulations, all that can be guaranteed is chaos. As I stated in an earlier post, children may be absent for any number of legitimate reasons, such as illness, Dr's appointments, bereavement, etc., and every effort should be made to ensure that the continuity of that child's education is maintained. However, I still hold to the opinion that to withdraw a student from mandatory attendance for illegitimate purposes that could be served at times beyond the academic year is illegal and ought not to be done.

Then how do you explain homeschooling?

Then how do you explain homeschooling?

Even for those who prefer home schooling, the state establishes curricular guidelines which are to be followed ensuring the continuity of the educational program (at least such is the case in NYS). Granted, "how" the material is presented by the home tutor falls under the guise of academic freedom, but even home schooled students are held to the "what" of the learning standards established by the NYS Board of Regents.

Even for those who prefer home schooling, the state establishes curricular guidelines which are to be followed ensuring the continuity of the educational program (at least such is the case in NYS). Granted, "how" the material is presented by the home tutor falls under the guise of academic freedom, but even home schooled students are held to the "what" of the learning standards established by the NYS Board of Regents.

A little off track but homeschooling laws differ vastly from state to state. In Florida, the state has no say in what is taught. The state only gets to know that the child is progressing in whatever material is used via an evaluation of the child by a state certified teacher and that the child was taught for 180 days of the year. It gives the parent the freedom to go at the child's speed. My son is starting his 2nd homeschooling year, aka his official "1st grade" school year, on Monday and we will be finishing up 2nd grade math and 1st grade language skills including reading, writing, and spelling as he got through K material very quickly.

Every child learns differently and taking a child out for a week does not hurt every child's ability to learn what needs to be learned in a given grade. A parent knows their child and can encourage their child to keep up even while away from a classroom. It all depends on how much teamwork the teacher/parents have.

In Florida, the state has no say in what is taught. The state only gets to know that the child is progressing in whatever material is used via an evaluation of the child by a state certified teacher and that the child was taught for 180 days of the year.

So what are you saying? That the state of Florida has no established learning standards for it's students nor any coordinated curriculum for the various grade levels? Any home schooling parent can teach whatever he/she desires without any accountability to state mandates or assessments? what happens when the homeschooling parent is no longer capable of teaching higher levels of instruction and the child enters a traditional classroom. Whose responsibility is it to fill in the gaps between what the home schooled student knows and that to which his/her peers have been exposed? Seems rather chaotic to me.

So what are you saying? That the state of Florida has no established learning standards for it's students nor any coordinated curriculum for the various grade levels? Any home schooling parent can teach whatever he/she desires without any accountability to state mandates or assessments? what happens when the homeschooling parent is no longer capable of teaching higher levels of instruction and the child enters a traditional classroom. Whose responsibility is it to fill in the gaps between what the home schooled student knows and that to which his/her peers have been exposed? Seems rather chaotic to me.

You got the concept. There are state standards but Florida parents are not forced to follow them or given any educational material. I am using materials that follow national standards using worksheets and the like as a typical teacher would but those who believe in unschooling can do it their own way. My son is homeschooled because he has Asperger's/ADHD which causes a lot of hyperactivity which would not work well with boredom as he is far ahead of his peers academically. I refuse to medicate to make a teacher's job easier so instead I homeschool. As for later years, my husband and I expect to be able to cover most subjects and for anything we feel uncomfortable about we can use the Florida virtual school.

FWIW I also know a lot of people who worked hard in school, did well in careers and now are not working due to the economic climate we are in. Point is that you have no idea what tomorrow brings.

Thus work harder ? or do hard circumstances that don't result in the best mean one should take the easy way out as no matter how hard you work bad luck can undo it all? That I'm sorry is something you'll never see me teach or even think because you don't know what tomorrow brings so go have fun, wow :confused:

You got the concept. There are state standards but Florida parents are not forced to follow them or given any educational material. I am using materials that follow national standards using worksheets and the like as a typical teacher would but those who believe in unschooling can do it their own way. My son is homeschooled because he has Asperger's/ADHD which causes a lot of hyperactivity which would not work well with boredom as he is far ahead of his peers academically. I refuse to medicate to make a teacher's job easier so instead I homeschool. As for later years, my husband and I expect to be able to cover most subjects and for anything we feel uncomfortable about we can use the Florida virtual school.

I have to admit that with NYS being my only frame of reference, it's difficult for me to appreciate the educational circumstances found in the other 49 states, and therefore, all arguments are relative to those individual circumstances. As an aside, I admire your commitment to undertaking the education of a special needs student, and I sincerely wish you success in your endeavors.

Also, it's become apparent to me that I am guilty of having highjacked this thread beyond the scope of the OP's initial query, to wit:

I would very much like to hear your opinions on the appropriateness of taking children out of school to go on a cruise vacation. Is this OK? Educational? Important for family time? Good or bad role modeling? Does it matter where one is cruising or what you do with the time?

My opinion to the above is that it is inappropriate to take children out of school during regular session for the purpose of a cruise vacation, and therefore, not OK. There is little argument that travel is an educational experience, but IMO, one that could just as easily be achieved during non-school periods. The argument that it is important for family time presumes that appropriate opportunities for enhanced family time are limited exclusively to a specific cruise time instead of occurring throughout the year and in any number of ways. The question of good or bad role modeling apparently is dependent upon whether or not local regulations permit removal of students for purposes of family vacation. If it is not permitted, then the absence is illegal and is subject to moral and ethical questions regarding conformity to rules and regulations. What's the lesson to be learned by the student...that we only follow rules when it's convenient? I am also of the opinion that unless the travel is under the auspices of the local district and aligned with the curriculum, then it matters little where the cruise is going or what you do with the time. To be sure, the student will learn something about the world he/she experiences, but that learning is incidental to the curriculum and not an enhancement thereof.

To the original OP, you raised a controversial topic and in asking for opinions, gave voice to many...myself included. Thanks.

Thus work harder ? or do hard circumstances that don't result in the best mean one should take the easy way out as no matter how hard you work bad luck can undo it all? That I'm sorry is something you'll never see me teach or even think because you don't know what tomorrow brings so go have fun, wow :confused:

Count yourself lucky that you don't understand the concept.

Our 7 year old is in year round public school. They really frown upon pulling kids out of school for vacations since we have 3-4 week breaks every 2 months! So we are lucky that we can go places when most everyone else is in school!

But if she were in traditional calender school we would only travel when it was vacation time. Too any absences (excused or not) leads to lots of headaches and problems with the school system.

It's up to the parents to figure out what is feasible for their family/children.

And of course NOT doing it at any school age when it is end of year testing or during a period time they would be doing some sort of testing in school that could not be made up.

Tricia

cyc94 is from Canada, according to his profile.

Canada doesn't have school in late July...

Heck... are ANY kids in school in late July?

My 7 year old daughter started 2nd grade on July 11th. Year round school. So YES kids are in school in late July and August in some areas.

MY 7 year old started 2nd grade on July 11 too!:) I love the year round schools here because we can travel during all different seasons and get some really good deals. I like having lots of little breaks and not 1 big break. We are on track 1 (off Sept/Dec/March/June). They just moved us, last year we were on track 4 (off July/Oct/Jan/April). I hope we like this track as much as we liked Track 4. What track do you have?

My 7 year old daughter started 2nd grade on July 11th. Year round school. So YES kids are in school in late July and August in some areas.

MY 7 year old started 2nd grade on July 11 too!:) I love the year round schools here because we can travel during all different seasons and get some really good deals. I like having lots of little breaks and not 1 big break. We are on track 1 (off Sept/Dec/March/June). They just moved us, last year we were on track 4 (off July/Oct/Jan/April). I hope we like this track as much as we liked Track 4. What track do you have?

Hello to another Wake County mom!!! We are on track 2 and REQUESTED that track when she started Kindergarden. We will always have Thanksgiving off, our Anniversary in February off, her birthday around Memorial Day off, and then late August-first half of Sept off to travel to the beach when everyone is back in school! Love it! Sometimes prices are higher (like in Feb going to warm climates) but there are usually less people which is a big perk to us!

Isn't it a small world? :) I wonder if we go to the same school? The initials of my son's school are MCES...

I didn't even know about the year round schools when we moved here, but they are so awesome, I don't know why everyone doesn't move to that system. It saves the county so much money in school construction also.

We picked Track 4 initially so that when (in 7 more years!) both our kids are in school and the oldest one is in high school, we would have spring break off together. Also, I liked the idea of having a month off between grades (as opposed to just that week we get in July).

But I don't really like traveling during spring break because of the expense and crowds, so that wasn't such a big loss, and on Track 1 we still get the month of June off between grades. Although since they switched our track (Track 4 was overcrowded and we were randomly chosen) we missed a track out this summer :( I was afraid that my son was not going to take such a quick turnaround between grades well, but it has really worked out great - he is actually doing better than ever.

They did allow us to take off for 3 days in July for a previously scheduled vacation and supposedly those will be "excused" school days.

Each of the tracks have their good points. Track 2 sounds good because Feb is a great month to take a break from the cold, and you do get the summer weather in Aug/Sept without the summer crowds/prices. May and November are great times to cruise and good prices. My only wish is that we had year round high schools too - I am gonna be really bummed when we have to go to a traditional calendar.

Hello to another Wake County mom!!! We are on track 2 and REQUESTED that track when she started Kindergarden. We will always have Thanksgiving off, our Anniversary in February off, her birthday around Memorial Day off, and then late August-first half of Sept off to travel to the beach when everyone is back in school! Love it! Sometimes prices are higher (like in Feb going to warm climates) but there are usually less people which is a big perk to us!

First, where did I say take the easy way out?

And to a point yes you can work hard and bad luck can undo it all that is why perspective is needed. Something you seem to lack. You should enjoy things in the present. And you can do that while fulfilling your obligations. Everyone that is in favor of taking a child out has said as long as the child gets the work done.

Sorry you do not get the concept of enjoying today because you do not know what tomorrow brings. Sadly it cannot be taught; it must be experienced. Those who have faced the possibility that there might not be a tomorrow see this and understand this.

I have to admit that with NYS being my only frame of reference, it's difficult for me to appreciate the educational circumstances found in the other 49 states, and therefore, all arguments are relative to those individual circumstances. As an aside, I admire your commitment to undertaking the education of a special needs student, and I sincerely wish you success in your endeavors.

Also, it's become apparent to me that I am guilty of having highjacked this thread beyond the scope of the OP's initial query, to wit:

I would very much like to hear your opinions on the appropriateness of taking children out of school to go on a cruise vacation. Is this OK? Educational? Important for family time? Good or bad role modeling? Does it matter where one is cruising or what you do with the time?

My opinion to the above is that it is inappropriate to take children out of school during regular session for the purpose of a cruise vacation, and therefore, not OK. There is little argument that travel is an educational experience, but IMO, one that could just as easily be achieved during non-school periods. The argument that it is important for family time presumes that appropriate opportunities for enhanced family time are limited exclusively to a specific cruise time instead of occurring throughout the year and in any number of ways. The question of good or bad role modeling apparently is dependent upon whether or not local regulations permit removal of students for purposes of family vacation. If it is not permitted, then the absence is illegal and is subject to moral and ethical questions regarding conformity to rules and regulations. What's the lesson to be learned by the student...that we only follow rules when it's convenient? I am also of the opinion that unless the travel is under the auspices of the local district and aligned with the curriculum, then it matters little where the cruise is going or what you do with the time. To be sure, the student will learn something about the world he/she experiences, but that learning is incidental to the curriculum and not an enhancement thereof.

To the original OP, you raised a controversial topic and in asking for opinions, gave voice to many...myself included. Thanks.

While I still don't necessarily agree with everything you've stated throughout this thread, I really appreciate this post.

I think many of us would agree that if a school district or state sees time off for a family vacation as unexcused it would be wrong to break the rule or tell a lie to pull your kids out of school. Personally, I would re-think where I lived and/or lobby to have that rule changed (but not simply flout the rules).

I agree that travel can be educational, but I think that there are some legitimate reasons why some families must travel during school time.

And I also believe that there is much that can be learned on trips that need not be "incidental" to the curriculum. There are very legitimate lessons that one can learn that may not appear on an officially sanctioned curriculum. Simply because something is not on the formal curriculum does not mean that it is not worth learning! Because a "fact" is not by itself mentioned in the curriculum does not mean that application of that "fact" to something that is in the curriculum can't be a really great thing!

Example: Over Thanskgiving break in eighth grade, DD's science class had an assignment to "observe matter moving from one state to a different state" - liquid to gas, solid to liquid, etc. So while the majority of the kids got to write 50-words on watching ice melt, DD was on board Solstice and observed silica sand "melting" into a liquid, being manipulated, heated and cooled back into a slightly different solid. It was DD who looked at the hot glass show and got the idea that she could apply it to her assignment. She interviewed one of the glass artists. She expanded something "fun" into a learning experience that did dovetail exactly into an assignement she was currently working on. *

While I agree it doesn't take a vacation to have opportunities to apply school lessons to the real world, or the real world into school lessons -- but why can't you recognize that any experience (including travel experiences) can be valuable - rather than marginalizing learning by asserting that

the student will learn something about the world he/she experiences, but that learning is incidental to the curriculum and not an enhancement thereof.

*on that trip DD did miss about 2.5 days of school - she had off for most of the time for T-giving break, but we did have an official excused absence for the time off.

So I was thinking about this post this weekend while talking to a fellow mom. Her husband has been deployed to Afghanistan for what was supposed to be 6 months, but has now found out it will be close to a year. While he is gone she has 3 boys, ranging from a 1 yr old to 7 yr old, and one of the children is autistic.

The father gets 2 weeks off in October, and only one of those weeks her kids are tracked out (on vacation). I would have though that he would just want to stay home for those 2 weeks, but she said no, he wants to go somewhere. They haven't decided where yet or for how long. So my question is, would you take your kids out of school for that week to go on vacation with their Dad? I think I would take them out even if they didn't go ANYWHERE just so they could spend time with him... Or do you believe that kids shouldn't miss school at all unless they are sick?

So I was thinking about this post this weekend while talking to a fellow mom. Her husband has been deployed to Afghanistan for what was supposed to be 6 months, but has now found out it will be close to a year. While he is gone she has 3 boys, ranging from a 1 yr old to 7 yr old, and one of the children is autistic.

The father gets 2 weeks off in October, and only one of those weeks her kids are tracked out (on vacation). I would have though that he would just want to stay home for those 2 weeks, but she said no, he wants to go somewhere. They haven't decided where yet or for how long. So my question is, would you take your kids out of school for that week to go on vacation with their Dad? I think I would take them out even if they didn't go ANYWHERE just so they could spend time with him... Or do you believe that kids shouldn't miss school at all unless they are sick?

If its the only time the kids will see their father in a year - I would take them out. I wouldn't be where I am without my father and not having that family time would have been devistating.

First, where did I say take the easy way out?

And to a point yes you can work hard and bad luck can undo it all that is why perspective is needed. Something you seem to lack. You should enjoy things in the present. And you can do that while fulfilling your obligations. Everyone that is in favor of taking a child out has said as long as the child gets the work done.

Sorry you do not get the concept of enjoying today because you do not know what tomorrow brings. Sadly it cannot be taught; it must be experienced. Those who have faced the possibility that there might not be a tomorrow see this and understand this.

Exactly!

As for homeschooling, yes, there are "rules" and guidelines to follow in most states. That being said, you don't have to be sitting in "class" at home from X time to X time. You have information that you need to learn but there aren't rules on how/when you learn them (meaning you must be taught from 8am to 3pm, Monday through Friday). If your child can make up the work and maintain decent grades even while missing a few days of school, I don't see why there is an issue with it - whether home schooled or not.

I am generally a rule follower, but I have taken my daughter out of school for vacations before. I value education but I also value life experiences and sometimes those experiences don't fall on school breaks.

Onessa, I find I must agree with your comments regarding travel experiences as having value, and your illustration of "changes of state of matter" is an excellent one, as it relates to your daughter's science lesson. However, it today's era of high stakes assessments being administered throughout the grade levels (NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND legislation, e.g.) and their utilization for determining overall school effectiveness and performance, specialized funding, etc., I can't seem to divorce myself from wondering about what aspects of her other curricula were not addressed, such as, math, English language arts, Social Sciences, elective courses, etc. Since your daughter seems to be a responsible , conscientious student, my assumption is that she has taken or will take whatever steps necessary to maintain her academic standing. However, it is also realistic to assume that some, if not many, students are not as conscientious and only go throughout the motions of meeting educational responsibilities given the same circumstances.

To illustrate the heightened relevance given to student assessments and achievement levels, here in NYS, for example, 40 per cent of every teacher's annual evaluation is to be based upon his/her students performance on these achievement tests, and the composite achievement performance of the student body is to be used in the evaluation of the school's effectiveness. At this time, no allowances are made for students missing vital curriculum requirements due to absences. Kind of places more significance on attendance records of students as it facilitates exposure to the curriculum.

Onessa, so much of what you say makes tremendous sense to me and, in a perfect world, I could find little fault with your logic. Yet, in the reality of dealing with my only frame of reference, I.e., NYS, we continue to have some fundamental differences in educational philosophy. How about us simply agreeing to disagree?

... Everyone that is in favor of taking a child out has said as long as the child gets the work done.

..it must be experienced. Those who have faced the possibility that there might not be a tomorrow see this and understand this.

Sometimes just getting work done is missing the point, as is grades or whatever, the process the values the character built during the process is more important.

Experienced, those who don't sacrifice or have to make choices don't and will never know how to make choices or sacrfices. An easy concept, but so hard to actually do as I can see here from those that always take the good time over sacrifce. Believe it or not I love a good time as much as anyone :D

GatorMomInNC, are you a troll just trying to bait me into taking an untenable position? (Written "tongue-in-cheek" ;) so please take it in that vein.)

For the most part, this discussion has focused upon generalizations, all things being equal, regarding the advisability of taking students out of school during regular sessions for the purposes of family vacations. However, as in any discussion involving generalizations, the interjection of individual circumstances causes fluctuations in the validity and reliability of the generalized statements because all things are no longer equal. Earlier posts would bear this out as one reads that vacations are not universally considered illegal absences, for example, or that conscientious students/parents take steps to ensure that students do not "fall behind," or that the teacher will facilitate integrating the child's experience into the curriculum at little or no loss to the continuity of his/her program. However, in all too many cases, I suspect this may not be the case, and in some fashion, the child's formal educational program is compromised for the sake of convenience and/or financial savings.

That said, the scenario you outline above is of such exigent circumstances, a deployment of 1 year overseas in a high-risk locale, only the most callous of hearts would deny them the opportunity of spending those two weeks in any manner they deem appropriate. However, I still hold that the scenario you present above should in no conscientious way be equated to the parent who pulls a student out of school during regular session simply because it's cheaper to travel at that time of year.

LOL! I really was thinking about this thread while she was telling me her circumstances. I guess I just like to point out that if the issue was black and white we wouldn't be having these lengthy discussions - that every decision is informed by conditions and circumstances, everyone has their own set of values and priorities, and there is usually something that someone will consider important enough to be the exception to the rule. Some people have more pragmatic priorities, some have more idealistic, but I don't think anyone is really "wrong" just different. In the long run, I don't think the children of anyone who posts here will be permanently, negatively effected by either decision (to miss school or to opt for more family vacations) that their parents choose.

GatorMomInNC, are you a troll just trying to bait me into taking an untenable position? (Written "tongue-in-cheek" ;) so please take it in that vein.)

For the most part, this discussion has focused upon generalizations, all things being equal, regarding the advisability of taking students out of school during regular sessions for the purposes of family vacations. However, as in any discussion involving generalizations, the interjection of individual circumstances causes fluctuations in the validity and reliability of the generalized statements because all things are no longer equal. Earlier posts would bear this out as one reads that vacations are not universally considered illegal absences, for example, or that conscientious students/parents take steps to ensure that students do not "fall behind," or that the teacher will facilitate integrating the child's experience into the curriculum at little or no loss to the continuity of his/her program. However, in all too many cases, I suspect this may not be the case, and in some fashion, the child's formal educational program is compromised for the sake of convenience and/or financial savings.

That said, the scenario you outline above is of such exigent circumstances, a deployment of 1 year overseas in a high-risk locale, only the most callous of hearts would deny them the opportunity of spending those two weeks in any manner they deem appropriate. However, I still hold that the scenario you present above should in no conscientious way be equated to the parent who pulls a student out of school during regular session simply because it's cheaper to travel at that time of year.

Archived