Traditional escargot vs. "The Green Stuff"

swifty

We don't like garlic much and have had escargot prepared with butter only ... hence no parsley and therefore not green. Had to ask for - and appreciate - it as a 'special' though. We love the genuine snail taste - earthy is a good description - and they shouldn't really be chewy if they are done properly ... ideally, the texture is a bit mushroomlike too. (Yum!!!)

Ibrasu

This topic comes up now and again. I seem to remember someone posting that they had it, by request, without the green. Can't hurt to ask. I will, next cruise.

I view it as a butter and garlic delivery device.

So I'll ask the question again. Has anyone ever asked for and received the traditional, non green escargot in the MDR?

I've been on 10 cruises with Princess and to answer your question based on my experience, the traditional escargot on Princess is what you describe as "green".

This thread sure is making me hungry. ;)

I've been on 10 cruises with Princess and to answer your question based on my experience, the traditional escargot on Princess is what you describe as "green".

This thread sure is making me hungry. ;)

Me too. And my "gourmet" dining tonight will feature a green salad and a Healthy Choice Steamers.

Just had an appetizer of Escargot at a restaurant this evening - came in the shells, gigantic pieces that were like chewing a tire (but the tire would probably taste better). I've had escargot several times on cruise ships and always enjoyed it. My appetizer couldn't compare.

escagot are canned and served heated in re washable re usable shells. the shells are purchased just as side plates or small bowls are purchased. they are re used untill they break. the color of the snails are due to the brine they are canned in, such as pickles etc. yummy chewy plastic butter drenched nothings. enough butter garlic parsley and wine makes your shoe taste good. im a chef. same on a ship as a 5 star restaurant

... enough butter garlic parsley and wine makes your shoe taste good.

Great line. I wonder how many of us remember Charlie Chaplin eating his shoe in The Gold Rush. Bet a little garlic, wine and parsley would have improved the taste for him. I still chuckle every time I think of those scenes; he rolling his shoelaces up on a fork like spaghetti. Classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRSQaTVl3aA&NR=1

Archived