Traditional escargot vs. "The Green Stuff"

swifty

As far as I know that's the only kind they have. I am pretty sure its frozen as is..

Anyone know if you can order traditional escargot? I really don't like the green kind that Princess has been serving.

The green "stuff" is of course parsley which when mixed with the butter and melted rises to the surface and the dish is presented green in color.

One does not see the parsley in the traditional way of replacing the snail into a shell. But that is the prohibitive labor-intensive method

As far as I know that's the only kind they have. I am pretty sure its frozen as is..

No not frozen, I was so surprized to see that they are deshelled and jarred.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Ok, can someone tell me what escargot tastes like? I'm so curious and am considering trying it on my upcoming August cruise. Are they cooked? slimy? chewy? I have this vision of an oyster-type glob of slime.....

Ok, can someone tell me what escargot tastes like? I'm so curious and am considering trying it on my upcoming August cruise. Are they cooked? slimy? chewy? I have this vision of an oyster-type glob of slime.....

They swim around in butter/garlic and you don't really chew or bite them. Just pop in your mouth and swallow. I hate oysters; not like that at all.

The presence of so much garlic almost makes the taste inseperable. But the texture is firmer than say a well cooked scallop and certainly more chewier. Garlic butter predominates though there is a slight earthy taste in my estimation and the palate hardly has chance to discern the flavour for the short time it remains in the mouth.

They're mostly firm and kind of chewy to me, but so small that you don't really 'chew' them.

I like them though they can be a little tough, but I'm pretty sure that without the sauce they'd be a bunch of nothing.

For a lot of people (including my grandchildren, who still brag to their friends about eating snails) it's kind of a novelty item.

I liked the ones on RCI better.

Like a mushroom with slight garlic or pesto flavoring.

Ciao for now!!!

They swim around in butter/garlic and you don't really chew or bite them. Just pop in your mouth and swallow. I hate oysters; not like that at all.

Pop them in your mouth and swallow????????????? Of course you chew them if not why bother eating them, you might as well just pop some butter and garlic in your mouth......and yes its the dried parsly that floats to the top that makes em kinda greenish brown but when FRESH parsly is used and they are in the shell they do look much more appitizing, I love em but would rate cruise line escargo only about a 6 out of 10

All of the above and they are so slimy good.

No...Chew them so good and sorta like oysters also.

Depending how much parsley is used the "greenness" of the Princess escargot varies ship by ship. It is fresh parsley not dried. I have loved the escargot on every Princess ship I have been on. On the other hand, I did not like the escargot on Royal Caribbean at all, very bland.

That's my favorite too!!! I don't usually order, but my dad always does so I steal some of his leftover "juice"!

Would you believe I don't eat bread except when I'm sopping up all that garlic butter? :eek: And I never ever even buy butter at home.

Archived