Kanheri Caves- Mumbai, India

danne

Has anyone toured the Kanheri Caves? We're so torn between Elephanta Island and Kanheri Caves? Deepa at Mumbai Magic recommends Kanheri over Elephanta and she comes highly recommended on CC. Maybe I should just trust her on this one, but everyone on CC seems to go to Elephanta... I don't want to miss out on anything by making the wrong choice. Help, please!?!?

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone toured the Kanheri Caves? We're so torn between Elephanta Island and Kanheri Caves? Deepa at Mumbai Magic recommends Kanheri over Elephanta and she comes highly recommended on CC. Maybe I should just trust her on this one, but everyone on CC seems to go to Elephanta... I don't want to miss out on anything by making the wrong choice. Help, please!?!?

I have been to Elephanta Caves, but have not visited Kanheri Caves so I can’t really compare the two. What I can tell you is the method of getting to the Elephanta Island is quite an adventure in itself.

The island is accessible by ferry from Mumbai, about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) from the south east coast of the city. The wooden boats leave daily from the Gateway of India, and take about an hour each way for the journey. The ferries dock at the end of a concrete pier, from where you can walk (around three minutes) or take the miniature train to the stairway leading up to the caves. It’s lined with handicraft stalls and patrolled by pesky monkeys. Maharajas-in-training can be carried there by palanquin - a covered sedan chair (or litter) carried on four poles on the shoulders of four or more bearers. http://www.google.com/search?q=palanquin+elephanta+island&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSNA_enUS360US360&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1311&bih=539

I haven’t been there in over 10 years, but as I remember the cost of this service was $1 USD. Quite interesting!

Click on the links below for additional information on both sites. I hope this helps.

Ron

Kanheri Caves:

Elephanta Caves

Two years ago, we used Mumbaimagic and thanks to Deepa has the time of our lives during our two days in Mumbai.

We went to Elephant Island (exactly as Cruzer Two described above) well worth the visit, but on the other hand Deepa knows her country and what her customers have reported back so I would trust her judgement 100% and I can promise you you will not be disappointed with Deepa.

Ron

April-11. We booked with Deepa for 2 days and visited Kanheri Caves. We saw lots during the day and had a very comfortable coach 10 of us on a modern 18 seater, lots to drink and a free lunch well worth booking with her. The caves are quite a drive the other side of Mumbai but it is good to see the sourrounding areas. It is very busy then you turn in to a large natural park which is an oasis in all the bustle. We were the only non Indians there when we visited. You can see monkeys on the way. We loved it but it was hot and there are lots of steps but you do see a piece of history.

The island would be very busy if there are other cruise ships in. On our tours Deepa arranged for us to arrive on the quiet times so the tours were great and a very good price.

Archived