Norwegian Fjord Cruise on Celebrity Constellation

4merLandLover

Hi All,

I'm planning to take this trip next summer and want to hear from anyone who's just returned. How was it? I was on Connie before the rennovation and am looking forward to the changes.

I'd love some details. What was the group like? Were they mostly Europeans? Or what was the split? What's the general age range? And how formal. I was told the Celebrity European departures are generally dressier and a younger crowd than my Caribbean experience. How many formal nights (I don't trust their web site on this)? And how formal? For us, dressing up is part of the fun, but we don't want to feel out of place. How was the food? I've heard it's gone downhill a bit since the renovation, but that it may be getting better again (but still better than many competitors). We've opted for Select Dining, but may change based on comments. We don't normally do special orders, so don't mind if waiters change, but don't want to feel like we're rushed or ignored. Also, if food is too cold and seating selection not great or long waits?

What are some of the port highlights? We are pretty active and enjoy hiking and biking so think Norway will be great for that. Anything else you can tell me?

Thank you in advance for any responses. I'm so looking forward to the trip.

LandLover4Now (but you've changed my mind and can't figure out how to update my screen name)

Have not been on the Constellation in Norway, but we just did our first cruise with Celebrity and did a wide range of areas in Norway last July.

I have heard lots of great things on the Constellation from good friends who sailed her doing many of these same Norway stops. We were impressed with our Celebrity experience last month. The crew was excellent, food and service were very good, nice ship, adult leadership treating people well, etc., etc. Below you can see more on our Celebrity experiences, etc. In these Europe areas, most passengers will be from the US, but there is also a decent number from Canada, the UK, Australia; some from German, Spain, Japan, etc. Generally, it's a good mix of passengers and crew. English is the language used on the ship.

Last summer we had stops in Geiranger, Alesund and Bergen. Loved all three of those wonderful places. In late July 2008, we did a stop in Oslo during a Baltics cruise. Lots of great art and other attractions of interest in that Norway capital. Below are some pictures on four of these great places. From the below Norway postings, you see lots more on Norway, plus key details on Bergen, Alesund, etc. Tell us more on what you most want to see and do in these great areas of Norway. Happy to share more, answer any questions, etc. Plus, it would also be good for you to check the Northern Europe/Baltics at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Do some scrolling back there and/or use the search function for each of your port cities there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 21,052 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 46,449 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top, somewhat right, two of the docked ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

This picture shows the main, historic fortress next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. The very interesting Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Oslo's Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless".:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

Hi All,

I'm planning to take this trip next summer and want to hear from anyone who's just returned. How was it? I was on Connie before the rennovation and am looking forward to the changes.

I'd love some details. What was the group like? Were they mostly Europeans? Or what was the split? What's the general age range? And how formal. I was told the Celebrity European departures are generally dressier and a younger crowd than my Caribbean experience. How many formal nights (I don't trust their web site on this)? And how formal? For us, dressing up is part of the fun, but we don't want to feel out of place. How was the food? I've heard it's gone downhill a bit since the renovation, but that it may be getting better again (but still better than many competitors). We've opted for Select Dining, but may change based on comments. We don't normally do special orders, so don't mind if waiters change, but don't want to feel like we're rushed or ignored. Also, if food is too cold and seating selection not great or long waits?

What are some of the port highlights? We are pretty active and enjoy hiking and biking so think Norway will be great for that. Anything else you can tell me?

Thank you in advance for any responses. I'm so looking forward to the trip.

LandLover4Now (but you've changed my mind and can't figure out how to update my screen name)

We did the Norwegian Fjords on Connie...but that was a few years ago now...

We're doing them (along with Iceland and the Faroe Islands on the Eclipse next year--July 7, 2012)...

We also cruised on the Eclipse last summer...

We haven't noticed our cruises in this region as being any more or less formal--except that, on the whole, Celebrity tends to be a bit more formal that other mass-market lines.

We cruise in Europe quite a bit...and over the years, we've seen the Celebrity passenger mix going farther away from what was once almost completely North American...I think it's just that they've done a much better job in marketing to the UK...It's an obvious market for them as it's so easy for the British to hop on a ship that's sqailing our of a local port (For years, they had left this market to those cruise lines, like P&O and others that catered strictly to the UK...But Celebrity has a superior product and the British are discovering that)...

I'd guess, at least from participation in our Cruise Critic roll call, that our Eclipse cruise next year will be about 50/50 UK/North America...Our Eclipse cruise last year was probably close to that...

With the Connie going out of Amsterdam, perhaps a few less from the UK than with the Eclipse--which sails out of Southampton...

As to the ports, they vary on different itineraries...and you didn't tell us which sailing you booked...

We thought Geiranger was very impressive (just look at TLC's photos)...Of course, it's also very mountainous...so, if you are really into biking, I hope you are in very good shape!

Thanks Terry (great photos ) and Steve,

Here is a map of the Norway itinerary we'll do next summer.

AMS_SVG_OLN_MOL_AES_ALN_SLN_BGO_OSL_AMS.gif

If you, or anyone else, can fill us in on the ports or other info about the ship & fellow cruisers demographics, that would be great. I checked the roll call for next year, but that's not really what I'm interested in (yet). Would love to hear from anyone who's returned from this itinerary earlier this month. All is quiet from them on the "Back from your Celebrity sailing" forum too. Do you think I should cross post there?

Thanks again.

Archived