Currencies in Baltic ports

I've heard that we can use euros in Stockholm and Oslo, even though they aren't the official currency of those countries. It would certainly be easier if I didn't have to get a little bit of each of those currencies for the half day we spend in each port. Can anyone comment on whether I'd be able to use euros in those cities, particularly for taxis and entrance fees?

Thank you!

I've heard that we can use euros in Stockholm and Oslo, even though they aren't the official currency of those countries. It would certainly be easier if I didn't have to get a little bit of each of those currencies for the half day we spend in each port. Can anyone comment on whether I'd be able to use euros in those cities, particularly for taxis and entrance fees? Thank you!

Some shops/private merchants might take euros. Some might give you a decent exchange rate, some not that good. Many shops will only do the local currency or credit cards. In general for Stockholm and Oslo, many of the cabs and key places requiring admissions will take credit cards. There are ways to work it out, but . . . don't assume that euros will work most places in these two cities. Credit cards are a better bet for many places than hoping for euros working.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 21,052 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 46,449 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

I've heard that we can use euros in Stockholm and Oslo, even though they aren't the official currency of those countries. It would certainly be easier if I didn't have to get a little bit of each of those currencies for the half day we spend in each port. Can anyone comment on whether I'd be able to use euros in those cities, particularly for taxis and entrance fees?

Thank you!

If your plans are to use public transportation such as trams, ferries, etc. than you will need local currency. Otherwise, as Terry mentioned, use a credit card. But even then be careful that it is the 'right one' with the PIN and Chip, unless there is an attendant there that can still help you with the 'old card'.

I would suggest getting a few dollars worth of Krones aboard the ship before you get there. That way you know what the exchange rate is up front and it saves a lot of hassles.

In Oslo, only the tourist shops would have any chance of taking Euros. Taxis definitely won't, and I don't believe most museums would. However, there is no minimum credit card purchase. Locals frequently use their cards to pay for little things like a soda from the corner grocery (granted, that alone costs $3).

I definitely remember the Vasa museum takes EUR, but cc probably the best way to go. I have a chip and pin card so can't comment on any problems US citizens might have with cards. It is best I think to have at least some local currency, also remember even if places accept USD or EUR you will probably get any change in local currency.

Oslo some shops took euros,in stockhom royal palace took euros but gave change in krona. This came in handy for toilets , but if you want to use local transport i would get some local currency to be on the safe side.

We had no trouble using our credit card "without a pin" in any of the stores during our Princess Baltic Cruise. In Oslo I was going to use left over euros in one store, but the salesgirl even warned me that I should use a credit card because her exchange rate on euros will be bad for me. You will need Krones for all public transport, and also the toilets.:). (found that out the hard way LOL).

Thank you!

bakery

As you stated in a past post you will be on the Emerald August 9th

Come join our roll call

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

I paid one euro at a church in Helsinki I think, I also paid 5 NKK in Oslo. Be sure you have some euro for sure if you don't have local currency. Also I used euro in Stockholm for ice cream and water at street vendor.

My worst nightmare.........not having enough money for the restroom:eek: How much do they charge?

Archived