Cruise Deposit

rhohea

I have just booked a Riveria cruise - May 6, 2012 to tack onto the back of 2 cruises that we had previously booked - Riveria April 14 & 24, 2012.

With both the April cruises we were told the deposit was $1250 pp which is $500 pp more than Oceania website states. Relunctantly we paid this amount to secure our selected cabin.

Yesterday when I was required to pay my deposit for the 3rd cruise the deposit has gone up to $1350pp.

When I asked why we were required to pay an extra $5/600 our TA told us that the Oceania rep in Australia had told her we will loose any amount above the $750 as a cancellation fee. :mad:

I do not think this is fair. I understand the cancellation fees that are set out if cancelling so many days after final payment but if we cancel B 4 final payment I had expected to get the full amount back or at least the full amount transferred to another cruise. Who sets the deposit amounts????:confused:

Can someone tell me - If I book & pay a deposit while onboard Riveria next year, I assume the deposit will be $750 as it was last year when I booked on Insignia. Can I transfer that deposit to another Oceania cruise if needed.

Also varies by caabin, the suites having a higher deposit.

The two April cruises are both B3 and the May 6th is Cat C guarantee. At this stage the B3 cabin is not available for the 3rd cruise. I wish they were suites.

Rhonda

Looks like the new deposit rate is $750 pp up from the usual $500 pp

(Suites are 20%)

As for the additional deposit they are charging Aussies that seems quite unfair since they are saying the extra is kept as fees if cancelled

Since you do not have a choice of who you can book with (it must go through the Australian GSA)

It is highly unfair

We in North America can shop around & find an agent that does not charge fees for cancelling

Maybe the Aussie should start a letter writing campaign against unfair business practices ;)

Just my 2 cents

Lyn

Rhonda

Looks like the new deposit rate is $750 pp up from the usual $500 pp

(Suites are 20%)

As for the additional deposit they are charging Aussies that seems quite unfair since they are saying the extra is kept as fees if cancelled

Since you do not have a choice of who you can book with (it must go through the Australian GSA)

It is highly unfair

We in North America can shop around & find an agent that does not charge fees for cancelling

Maybe the Aussie should start a letter writing campaign against unfair business practices ;)

Just my 2 cents

Lyn

Rhonda and I have been corresponding for YEARS about the stranglehold that the Australian supplier has on that market.

Rhonda and I have been corresponding for YEARS about the stranglehold that the Australian supplier has on that market.

Me too

Yes they are is a monopoly situation & held hostage by the suppliers;)

I think the same problem exists in the U.K.

I think they can apply for the refund through travel insurance..at least that is what an acquaintance on the cruise told us

From what we were told that would require proof if illness or death. It's not a cancel fro any reason like the Oceania deposits we pay.

From what we were told that would require proof if illness or death. It's not a cancel fro any reason like the Oceania deposits we pay.

That is probably true....I know they had to cancel before final payment (for medical reasons) but had to go through insurance for a refund

Archived