Just got back from the Galaxy

fireguy091

Welcome back, fireguy.

Have some questions about the condition of the Sky Suites, in particular, and the ship maintenance.

Will wait until you unpack!

Hope you had a wonderful time.

Pincus

Hey Fireguy, how was your butler? I heard him whining on his phone one day saying something like "better than working on these filthy ships."

We had a different butler, Ivo, who was great. He left to go home yesterday after 9 months on the ship.

Pincus, we were in 1229. The suite was in great condition. The carpet is worn and faded near the both doors. Otherwise, everything was clean, appeared almost new, and was in good working order.

The huge veranda collected a fair amount of soot, but Dias cleaned it several times.

The ship is not nearly the dump that I was prepared for after reading these boards. It also appeared almost new, clean and in good working order.

Kumar and Laurance were the best waiter and assistant we've ever had.

My review is coming in a few days. I have to get caught up with work first.:(

The ship was in excellent condition, considering its age. Even more excellent (or fabulous!) was the staff. They sent me home feeling relaxed and renewed.

Galaxy '05

Mercury '03

Rhapsody of the Seas '02

Costa Victoria '01

Lisa, we also had Ivo. Ivo had all the suite on our side of the ship. We were in 1207. Our cabin was in fine condition what more can I say...:)

I will first try to answer questions then after a few days I will give my opinion of the overall cruise. Bottom line though is nice ship good service and better than average food. Most people are afraid to ask for things, you won't get it if you don't ask. our table asked for a special type of pie every night and they did there best to have it made for use. Our favorite was lemon meringue pie and we had one every night plus a few others.

Lisa, thanks so much. Normal wear and tear is to be expected, but I had been concerned about the "dump" aspect you mentioned. Thanks for clearing that up.

Fireguy, thanks for your information.

And to you both -- thanks for posting so soon after your return.

Welcome home!

Pincus

Lisa, was it a taller islander looking fellow? If so he was the butler for the other side. Maybe they had a supply room on our side of the ship. I asked Ivo how many rooms he had and he said every suite on our side of the ship.

No wonder Ivo was so happy. Besides finally getting some time off, I think he's going home fairly well off. The national average yearly income in Bulgaria is around $7500.

The mystery whining butler was probably 5'6", fairly young, cute, and either mediteranian or hispanic. I saw him several times - always at your end of the hall. He was even doing tea once. Do they have backup butlers?

fireguy and others, glad you had such a good time on Galaxy and I am looking forward to your fuller review.

We had Ivo as our butler the year before last. I didn't find him to be the warmest of personalities, but very professional and willing to offer advice on excursions. He would always ask "what are you doing today?" whilst delivering breakfast and always had a view on what to see and do.

As for the whining butler, I didn't think they were allowed to drink in front of passengers;) :rolleyes:

Phil

canderson,

I'm watching for your email...:)

Pincus,as I have said, don't worry about the condition of the ship. It's clean and everything works. What more can you ask for. I don't know what other ships you have sailed on. With that said the ship is approaching 10 yrs old and styles have changed. ie. the rcl Radiance class ships have walk in closets in the smallest class suites which would be the equal of a sky suite. But the rcl balconys are about 1/3 the size. So what do you want a bigger closet or balcony,lol. The sky suite bathrooms were smaller than the rcl suite but again what do you want. The room is large enough for 2 people and the balconys on deck 12 make up for the smaller room. Sky suites on deck 10 are another story. Bottom line, I liked my room and the ship but there are alot of things the newer ships have that I like better. I will go into more detail on that later if anyone wants to know. Especially for those who haven't decided what ship or line they want to sail on. All cruises and ships are good..:) some are just better.

canderson,

I'm watching for your email...:)

Pincus,as I have said, don't worry about the condition of the ship. It's clean and everything works. What more can you ask for. I don't know what other ships you have sailed on. With that said the ship is approaching 10 yrs old and styles have changed. ie. the rcl Radiance class ships have walk in closets in the smallest class suites which would be the equal of a sky suite. But the rcl balconys are about 1/3 the size. So what do you want a bigger closet or balcony,lol. The sky suite bathrooms were smaller than the rcl suite but again what do you want. The room is large enough for 2 people and the balconys on deck 12 make up for the smaller room. Sky suites on deck 10 are another story. Bottom line, I liked my room and the ship but there are alot of things the newer ships have that I like better. I will go into more detail on that later if anyone wants to know. Especially for those who haven't decided what ship or line they want to sail on. All cruises and ships are good..:) some are just better.

Well said, fireguy! Normal wear and tear is to be expected, but some of the other reports re maintenance were worrying. Thanks for your reply, now we can go ahead and make our plans for Galaxy later this year. Love those Sky Suite balconies on deck 12!

Welcome home, once again.

Pincus

We were also in an inside cabin on the March 10 cruise. One of the tiles in the shower came loose one day, but by evening, a repairman had come in and fixed it (our steward noticed it and reported it). The attentiveness of the staff makes up for the age of the ship.

Archived