Beach suggestions needed

travelgirl913

have you ever been to Sunset House? (Herb/Cathy are family)

Oh, yes, many years ago. If you are a diver and doing your first dives on Grand Cayman, chances are quite good that you would stay at Sunset.

They have a good fleet of dive boats, equipment and personnel.

Now, as far as the resort (hotel) goes, I wouldn’t necessarily consider it a destination within itself. It is certainly adequate and the rates are reasonable for The Caymans. It is not to be compared with the Hyatt Regency, Marriott Grand or the Westin Casuarina, but it offers a good, clean room at a nice location close to the West coast beaches.

As you may, or may not know, scuba divers really don’t care where they stay as long as they get to dive. We don’t overindulge in food and drink, so that glamorous side of a resort doesn’t really factor into our decision.

If you just plan to spend the day at their beach and have lunch at the SeaHarvest, you will have a good time. Seven Mile beach is just up the road a bit and you can check that out should you get bored. :)

(Just noticed your avatar! You'll really enjoy Sunset. For divers, you cant do much better on GC!)

we used to stay at the old Holiday Inn which has been torn down...best fun was when Barefoot Man was playing:D GC has become too commercial, sad to say. Best pix were a beach entry dive to Devil's Grotto!!! Family members have the underwater photo shop at Sunset House....so many memories, so little time....

Going to Barbados on cruise in September. We would like to go to Payne's beach but need shade. I know they have beach chairs but any umbrella's. If no shade then will got to boatyard. Another question, do either of these beach areas have waves. I don't want rough water but would like a little wave action. Thanks for any info. Gail

Going to Barbados on cruise in September. We would like to go to Payne's beach but need shade. I know they have beach chairs but any umbrella's. If no shade then will got to boatyard. Another question, do either of these beach areas have waves. I don't want rough water but would like a little wave action. Thanks for any info. Gail

Boatyard has beach chairs & umbrellas available as part of the fee ($12) you get $5 back in food/drink tokens) There is no other shade other than sitting at the bar or under the pier - that is where the local police stood all day.

The day we were there, I would characterize it as medium wave action.

• 4 years later...

Barbados, I am glad I found your post. BTW-We are from Salem/Albany Oregon, do you need anything from home??!! We are heading out your direction in February and at a loss of what to do. We have been there two other times and we did the turtle cat trips both times and loved it but are looking for something new to do. We never really have seen any of the island. We like to drink rum and have fun but the boatyard sounds a little too many people for our likes. Payne's is more up our alley, can you snorkel at Payne's we have all our own equipment. If you had only one day on your island what would your choice be? We have also thought about shopping but it does not appear there is much shopping to do there. How is the diving? 3 of our group are PADI certified but when looking it does not appear to be a great place to dive.

Thanks for all your input; I can't wait to hear back from you

Kevin and Pam

PS you are living our dream, to be out in the islands at least part of the year, the web feet that grow about February here are getting out of control....our dream is to live on a cat part time and see all the islands

Archived