Military/3rd&4th Person Discounts - Are they gone?

stephuney

Hi - I havent cruised in about three years, and it has also been a while since I logged onto this website ... I'd almost forgotten how much information you can get from all the knowledgeable cruisers on these boards!

Anyhow, I have been looking at Carnival's website for a cruise out of Galveston for next summer, and it seems like I used to remember an option to indicate whether you were military for the military discount (similar to the past guest discount) when searching for deals ... but I dont see that anymore ... is that discount gone? Also, it looks like the rates are now the same for the 3rd and 4th travelers in the same cabin ... are those rates no longer discounted either?

Thanks for your input,

Stephanie

Hi - I havent cruised in about three years, and it has also been a while since I logged onto this website ... I'd almost forgotten how much information you can get from all the knowledgeable cruisers on these boards!

Anyhow, I have been looking at Carnival's website for a cruise out of Galveston for next summer, and it seems like I used to remember an option to indicate whether you were military for the military discount (similar to the past guest discount) when searching for deals ... but I dont see that anymore ... is that discount gone? Also, it looks like the rates are now the same for the 3rd and 4th travelers in the same cabin ... are those rates no longer discounted either?

Thanks for your input,

Stephanie

You have to call your TA to get the military rate with Carnival. It is a little more price wise then if you went with the Super Saver rate, but the difference is that if you have to cancel, you have the benefit of getting all your money back. For an upcoming Dream cruise, it would have cost me $30 more per person to do the military discount over the Super Saver rate. I went with the super saver rate - if I have to cancel, my insurance will cover me.

If you do go with the military rate, you will be required to send in a copy of your DD214 or other acceptable document, which they will then keep on file. Future sailings you will not be required to resend in this information as it will be assigned to your member id number.

as for 3rd and 4th passengers, i do not see a great savings with CCL. Same with RCI. NCL on the other hand it is very advantageous to have a few extra people in your room, and makes it cost effective to get a villa with another couple or with the kids coming.

You have to call in for Military rates. They are not posted on Carnival's website.

The website currently shows an average when you do a booking for 3 or 4 people. If you do a mock booking for only 2 people, you will see that the 3rd and 4th are actually cheaper than the first two.

You have to call your TA to get the military rate with Carnival. It is a little more price wise then if you went with the Super Saver rate, but the difference is that if you have to cancel, you have the benefit of getting all your money back. For an upcoming Dream cruise, it would have cost me $30 more per person to do the military discount over the Super Saver rate. I went with the super saver rate - if I have to cancel, my insurance will cover me.

If you do go with the military rate, you will be required to send in a copy of your DD214 or other acceptable document, which they will then keep on file. Future sailings you will not be required to resend in this information as it will be assigned to your member id number.

as for 3rd and 4th passengers, i do not see a great savings with CCL. Same with RCI. NCL on the other hand it is very advantageous to have a few extra people in your room, and makes it cost effective to get a villa with another couple or with the kids coming.

We cruised on the military discount with Carnival before, and our discount was significant ... so they dont offer significant military discounts any more? Where do I find Super Saver discounts? Maybe I missed that on the website.

The website currently shows an average when you do a booking for 3 or 4 people. If you do a mock booking for only 2 people, you will see that the 3rd and 4th are actually cheaper than the first two.

OK, thanks ... I didnt realize that ... I will have to go back and look at that ... I did a mock reservation for 2 and when I added the 3rd&4th, I didnt see any change. I will have to pay closer attention.

Thanks

We cruised on the military discount with Carnival before, and our discount was significant ... so they dont offer significant military discounts any more? Where do I find Super Saver discounts? Maybe I missed that on the website.

I use my military discount everytime. 5 years ago my sister and I were $100 less than my mom and aunt.

This year I don't know how much less it was..but I know that it was less..I didn't pay that much attention to it this year since I wasn't the one paying. But I did get the discount. I think it was about $100 total for the 2 of us.

As for the DD214. Some of the PVPs will keep it on file. However..our new one doesn't because it has my SSN on it. So I have to fax or email it to him everytime. But I appreciate that he is trying to safe guard my info so I don't mind emailing it to him.

I think OP may have meant Early Saver discount?? I have been calling about the military discount about once a week to compare with my early savor in case I can get an on board credit!! So far ES I booked is still cheaper than military for my sailing in October.

I use my military discount everytime. 5 years ago my sister and I were $100 less than my mom and aunt.

This year I don't know how much less it was..but I know that it was less..I didn't pay that much attention to it this year since I wasn't the one paying. But I did get the discount. I think it was about $100 total for the 2 of us.

As for the DD214. Some of the PVPs will keep it on file. However..our new one doesn't because it has my SSN on it. So I have to fax or email it to him everytime. But I appreciate that he is trying to safe guard my info so I don't mind emailing it to him.

thanks for the discount info ... I will call my TA tomorrow.

as for the DD214, not a concern ... we have lots of copies of that - ha!

I dont know if anyone has explained to you that if you are looking at the rates on carnival.com and have more than 2 people, they are AVERAGING all the rates together.

To figure out what the discounted rates is for 3/4 pax, just book the same cruise for 2 people and you will see the rates go up . those are the real rates. .. or use a TA site.

Sounds like you are seeing the averaged rates, not the real rates.

I dont know if anyone has explained to you that if you are looking at the rates on carnival.com and have more than 2 people, they are AVERAGING all the rates together.

To figure out what the discounted rates is for 3/4 pax, just book the same cruise for 2 people and you will see the rates go up . those are the real rates. .. or use a TA site.

Sounds like you are seeing the averaged rates, not the real rates.

Yep, post #3 above.

Archived