Men's advice needed!!

spcopps

Dh told me last night he was going to get us a bottle Don Perignon for our sail away toast...is this crazy or just me? It will be our 11th anniversary and our 3 kids first cruise. I appreciate the gesture BUT should I tell him to get something cheaper and risk hurting his feelings or should I just let him do what he wants?? I just keep seeing $$$ signs and think of what I could do with that money:rolleyes:

Dh told me last night he was going to get us a bottle Don Perignon for our sail away toast...is this crazy or just me? It will be our 11th anniversary and our 3 kids first cruise. I appreciate the gesture BUT should I tell him to get something cheaper and risk hurting his feelings or should I just let him do what he wants?? I just keep seeing $$$ signs and think of what I could do with that money:rolleyes:

A lot depends on if that is real money to you. I wouldn't do it, but for some.....

Tell him you'd rather use the money to book reservations at the Steakhouse on board, assuming you're cruising on a ship that has one. (for the 2 of you it'd actually be cheaper than the Dom). Kiddies can go to Camp Carnival, O2 etc.... while you're at your special dinner.

A lot depends on if that is real money to you. I wouldn't do it, but for some.....

Agreed...

If it is real money to you, maybe you can equate it to something as a trade off. "That sure sounds like a memorable sail away, but what about a couples massage." "What if we did a cheap bottle of Asti and then did an after hours party for the kids in camp so we can have a night out?"

Something like that tends to appeal to the logic side sometimes :)

I agree with the other poster. Book the steakhouse for the first night and you get a free bottle of wine, the restaurant to yourself, and avoid the chaos that is the first night in the MDR.

The steakhouse is so good, and he even gets the check ($30/pp) at the end so he can feel like he's paying ;)

I would let him do it, maybe he is getting a great deal the Dom P..lol

The fact that you are asking,says you know he is sensitive about things.

Op appears to be booked on Imagination, so no steakhouse

You are correct Imagination so no steak house. You are also correct he is a very "sensitive" guy. He wanted us to book the Imagination for this cruise because it is the same ship we sailed on for our honeymoon and he wanted us to be on the same ship for our anniversary and kids first sailing. We didn't luck out for the exact cabin but did go for the Grand Suite again so I am assuming even after dry dock it will be pretty much the same room LOL.

As for the money being "money" to me, it is but I also know he wouldn't put a price tag on making me happy sooo..

You are correct Imagination so no steak house. You are also correct he is a very "sensitive" guy. He wanted us to book the Imagination for this cruise because it is the same ship we sailed on for our honeymoon and he wanted us to be on the same ship for our anniversary and kids first sailing. We didn't luck out for the exact cabin but did go for the Grand Suite again so I am assuming even after dry dock it will be pretty much the same room LOL.

As for the money being "money" to me, it is but I also know he wouldn't put a price tag on making me happy sooo..

You hubby sounds so sweet. If he's sensitive then maybe just him do hie thing. Sounds like he's trying to make this very special. Have fun!

BTW - How much is a bottle of Don Perignon ?

I would just let him do it. If he is doing this for you as a gesture, even if you would prefer something else, just accept it for what he means it to be. IMO, to him, it seems like it is meant to be something special. Appreciate the meaning behind it and have a wonderful cruise.

I personally would buy Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame Champagne if I was going to spend over $100. It's about $20 cheaper than Dom and I think it tastes better. Of course for $45 you can get a great bottle of Moet & Chandon. If you don't drink champagne on a regular basis this is the one I would choose. It tastes pricey but isn't.

You hubby sounds so sweet. If he's sensitive then maybe just him do hie thing. Sounds like he's trying to make this very special. Have fun!

BTW - How much is a bottle of Don Perignon ?

The cost is here is between $150-$200 depending on year. I know he is trying to make it special that's why I didn't want to hurt his feelings;). I guess I can always make a mimosa after our departure toast..Got a question, can we have the left over sent to the dining room and pay the corkage fee for dinners or are you only allowed to do either in room or dining room??

Well not to sound rude but it sounds like he wants it for him...to make him happy............so I say .................Make him happy :)

Must be nice to afford so much for booze.

Who said we could afford it:p. Seriously though I wouldn't have thought anything about paying this BEFORE having kids but many of you know with 3 kids $$$ becomes less:D.

So does anybody know if an open bottle can be sent to the dining room if we pay the corkage fee or is it either in room OR dining room??

I don't have personal experience, but on several other threads folks have said they haven't been charged the corkage fee. Just depends on the server. If you open it in your room (bring your own corkscrew) then just fill your glasses before you head to the MDR and take them with you.

This is from a female perspective...Champagne is my favorite drink and what I usually have around the house. I normally drink Korbel Brut, can range anywhere from $10-16 a bottle. Took 2 bottles with me on both my cruises. I have had Dom P. twice and think Korbel is just as good. Another poster mentioned Moen & Chandon which is good also and not as pricey as Dom P.

I would mention to your husband that you appreciate the gesture but have found a couple other champagnes that are just as good and more reasonbly priced and ask him if it would be ok to buy one of those and spend the difference on other things during the cruise.

Yes, the Dom is expensive but at least if it will not "break the bank" you'll have a great memory. Way back in '89 we were staying on St. John, USVI over the Christmas holidays. We didn't know what to do on Christmas (besides church of course) so we ended up getting a bottle of Dom, making a couple of bologna sandwiches and going to the beach for the day. Expensive and a little quirky but it's something we talk about frequently almost 22 years later. We wouldn't want to erase that memory. Something to think about.

If you or him have never had Dom, and he is doing this as a Gesture or just to make it "Special" I would think twice. It really is not that good, IMHO. I have had it on 2 occasions, and never finished the 1st glass either time. Just not the best tasting, again, IMHO.

Would much rather have a nice Asti instead.

Enjoy :)

You can carry a bottle on board (Dom, Moet, etc.) in your carry on luggage. Cheaper than buying it on board. Have the steward ice it down for you. Enjoy sail away and carry the opened bottle to dinner. We've never been charged a corkage fee when we take an opened bottle of wine to the MDR. Enjoy --

Archived