2nd Cruise - help me decide 5day dream or 7 day carnival

ktmo

We (me, DH, DD6, and DD4 are planning our second cruise). In April, we took our first cruise, RCI Enchantment, to Port Canaveral and Nassau (we missed Coco Cay due to weather). We are booked on the Disney Dream, 4/1/12, for a 5 day cruise, deluxe family balcony cabin. We would have to drive or fly from MD. This cruise goes back to Nassau and then to Castaway Cay.

We drove by the Carnival Pride today while it was docked in Baltimore and DH started talking about changing to the Pride for 7 days. I priced it out and it would be around $700 more the Carnival cruise, but we wouldn't have to fly. This is for connecting rooms. It also goes to places we haven't been, Grand Turk, Freeport, and somewhere else. We loved being able to drive to the port and not have to worry about flying. I would also love to go somewhere new.

These dates also include our anniversary and our youngest's 5th bday. So, I want to splurge.

Any thoughts? I really want to do a Disney Cruise, but there are so many benefits sailing out of Baltimore. But then there are all the benefits of a new ship and Disney.

We cruised the Disney Dream this past april and LOVED it. The only bad thing, was it was TOO short!

For the price, I would go Disney this time. Disney prices have been climbing & climbing. In fact, Im waiting until the next release date to even book again (I have a dummy date booked), as they are all SO much more than what we paid last april.

That being said, we are going to try a Carnival cruise next year, on the Carnival Dream (price was a big factor).

Disney was a great family cruise, you won't regret it!

I'd take the 7 day cruise on Carnival. You already said you would like to drive to the port instead of flying and would like to visit ports you have never been to. I know lots of folks disagree with me but I for one think Disney is over rated. I have been on Disney, Carnival and Royal Caribbean with my grandchildren and their least favorite was Disney.

Thanks everyone. I just booked the 7 day Carnival cruise that is local. I think that the biggest thing was having DH agree on it and he really liked being able to drive to Baltimore in less than an hour. I canceled Disney.

I am looking forward to going to different places and having 7 nights.

We keep considering a Disney cruise but it's always so darn expensive. That said, we've been on several Carnival cruises (including the Pride) and always have a great time. I think for us 5 days would be too short.

Our kids also loved the Camp Carnival program. You'll have a great time!

That's a tough one. I'd love to do a Disney cruise someday but I have enjoyed being on Carnival so much that I'd hate to stray away. I think Carnival Pride will be your best bet. No airfare, drive to port, more ports of call, more cruise days... Not to mention that your kids will have a blast at Camp Carnival. Carnival offers a lot for families, so you cant go wrong. Pride is older than Disney Dream, but it's still in top notch shape and a beautiful ship.

Archived