Credit cards in Bermuda

LizG12

In one of the travel guidebooks I read recently I saw that the credit card purchases need a PIN number. I called my bank to find out about getting a PIN for my credit card and they said that credit card purchases don't need PIN numbers so they can't assign one.

Am I going to be able to use my credit card in Bermuda without a PIN or should I plan to use my debit card (which has a PIN). I'd rather use the credit card, but if it won't work, then well, I guess I won't use the credit card.

What you've been reading about is a different type of credit card that is being widely used in Europe. The card just doesn't require a PIN...the card also contains a special chip.

This isn't a problem in Bermuda...your regular credit card will be accepted just as it is at home.

Hi Liz,

No problem with any AmEx, Mastercard or Visa here. All stores accept them.

In fact we encourage you to use your cards so you don't have to carry too much cash (although we accept U.S. Dollars too, which are on par, one for one, with Bermuda Dollars).

Even most taxis can now process your card.

Have Fun!

Hi Liz,

Slight correction to my last post, since I did some research for a question on another thread. I had said here that most taxis take cards.

I should have said that most owner-operated taxis do, but most others do not. In light of this, I would always assume that you'll need cash for taxis. If you want to book one for a sightseeing tour, ask ahead of time whether you can use your card or not.

Have Fun!

Archived