Kids, Mexico, notorized letter from other parent

Mommatron

Does anyone know if you need to have a notorized letter from the other parent if only 1 parent is taking the kids to Mexico? I had heard that more than once but I think it may be only if staying overnight or something. :confused:

Yes, a notorized letter from the other parent is needed. When I took my children to Mexico two years ago, no one in Mexico asked for it, but the airline in the U.S. did before we were allowed to board our Mexico flight. The airlines are so picky because (from what I understand) if they allow you to fly without the letter and Mexican authorities catch the blunder, the airline has to fly you back at their expense. So, no letter = no boarding = no refund.

Letters are needed ANY time you remove your children from the United States, even if for a few hours. Again, chances are no one will ask to see it, but if they do . . .

There are exceptions: If you are divorced and have paperwork designating you as the SOLE custodian of the children both physically and legally. Bring your decree if that's what it says and you won't need the letter. If anything in your divorce decree says "joint custody" you'll need the letter. Also, I'm guessing here, but if the children's birth certificates don't name the biological father, I'd guess you could bring the birth certificate without any letter because the father has no legal claim to the children.

Our friends are traveling with us on our upcoming cruise and the dad has two children from his first marriage; his first wife died unexpectedly years ago. They have to bring the first wife's certified death certificate to show why he won't have the notorized letter for removing his children from the U.S. without their biological mother. Sad, but true.

Good luck!! Hopefully you'll get cooperation from your kids' dad!

My DH got a letter from his ex to take his daughter on our cruise with us. It was all filled out and all she had to do was sign and get it notarized. It also served as information for her so that SHE knew where her daughter would be. DH listed all flight info, ports of call, etc.

Are you cruising or flying directly to Mexico?

Two years ago I took the children and my mother on a cruise. Hubby (who is the dad) stayed at home. As I was driving to the port, I began worrying about this. Did I need a letter from my husband giving permission to take the children out of the country? Idle minds tend to wander. I worried about this all night (we drove down the day before).

When we arrived at port to check in, not once did Carnival personnel ask for a letter. All that worrying for nothing.

Carnival never asked for my letter either. It is mostly the Mexican officials you have to worry about. I think when flying this is definitely a concern. My friend didn't have her letter and they wouldn't let her board until she got it. I always say better safe than sorry. I have a letter from several years ago that my husband and I had notarized saying I could take my daughter to Mexico anytime. I have used this same letter 3 - 4 times. Never been asked.

Candi

Royal Caribbean required that kids not traveling with both parents last year have a notarized permission letter from the absent parent, so I was assuming that Carnival did also. But when I called the cruise line, I was told this is NOT the case with Carnival. I didn't just take one person's word for it - I called back two other times and got the same response.

A TA friend said this may change down the road. I normally take what I read here at Cruise Critic with a grain of salt, but in this instance, I believe the posters are correct. But why take their word for it - call Carnival yourself and ask. 1-800-CARNIVAL.

Good Luck!

Just returned this morning from Carnival PRIDE cruise to Mexico. I took ALL documentations......permission forms from ex-spouses, full custody papers, divorce papers, etc.......

We were never asked for anything from Carnival OR any Mexico official. I even took the kids school picture ID's and everytime I tried to present it with their birth certificates, they just waved it away like they didnt want it or need it.

I'm still glad I went prepared!!!!

I have been thru this myself with my 17yr old daughter. It is not so much Mexico as it is the U.S. as a previous poster stated. I was not allowed to board a flight at LAX until I had a letter of consent. What we did was rush to the notary's office at LAX and drafted up a document stating that I had sole custody for that one week. It cost me $25.00. I showed them my divorce decree, but that wasnt good enough. they tried to scare me about being stuck in Mexico, but Mexico could care less, and NEVER has asked for papers. I have crossed the border by car millions of times with her! Flying seems to different.

Guest planning to debark in Mexico for more than 24 hours must obtain a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure. Additionally, guests debarking with children must have a notarized affidavit from any absent parent indicating permission to travel with the accompanying adult. http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_travel_document.aspx

When I booked, Costco TA informed me that Carnival required a notorized letter from my stepsons mother before he could travel with us on the ship. I typed the letter and sent it out immediately so all she had to do was sign and have notorized. We also have school ID, even though he is only 10. I am taking everything, just in case. I'd rather be safe than left on the dock.

We took our 10 (at the time) yr old grandaughter on a cruise 2 years ago and we had to have a letter signed and notarized by both parents. And the carnival rep at the terminal DID ask for it.

I would be safe-I would get the letter from the other parent just in case-you could be like us and get that a Carnival employee that asks for it.

I have an Affidavit of Parental Consent in pdf format if anyone would like to have a copy. (Is there a way to post it here?) It is a 4 page document, but it covers three different scenarios. The first page is just the cover letter from the travel agent. The first document is for one parent who is traveling with the child and the other parent is not -- both parents are alive. The next document is for a child who has one deceased parent and is traveling with the living parent. The last document is for a minor child to travel without both parents, and the adult he is traveling with would be his guardian for the duration of the trip.

I personally would rather be safe than sorry. I used this on my last trip with my daughters when my ex did not go with us. Better to spend 10 minutes and maybe $5 getting this done ahead of time than to be asked for it at embarkation and not have it.

I would MOST DEFINITELY get this done if you are ever traveling with a kid who is just a friend of your kid. What if -- god forbid -- someone claimed their child was kidnapped and you are sitting with him in Mexico? That certainly wouldn't look very good!

I drive over the border all the time and the only time we had a problem was once coming back and as we were coming into the USA, they stopped and asked me to be quiet while they questioned my daughter and son if they were brother and sister and whether or not I was their mother...only because my daughter is dark and I am light. My hubby was not with us and they never even asked me about her father.

I took my daughter on a cruise when she was 16 and to the Bahamas when she was 14. Both times I took a notorized letter from her Dad. I know I needed it for the cruise. It's not that you are staying over night, it's that you are taking a child out of the country and they want to be sure you aren't kidnapping them from the other parent. We read about that kind of stuff in the news all the time.

It's a minimal cost and inconvenience. Get one. You don't want to be disappointed on cruise day!

Archived