The best cruise line on the planet?????

wtevrfltsurbt

Hello!

I come to you avid cruisers to pose the following question:

What is the best cruise line on the planet?

My DH and I are looking for a line that does NOT nickle and dime you from the time you set foot on board, that offers an exceptional experience with regard to service, even if it is substancially more expensive. We would prefer to take a vacation every other year if we have to due to the increased cost. I guess the problem is that when I have cruised in the past (MANY years ago) the service was absolutely incredible, and I am still looking for that type of service. There are many lines I have not tried yet and rather than go broke trying them all I thought that perhaps feedback from you seasoned cruisers would give us a clearer picture of whats out there. Destination is not important, neither is the food, just put me on a ship with great service and I am happy. So I guess reading this post as I write it I should rephrase the question to :Who provides exceptional service?

Thank you

I've sailed Princess (2),NCL(1),and HAL(2) in the last 3 years. We enjoyed all of them and I think each line has something that they do maybe a little better than others. But if I were to compare just service, hands down it goes to HAL. The crew is mostly Indonesian and they were genuinely warm,friendly,smiling,gracious, and hospitable hosts from the Captain who was very visible throughout the cruise down to the busboys in the buffet area. That's been my experience but I'm willing to keep trying new things.

Melissa

What are you looking for? The best cruiseline for you may or may not be the best for me. What about cost? What kind of hotels do you think are excellent? What kind of restaurants do you find outstanding? It really makes a difference.

If you love the Outback then you will love certain cruises, but would be miserable on Crystal, for example.

The Ritz in Paris (hotel) and Sabatini's in Rome (restaurant) the cost is important 'cause we are not rolling in dough, but I am willing to pay alot more to truely get that type of service.

Thanks!

What are you looking for? The best cruiseline for you may or may not be the best for me. What about cost? What kind of hotels do you think are excellent? What kind of restaurants do you find outstanding? It really makes a difference.

If you love the Outback then you will love certain cruises, but would be miserable on Crystal, for example.

If you believe Douglas Ward, who publishes reviews of all cruise ships, Hapag-Lloyd's Europa is the best thing going. Grill Class on Cunard also ranks very highly. If you are willing to pay 5-figure fares, there it is. Ne plus ultra.

This can be so subjective as people want different experiences from cruising. I see you are booked on a Celebrity ship soon, it may fit your needs well. I've only been on one Celebrity cruise so far and the service was excellent, with the prices not being too astronomical. It was a different ship, Infinity, so I don't know if that will make a difference. Across the board the service ranked higher than the other lines I have cruised, but it depends on the servers who wait on your table, the room steward or butler assigned to your cabin etc...

If I were you, I might visit a few of the boards here and ask how consistent the service is within a line. My husband has a client who has been cruising often for years. He and his wife swear by HAL, perhaps check them out.

CherAime,

If you are looking for great service and food with absolutely no nickel and dimeing Seabourn is the way to go.

All cabins are outside suites. 208 guest with a crew of 198. All inclusive including liquor and tips.

Seabourn also offers 1 complimentary shore excursion on most 7 day sailings more on longer sailings.

You cant beat the value and the service especially if you like to have cocktails.

Some people will scoff at the price but if you factor everything in you will be surprised how close it comes to the mainstream in an outside cabin with 2000 passengers and a crew of 400. That right there will factor into the service level.

Hope this helps.

Stop by the Seabourn board and see what you think. We are a great bunch of people who are very laid back and like to have a good time.

mcboo:):):)

That is so hard to say. I have had great cruises and not so great cruises on the same line-once even on the same ship.

Alot of what affects your enjoyment is the crew and service and that can vary greatly. Most crew members take 8 month contracts. then they had 6 weeks at home and back to a cruiseship usually a different ship and often even a different line. so you can take a cruise on a ship and 2 years later on that same ship you see none of the same staff.

Also too your enjoyment is affected by fellow passengers. Mostly this has been great for us-but there have been a couple of times we were not so happy because of other pasengers.

Yes there are charges for more upscale resturants and alochol. Usually I am happy with the reg. dinner-they are still like a 4 star resturant and serve things like lobster tails, lobster bisque, escargot, fillet mignon and tirimisu in these resturants. I drink very little alochol myself so i never have a big bill for that. They do charge extra for carbonated drinks and cappicinos also-no big deal to me-it is not like I drink a lot of that either. The exceptions are Disney carbonated drinks are free unless you order them in a lounge. On HAL they had a free cappicino bar on most ships.

I do know there are all inclusive lines that include cost of alochol- but these lines you pay like $5000 a person for one of the less expensive staterooms as opposed to spending around a $1000 or less on lines Like Princess, RCCL or Carnival. To me that is a big differance in price-and I would have to drink a WHOLE lot of alochol, carbonated drinks, and cappicino to make up that diffence.

Alocholic drinks run anywhere from $5 to $8. If a person drank 10 a day that is $80 or a $560 bar tab for the week. So that would make it about $1600 a person as opposed to $5000 a person. Now if you are in to wine and must have the best-that is a different story-then maybe you would be better off in an all inclusive since a bottle of wine can run a $100 or even more.

If you want the best in cruising, without the nickel and diming, then you have to go on one of the all inclusive luxury lines and stay away from the mass market lines like HAL, NCL, RCCI, Carnival or Princess. You would need to go either to Radisson, Seabourn (the very best and all inclusive for drinks and no tipping) or Silversea. You can also try Crystal, who's been voted as the best large cruise line in the world. They are considered in the luxury market, and they do include some things like bottled water and soft drinks.

If you want the best in cruising, without the nickel and diming, then you have to go on one of the all inclusive luxury lines and stay away from the mass market lines like HAL, NCL, RCCI, Carnival or Princess. You would need to go either to Radisson, Seabourn (the very best and all inclusive for drinks and no tipping) or Silversea. You can also try Crystal, who's been voted as the best large cruise line in the world. They are considered in the luxury market, and they do include some things like bottled water and soft drinks.

My problem with these that they are at least 3 times the price- sometimes more. This person says they do not want to be "nickel and dimed to death". So that means they are looking for a good value. With the differance in price you can buy a lot of alcoholic drinks, bottled water, carbonated drinks and cappicinos and TIP I would think. We always tip very well and heck-three of us can stay in a balcony room, have what we want of these "extras" and still come in for less then $5000. (the cost for one person on some of these all inclusive lines) Now if we fly to port that ofcourse adds on extra but I just can't see how going on a luxury line all inclusive saves money.

Guys what do you think being "nickled and dimed to death" means? Perhaps the original post should clarify.

What I meant was: the soda cards, the extra $ for ice cream (outside of mealtime), the $5.00 drinks, the ENDLESS sales crap at the salons when all I wanted was a massage, they even charge a $1.00 for a deck of cards now! I'm not looking for ANYTHING for free, but it is a major pain to have to dig in your pocket every 5 minutes for the "little" things. IMO they should just charge something more for the cruise and call it good. Having said that, I am sure that there are many folks out there that dissagree with my view and thats what makes the world go round, it's just my opinion.

Thank to all who have shared their opinions and helpful tips!

Happy cruising

My problem with these that they are at least 3 times the price- sometimes more. This person says they do not want to be "nickel and dimed to death". So that means they are looking for a good value. With the differance in price you can buy a lot of alcoholic drinks, bottled water, carbonated drinks and cappicinos and TIP I would think. We always tip very well and heck-three of us can stay in a balcony room, have what we want of these "extras" and still come in for less then $5000. (the cost for one person on some of these all inclusive lines) Now if we fly to port that ofcourse adds on extra but I just can't see how going on a luxury line all inclusive saves money.

Guys what do you think being "nickled and dimed to death" means? Perhaps the original post should clarify.

Until you get to the premium lines, everything you mention is extra. Some lines, like Celebrity, are just not as obnoxious about it. They don't have the constant announcements about what bingo game or art auction is going on. They realize we are adults and can make those choices from reading the daily newsletter. I cannot comment on Princess or HAL because I have not been on those lines yet, but I do know that Carnival, NCL and RCCL all make announcements for events all day. For us, it is annoying, for others, they may like the reminders.

What I meant was: the soda cards, the extra $ for ice cream (outside of mealtime), the $5.00 drinks, the ENDLESS sales crap at the salons when all I wanted was a massage, they even charge a $1.00 for a deck of cards now! I'm not looking for ANYTHING for free, but it is a major pain to have to dig in your pocket every 5 minutes for the "little" things. IMO they should just charge something more for the cruise and call it good. Having said that, I am sure that there are many folks out there that dissagree with my view and thats what makes the world go round, it's just my opinion.

Thank to all who have shared their opinions and helpful tips!

Happy cruising

Well I never cared for the deck of cards anyway-I have plenty at home as "souveniors" already and ROOK is the game we like so we don't NEED those decks of cards. As far as sales pitches they are everywhere. Heck we are on the nationial "no call" list but we still get calls from our music and book clubs, our bank, even stupid Bell south trying to sell us crap. I got so mad at Bell south (they are our phone and internet provider) that I told them if they called again (they also came by our house TWICE) I would change to their competior.

And heck if I order anything by phone I have to listen to a sales pitch trying to talk me into buying more whether it is QVC, Chadwicks, Fingerhut, Vitaminlife whatever. I almost always get ticked off with them and say "Look let me order what I want and leave me alone about the rest".

I also get tired of all the credit card applications we get. We have 2 cards that is all we want, and even them send us those "checks" like every month-I am CONSTSANTLY shreding that crap.

So I just figure that is the world we live in-still I have the courage to say "No thank you-do not give me any more sales pitches-just give me the service I requested" and if they keep on I do not mind getting RUDE-I figure a high pressure salesperson who will not take NO deserves that.

As far as the cost for ice cream. I hate the rich stuff. I only occassionially get the self serve stuff. I don't buy Ben and Jerry's or Hadgen Doz at home-I go for Breyers. I guess that is to everyone's preferance though but to me with all the rich desserts served at dinner why would any one want that stuff? I am surprised they sale that stuff anyway. There are so many FREE choices on a cruise I just don't understand why. As it is I tend to gain about 5 pounds every cruise and it takes me a good while like a month to get my weight back down. I sure don't want to make it worse.

But still guys and I am asking this geniunely-I am not being sarcastic. How many have taken a Carnival, RCCL, Princess or NCL cruise and later taken one of these all inclusives? Did the TOTAL cost REALLY end up being the same?

First off, not at all to offend but nothing is free on a cruise, it is included, I just get a little weird when I see FREE on posts.

I would highly doubt that the all inclusive lines would come out anywhere near the same cost as the mainstream cruises. When I have checked prices, the premium lines are 2-3 times what the others charge. Being moderate in our spending, there is no way we would accumulate onboard charges that total more than our cruise cost. Not that I wouldn't mind going on the premium lines, we just cannot afford that right now.

We have a bottle of wine every night at dinner, perhaps a few cocktails during the day or evening, an ice cream or two and a few coffee drinks during the week. We do purchase one or two photos, so our total for the week is usually around $500 or so. I don't think our consumption habits would change on a premium line.

I have to agree completely with the OP, it is nice to have great service and wonderful accomodations leaving behind the "in your face" demand to spend extra.

I think this question of the "best cruise ship" is so subjective. My dh and I have cruised a number of times and I prefer to try out new ships and be adventurous. My dh on the other hands just loves Princess. He feels quite comfortable on this line and right now has no desire to try a different line. In fact we are going on our third Princess cruise in 15 months in July! I guess he really likes it.

First off, not at all to offend but nothing is free on a cruise, it is included, I just get a little weird when I see FREE on posts.

I would highly doubt that the all inclusive lines would come out anywhere near the same cost as the mainstream cruises. When I have checked prices, the premium lines are 2-3 times what the others charge. Being moderate in our spending, there is no way we would accumulate onboard charges that total more than our cruise cost. Not that I wouldn't mind going on the premium lines, we just cannot afford that right now.

We have a bottle of wine every night at dinner, perhaps a few cocktails during the day or evening, an ice cream or two and a few coffee drinks during the week. We do purchase one or two photos, so our total for the week is usually around $500 or so. I don't think our consumption habits would change on a premium line.

That is about our bill also and we also spend around $300 total on tips on top of this as we do normally tip a little better the "suggested" but I am with you I like to pick whether I want an extra service or not-I don't want to pay for services I am not going to use.

I rarely drink carbonated drinks. I don't care for rich ice cream. I drink alcohol and gourmet coffees modestly-I do enjoy them- but I don't desire a lot. I also think the bottled water thing is a rip off. I never buy it at home-after reading a consumer's report that showed very little differance in tap water and bottled water and that bottled water can often be contaminated also just like sometimes tap water can be comtaminated.

The person complaining about the spa trying to sell them a bunch of stuff also made me wonder is that stuff included in the price of an all inclusive? I would not think so. If it isn't I am sure they do the sales pitches too. and even if tips are included-most of us tip extra for better service so I am sure people still tip on all inclusives.

But as I said these hard sales sales people are just a fact of life-I am faced with them every day. I learned a long time ago how to say a firm no.

I

I think this question of the "best cruise ship" is so subjective. My dh and I have cruised a number of times and I prefer to try out new ships and be adventurous. My dh on the other hands just loves Princess. He feels quite comfortable on this line and right now has no desire to try a different line. In fact we are going on our third Princess cruise in 15 months in July! I guess he really likes it.

I am with you Jean. I like cruising different lines. I have no desire whatsoever to only cruise one line.

Now I would not mind trying an all inclusive if we could afford it but we can't. And there is just no way I believe it is really cheaper unless people really drink a lot of expensive wines at dinner or something.

Now I posted to a person on the RCCL board who was really into wine. His complaint was his normally $40 bottle of wine was $100 on ship. He liked to have wine every night at dinner-maybe for him it would be cheaper for him to do an all inclusive.

Premium lines might or might not be "all-inclusive". Crystal is not, others include extras to a varying degree. The cost differential also includes the fact that the ships are much smaller and have high crew:guest ratios. You have more people taking care of you, and these people are no doubt earning a premium salary compared to what they would earn on a mass-market line. The cost basis is entirely different for a premium line.

Premium lines might or might not be "all-inclusive". Crystal is not, others include extras to a varying degree. The cost differential also includes the fact that the ships are much smaller and have high crew:guest ratios. You have more people taking care of you, and these people are no doubt earning a premium salary compared to what they would earn on a mass-market line. The cost basis is entirely different for a premium line.

That is what I understood-that beer and most wines are included (maybe not the $100 bottles of wine though?) But besides beer and wine you paid extra for alcoholic drinks but that may have been just one line that I checked into.

I just felt for the price of the cruise ( I can't remember the line though) we could do a RCCL voyager class or Princess grand class ship-book a balcony and come out for less money. It was more then double the cost of them and it included beer and wine not things like Martinis or foo-foo drinks.

I don't like being nickeled and dimed like I am more and more on Celebrity.

The free "Champagne" served when you board is not, and neither is the bottle on ice in your Concierge Class cabin; rather, it's a cheap French sparkling wine.

Also, the "Captain's Cocktail Party" in the theatre has become the "Captain's Welcome Toast", with the result that you only get a choice of "sham-pagne" or Mimosa (made with the aforementioned), rather than a wider selection of beverages as used to be the case.

And finally, even in the "Captain's Club Officers' Party", for the most loyal passengers, only a limited number of drinks types is offered gratis, rather than carte blanche bar orders - if specially requested - as previously.

Considering they only pay $7 a litre or less for most booze, how much do they think we're gonna drink in forty minutes?

momofmeg, you need to do some researching on the luxury lines because there are some great deals out there. Crystal recently had some cruises for 7 days on the west coast that started at $950 per person. That's cheap even for Carnival or RCCI. They have some prices for two week cruises that are going for less than $2K, which is pretty good for two weeks. It's all relative when you're looking for the "best", which the luxury lines are. I recently did a RSSC cruise that had a two for one sale, which means one person sails free. Not many mass market lines do two'fers.

I think you misunderstood the "nickel and diming" question. What's usually meant by that is having to sign all the chits whenever you want anything on the ship, not saving money booking a cruise. Some people just don't want to pay for coffee, bottled water, ice cream, soda, and things like that.

Archived