Arriving in NY on QM2 - Help

bluebell101

We are sailing into NY end of August on QM2 (very excited)

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations please in getting to Manhattan, we have a hotel booked near Empire State Building, and would like to pre book either a cab or car.

Travelling with lots of cruise luggage and 2 kids, so public transport not an option !!!

Thanks so much :)

As you can imagine, you're not the only person who has wondered how to get from Red Hook to Manhattan. This thread may prove helpful to you. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28824198

How are things going Thaxted. I guess the pre-cruise excitment should be reaching fever pitch by now ?

How are things going Thaxted. I guess the pre-cruise excitment should be reaching fever pitch by now ?

How good to hear from you, Sharon! Excited? How about excited and dazed, both at fever pitch?

Let me begin with dazed. We've had a tumultuous two months to say the least. Just as we were in the midst of a delightful, if utterly irresponsible, pre-cruise spending spree, my wife came down with a herniated lumbar disc that put all our plans in doubt. Then came an army of mice that seemed destined to permanently occupy our apartment.:eek: And while all of this was going on, I, like a recovering hypochondriac who must avoid medical websites, had to shield my eyes from the reports that pop up here and elsewhere recounting every conceivable peril of the sea.

But don't worry. That's only the dazed part of my life. My feet did not get cold. The excitement was far too great and it grows daily as we approach the moment when we step on board at Red Hook. For the past several days we've been contemplating life on the QM2, joyfully (if somewhat frantically) stuffing our newly purchased clothes and heaven knows what else into the luggage we bought for the occasion. I've printed our tickets, we have our B&B reservations, and our passports and rail passes are in hand. And our son, who was thinking of spending his summer holiday in Turkey, was so taken by our plans that he'll be joining us in Cornwall instead before heading off on his own to Ireland.

We leave for New York on Sunday, and on the 27th we'll be singing "le jour de gloire est arrivé!" If you'll be in Exeter on August 3rd or 4th, do let me know. I imagine that a drink or two (or more) would be in order!:D

John

As you can imagine, you're not the only person who has wondered how to get from Red Hook to Manhattan....

Imagine how my Dutch ancestors felt :)

As a child growing up in New York, I was captivated by the story of New Amsterdam. In elementary school we visited Dyckman House and Van Cortland Manor, and I remember reading a little biography of Peter Stuyvesant. Indeed, to this day I think of the Dutch heritage every time we cross the Tappan Zee bridge. How far back have you traced your Dutch ancestors, Salacia? I wonder what they would make of Red Hook today!

Archived