Beginner Scuba excursion either Cozumel or Grand Cayman

saru96

I am going on the Carnival Valor 9/4/11-9/11/11 With stops in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman islands. both offer Beginner Scuba at each location. Which port do you think the scuba would be better ? And for those that have done this excursion before which port excursion did you do and what did you like about it? I don't want to do both, so I want to see which one is my best option to see some cool stuff.

thanks for your help

Are you certified but just not very experienced? Or uncertified and want to learn?

DH says (I don't dive) Cayman is better in both cases. Cozumel has good diving and is probably cheaper, but Cayman has better diving. And if you aren't certified, he says definitely go with Cayman because their instructors will usually be more reputable.

Yeah im NOT certified this will be my first time scuba diving. I was leaning towards Grand Cayman to begin with but wanted a little more into. Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it.

Has your DH ever dove in GC? If so which spot did he go to?

Contact Sunset House and book on your own

I've been certified for 30+ years with many many dives ... I accompanied dd on a discover dive at Sunset and was VERY happy with their performance.

A cruise later I booked a Coz' discovery dive for her - which I also went along with - and I found the performance to be WAY less.

What you'll see in either case is very variable cuz of the restrictions on your dive and the ups & downs of any site from day to day. But Sunset Divers will do a first rate job on the PADI side of the experience IMO

Has your DH ever dove in GC? If so which spot did he go to?

:D DH has also been diving for 30 years, since he was 13 or so, and we have a vacation home on Grand Cayman, so he's dove here quite a bit. There are hundreds of great dive sites around the island...he hasn't had a bad dive here yet, so I'm sure wherever your excursion takes you will be a good first experience.

DH has also heard good things about Sunset Divers, and it's close enough to the port that it shouldn't be a problem booking on your own rather than going with a cruise excursion, as long as you let them know you are completely new to diving and what time the last tender back to the ship is... :D Even the ship excursion will be fine, though...there's lots of good dive companies in Cayman.

Sunset divers and sunset house are the same thing right?

Do they do beginners scuba there or just certified people? i tried to look on their site and it only looked like certified only maybe i was looking in the wrong spot.

Another place to check out: Eden Rock Diving Center in Grand Cayman. I just booked with them for our trip in a few weeks. They offer Resort (Discover) Diving Courses for $90 per person. Carnival's similar excursion is $120 pp.

Eden Rock has very good reviews on Trip Advisor. They are located near the tender dock, so it should be just a short walk there.

I'll post a review when we come back.

Archived