White Pass Scenic Railway to Fraser, BC -Passport card?

GrandmaJan7

We have passport cards as well as our passports. Wondering if we can just use our cards on the railway trip to Fraser. I feel it would be safer

to be able to leave our passports in the safe on the ship.

We are new cruisers and welcome any insight.

If this is the train from Skagway up to the Yukon, you are not allowed off of the train...at all. You will not be touring the Yukon. It's just a turnaround site for the train. Beautiful scenery and a fun trip.

I'm not sure what a "passport card" is, but they say if you go on the train that you need to have a passport, so I'd take mine with me. There are ways to carry it safely. Have fun on the trip the Whitepass train ride was so much fun.

If this is the White Pass Railway trip that departs from the dock, you will not need a passport at all since you will not be able to get off the train at any time. The Yukon part is a stop where the train engine is moved from the front of the train to the back for the down hill return. You'll see some wonderful scenery.

Lots of ambiguous/incorrect info here. I hope I can clarify a bit, though I can't say for sure if a passport card is okay when they say passport required.

If you take the train round trip (3.5 - 4 hour trip) then you only go into B.C. (not Yukon!) and never get off the train. For this, you do not need a passport. This is the ONLY trip you can take that does not require a passport, because you never set foot on Canadian land.

If you are taking ANY other trip, you need a passport. Some are train to B.C. then right back down by bus, and don't go into the Yukon. Others continue to the Yukon by bus. No matter what you do, if you enter Canada, you need a passport.

I do not know the restrictions for the passport card. I would check with the White Pass RR directly to be sure. They may have info on their web site regarding this.

We took the White Pass Rail trip last year which involved a train/van round-trip connection. Although we did bring our passports along we were not asked to show for inspection. I think for most US/Canadian citizens a driver's licence would be acceptable as an identification but for other tourists passport would be a safe bet.

Lots of ambiguous/incorrect info here. I hope I can clarify a bit, though I can't say for sure if a passport card is okay when they say passport required.

If you take the train round trip (3.5 - 4 hour trip) then you only go into B.C. (not Yukon!) and never get off the train. For this, you do not need a passport. This is the ONLY trip you can take that does not require a passport, because you never set foot on Canadian land.

If you are taking ANY other trip, you need a passport. Some are train to B.C. then right back down by bus, and don't go into the Yukon. Others continue to the Yukon by bus. No matter what you do, if you enter Canada, you need a passport.

I do not know the restrictions for the passport card. I would check with the White Pass RR directly to be sure. They may have info on their web site regarding this.

You are about 2/3rds correct, however a US citizen does not require a passport to enter Canada. However everyone entering or re-entering the US, including a US citizen, does require to produce a passport, passport card, NEXUS card or a few other approved form of documents.

Archived