Hurtigruten Winter Excursions

NewtoCruising2011

I am interested to know whether the following excursions are fun and worth the expense. If you have taken more than one of them and can provide a relative ranking, that would be great. I'm planning a trip for March.

- Snow mobile trip in Lapland (Kjøllefjord - Mehamn) - North Bound

- Snow mobile safari (Kirkenes) - North Bound

- Snow mobile trip in the polar night (Mehamn - Kjøllefjord) - South Bound

- Dogsledding (Tromso) - North Bound

I am particularly interested to know how much time is spent on the actual activity as opposed to getting ready, being trained, listening to discussions, having hot drinks, and so on.

Thank you.

I am interested to know whether the following excursions are fun and worth the expense. If you have taken more than one of them and can provide a relative ranking, that would be great. I'm planning a trip for March.

- Snow mobile safari (Kirkenes) - North Bound

- Snow mobile trip in the polar night (Mehamn - Kjøllefjord) - South Bound

- Dogsledding (Tromso) - North Bound

I am particularly interested to know how much time is spent on the actual activity as opposed to getting ready, being trained, listening to discussions, having hot drinks, and so on.

Thank you.

Sorry I cant be of any help We are leaving for 6 day southbound voyge Wednesday to Kirkenes to Bergan Saturday July 30 to Friday August 5

If we where on the trip in March would love to go Snow mobiling and also see the Ice Hotel in Kirkenes

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

I was on Hurtigruten last Christmas, and while I didn't personaly do the excursions, I can give you some feedback based on discussions with my fellow travelers:

- Dogsledding in Tromso: you spend only about 30 minutes sledding. The rest of the time is for going there, visiting the kennels, waiting for other people to go on the sled, getting prepared for your turn, and so on. You are given a warm outfit to wear on top of your own clothes. It does its job of keeping you warm, but apparently it smells very strongly of wet dog, and they had to wash their clothes afterwards to get rid of the smell. Still, they rather enjoyed it since the location is very nice and has a nice view overlooking Tromso, so they weren't bored while they waited, and they seemed to think it was worth it.

You are on the snow mobile for quite a bit of the excursion (not sure exactly how much though), and the time is right for seeing Northern lights on the way (this was the main reason my co-traveler chose this excursion. He unfortunately didn't see the Northern lights that day, but he seemed to have had a great time).

Archived