Princess Excursion - Stockholm Ice Bar??

rnjoel

Hi everyone!

We'll be on the Star Princess, June 4, 2005 sailing. I'm trying to find a way to visit the Absolut Ice Bar during our port day in Stockholm.

I'm not able to find a Princess tour that stops there (not to mention I hate ship's tours), and the Ice Bar's website says it doesn't open until 4:30PM. The problem is that the ship sails at 5PM from Nynashamn, an hour's train ride away!

Any suggestions??

Happy Sailings!

Call the ice bar directly for reservations. They do open earlier on some days- However, I found that the cruise ship has booked all available slots they day we are at port. So, we cannot go unless be pay HAL prices for the city tour and ice bar stop. So, I guess I am skipping the ICE BAR. about $110 US pp to make the $20 Ice BAR cover charge stop.

I agree it might be best to just call the Ice Bar and find out the details to see if they can work with you. However, if Princess also books such a tour, then there could be a conflict. I too have checked out the Princess Tours, and I didn't see any mentioning of the ice bar, but maybe I missed it, or you don't find out which tour it's offered until there's more information once your actually on the ship. Hopefully, returning cruisers before you can help inform us of what the deal is. I wonder if the ice bar would allow you to create your own group. Maybe if the ice bar requires "X" amount of people to book a private party, you could use this message board to gather the number of interested people to join you. Also, I read in a message on this board posted last year where either someone did, or suggested, you just go on in with the Ship's tour. I guess for that, you have to find out what time they'll arrive. Personally, I don't think I'd feel too comfortable with that. Anyhow, like you, I am dissapointed that they don't open till 4:30 PM. I had heard about the ice bar from a friend in Cincinnati who thought it was the best part of her whole trip. Apparently she doesn't get out much. I look forward to what more you find out, and what others will hopefully reply to your posting. Please share what you or anyone else finds out.

Speaking as someone that has been to the real Ice Bar (located in the Ice Hotel in the far north of Sweden), I can only say if you miss the Ice Bar in Stockholm, well, you have not missed that much. In my opinion, I suggest you use your time and resources in the short time you have in this beautiful city to better advantage. In Gamla Stan (the Old Town) there is a place called the Ice Gallery, it's much less expensive, and you can drop in at your leisure. By the way, the "ice" used at the "Ice Gallery" as well as the ice at the "Ice Bar" comes from the same place, the Torne river, which runs through Jukkasjärvi (you-kass-yar-vee), in the north of Sweden.

The Ice Gallery is for the most part everything that the Ice Bar is excpet that the drinks you purchase in the freezer (let's face it folks, it is nothing but a walk-in freezer) are non-alcoholic. The gallery always features exhibitions of "Ice Art" and the experience is the same as the Ice bar without the crowds or the expense. If you need a bracer afterwards there are plenty of bars in the old town to warm you up.

Been a long winter here, I can't wait to get out of town next month... New Orleans and Western Carib here we come!!!

Al Frescoe,

Thank you for your reply and information about the Ice Bar, and referral to the Ice Gallery. I've noticed some of your postings to other questions to this Baltics message board, and you've always responded with helpful information. What are your recommendations for what we should see and do during our limited time in Stockholm? I realize you may have posted simular information to this request, but hoping you can share again, or direct me to where I can find your previously posted information without having to reread through hundreds of postings.

Personally, I'd like to explore Stockholm on my own rather than take a Ship's tour. Hoping you might offer insight and recommendations for getting around, and seeing all that can be accomplished in a day. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks for all the info, everyone! We may just see what happens when we get there..we're planning on doing Stockholm "on our own" anyway. If it's open, we'll go in! If not, we'll head to the Ice Gallery!

Happy Sailings!

• 3 weeks later...

Swdke wrote: >>>>>>What are your recommendations for what we should see and do during our limited time in Stockholm? I realize you may have posted simular information to this request, but hoping you can share again, or direct me to where I can find your previously posted information without having to reread through hundreds of postings.

Personally, I'd like to explore Stockholm on my own rather than take a Ship's tour. Hoping you might offer insight and recommendations for getting around, and seeing all that can be accomplished in a day. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.>>>>>

I'm not Al Frescoe but Greta and I have some suggestions of what to do in Stockholm.

Everybody goes to the Wasa Museum. It is a warship that was launched in 1528 or so during the 30 year war. The king who comissioned it was Gustav II Adolf. It sank on its maiden voyage!!! In the mid 50's it was discovered and recovered. They brought it up and made a museum for it. It is very intresting. Guided tours are included in the price and of course they are in English (as well as in many other languages).

Across the street from Wasa is the outdoor museum/zoo "Skansen". It's fun to walk around and see houses from different provinces in Sweden. There is also an are of old Stockholm homes and old trades people (much like Williamsburg). It takes a few hours to see so I would only do this if I had lots of time.

If I only had a limited time I would skip Wasa and Skansen and spend my day in Gamla Stan (the old town) with its courtyards, narrow streets, The Castle, and nice boutique shops. One of the unsung museums that I absolutely Love is the Royal Armory located underneath the castle. When you see the obelix outside the castle, facing the water, the armory is located on your left down the slope (or hill). There is a banner of some sort hanging over the door. The armory has an audio tour and included in the price of admission is the viewing of the crown jewels, and carriages.

My kids loved that museum when they were kids and I still do. I have not been in to the castle in many years, but I always go to the Royal armory.

If you are intrested in art you will find the Nationalmusum (National art museum) across the bridge from the castle. It has some "murals" by Carl Larsson in the entrance.

I also like City hall alot. Nice tour in English. Go up to the top in the tower and get a beautiful view of Stockholm.

Drottningsholms slott ( Drottningholm castle) is a wonderful destination outside of the city.It is called the Versailles of Sweden. Much more managable than Versailles, both in size and in crowds. You can take a nice old fashioned steam boat there, it leaves from outside of City hall. There are also buses that go there. It is the current home of the royal family. Next to Drottningholm is the China Castle which was a summer "cottage". Both these castles are included in the UN's world heritage sites. Worth a whole day to see both castles and take the boat there and back.

Note--go to the Stockholm site and find the opening hours. Swedish opening hours are very limited, so schedule well before you go there, so not to miss anything because you saved it for later (and it had closed). I find it harder to kamakazee sightsee in Stockholm than in Paris for ex., because of limited operation hours. http://www.stockholmtown.com/templates/Startpage___2023__EN.aspx

is the website for the city of Stockholm. Hit the pulldown tab for culture and then find out opening hours. I use this site constantly while planning for Stockholm.

I belive Stockholm is worth 3 days, more so than Copenhagen. It is wonderful to explore on your own. You could walk everywhere, but public transit works very well to save on your steps.

Greta, thanks for your posting. Wow, All that you've described sounds exactly what I'd like to do. Thank you so much! Could you provide an order of which to see and do first? Are these sites within walking distance, or will a taxi, bus, or train be required to get around? Again thanks, I appreciate your sharing.

Thanks Greta.My cruise is really coming together now with only 45 days left,I am sure we will have a great time.Would you Recomend the Pippi Longstocking museum.?I loved reading the books as a child,but I don't know if it would be worth draging my husband to.He has never heard of Pippi.

Ann

Greta, thanks for your posting. Wow, All that you've described sounds exactly what I'd like to do. Thank you so much! Could you provide an order of which to see and do first? Are these sites within walking distance, or will a taxi, bus, or train be required to get around? Again thanks, I appreciate your sharing.

Sorry I missed your original inquiry. Greta has some great ideas, but some of them, Drottningholm on the steamboat I would say are not doable in the normal time your ship is in port. She also mentioned that Skansen is also a time consuming excursion, and I agree. Skansen desrves more time, I can't imagine just walking through. The park is large and located on a hill, so be prepared for some serious walking, and there is a lot to see, so I would not reccomend it for first time visitors on a cruise schedule (come back and spend a few days in Stockholm in the future).

As far as getting around, well we think that Stockholm is a fantastic walking city, but, you must keep in mind that the city is located on 14 islands. So as the crow flies everything is close, but in reality you may have to walk some distance to find a bridge or a ferry. Buses are regular and outstanding and I would not be afraid to use that service, and of course taxis are all over the place. One thing I never see mentioned is the option of renting a bicycle. Maria and I regularly use bicycles and can cover a lot of ground. The city has a fine network of bike lanes so navigating through the busy traffic is simple for those of you that can ride a bike comfortably, and the streets are relatively flat. In fact the more I think about, for the able bodied active traveller bicyles would be ideal.

In summary, for the first time visitor on a cruise ship I guess I would have to reccomend the Vasa, and then wander around the old town, perhaps visit Storkyrkan (next door to the palace and is the oldest church in Stockholm) and the armoury museum under the palace.

Time will fly, so be prepared.

Have a great time

Skål

Thanks Greta.My cruise is really coming together now with only 45 days left,I am sure we will have a great time.Would you Recomend the Pippi Longstocking museum.?I loved reading the books as a child,but I don't know if it would be worth draging my husband to.He has never heard of Pippi.

Ann

No, I would not recommend the Pippi museum. It is called Junibacken and it is a museum for kids. I went there last year with my 20 year old son. We had the Stockholm 3 day pass so entrance was free. We were the only ones over 6! There is a little ride with audio in the language of your choice, and when you get out there is a woman (in character clothes) greeting you. When she saw my pony tailed 20 year old son and me, her smile froze on her face and she welcomed us to Villa Villekulla:D. I'm glad that I went, I "lived" Pippi as a child and for my americanized kids, but truly, don't bother. We stayed, oh perhaps 10 minutes, and the line was long of little kids who wanted to get in.

Steve,

Depending on your time in Stockholm, I'd do the following

1 day:

Go to Gamla Stan which is a 10 to 15 min nice walk from the Central Station. In the central station you can get a map. Also, just ask anyone, they'll be able to help.

According to my map, you exit the Central Station, make a right on Vasagatan, turn left and follow Vattugatan until Drottninggatan which is a BIG shopping street like Stroget in Copenhagen. Make a right on Drottninggatan and follow until you cross teh bridge Riksbron. You are now on a little island called Helgeandsholmen where the parliament building is on. Continue across another little bridge "Stallbron" and you are on the island of Old town--Gamla Stan. The castle is in front of you on the left. Go up the hill one way or another and go around the courtyard to the other side.

There is so much to see and do in Old town that I would stay there walking and looking at things. I would certainly go to the Armory which is called "Livrustkammaren" and the royal treasures "Skattkammaren", same entrance for both and also one entrance fee. I grew up with these kings and queens (or at least it felt that way in history class:eek:) so I really like to go there. If you don't have much time in town, just spend your time there, in Old Town.

If you like art, however keep in mind that Stockholm is not Florence:), it's a short distance across a different bridge ( Strömbron) back again to the art museum Nationalmuseum, which is located next to the Grand Hotel.

After that, keep going towards Strandvägen and Nybroplan and catch the bus to the Vasa museum if you don't want to be the only one not having seen the Vasa, so I guess you'd have to do that as well. It is a busride away. It's located on the island of Djurgarden. I am not positive, but I think it is bus no. 69.

If you have more time, which you won't, by now the ship has sailed away to Tallin :o go to City hall. You get there by going back towards the Centralstation and walk across Stadshusbron. I think there is a pedestrian and bike walkway there. I walked there last August. The tour of the city hall is nice, that's where they serve the Nobel dinner. The ride up the tower is nice as well.

I don't think you could do all this in one day, but you can try!

Drottningholm Slott is a separate day, save it for the next visit. Skip the ice bar and all that. Have a glass of beer on a courtyard square in Gamla stan. Eat some genuine food, or splurge and go to Grand Hotel for their Smörgåsbord lunch. I have never done that, but heard of it. I never feel that I wear nice enough clothes for such a fancy place in Sweden. Swedes dress up generally when they go out, so my practical slacks and flats I do not think are good enough, so I have something Al Frescoe in Gamla Stan.

Skip the ice bar and all that. Have a glass of beer on a courtyard square in Gamla stan. Eat some genuine food, or splurge and go to Grand Hotel for their Smörgåsbord lunch. I have never done that, but heard of it. I never feel that I wear nice enough clothes for such a fancy place in Sweden. Swedes dress up generally when they go out, so my practical slacks and flats I do not think are good enough, so I have something Al Frescoe in Gamla Stan.

Indeed, a frosty beverage or light lunch "al fresco" at one of the many outdoor cafés in the Old Town is a lovely way to spend some time.

Skål

Al

As far as getting around, well we think that Stockholm is a fantastic walking city, ....... and the streets are relatively flat. In fact the more I think about, for the able bodied active traveller bicyles would be ideal.

Skål

The bicycle idea sounds like a winner. I presume there are plenty of places to rent them? And they would provide locks to secure them? (Don't tell me that's not necessary in Sweden!!) Also, what do you think of spending a couple of hours on the hop-on-hop-off sightseeing bus to get one's bearings or is that just as useful as a means of getting around and getting off at a few places to see what you want? We're just there from 10- 5:30 on June 8th Constellation. Thanks Al and Gretta for all the "native" advice. Incidentally if anyone is interested, on another thread - Roll Call for Constellation Baltic cruise June 4th there is a large group (not us) getting together for the Ice Bar (which I know you have both knocked) and they are really psyched - doing it on their own. I'm sure a good time will be had by all regardless.

Incidentally if anyone is interested, on another thread - Roll Call for Constellation Baltic cruise June 4th there is a large group (not us) getting together for the Ice Bar (which I know you have both knocked) and they are really psyched - doing it on their own. I'm sure a good time will be had by all regardless.

I would really like to clarify this. I am not really knocking the Ice Bar, and I certainly do not knock anyone that decides to spend their time there. Just stating my opinion, period.

Enjoy the Ice Bar.

I presume there are plenty of places to rent them? And they would provide locks to secure them?

You do need a lock in Sweden. People, I'm afraid steal bikes there as well:mad:, but they are very good in English when they do steal them.:)

I would expect that the place that rents them also provide you with the lock. Often Swedish bikes have locks already mounted on the bike.

I rented a bike in Copenhagen last year, and it came with a lock.

Hello Greta!

Our ship will arrive in Stockholm at 10am and departs 5pm (have to be back on board by 4:30pm). Our group is planning a quick dash to the ice bar before going back to the ship (getting there at 3pm).

I have read up on all the ports and I know there is lots to see in Stockholm, especially the Gamla Stan area. I looked at your suggested itinerary and have a couple of questions.

1. Our ship is due to dock at Stadsgarden #167 Port. I understand there is a metro station about a 10 minute? walk from the port. Is there a metro stop at Gamla Stan or would we have to go to the central station and then do the walk as you mentioned?

2. One cruise friend says we can take the ferry from Skeppsbron pier to the Wasa museum. Do you think this would be faster than the bus?

My thinking is if there is a metro station right in Gamla Stan, we could go there first, visit the castle, walk around the old town area, visit the royal armory; then take the ferry or bus to the Wasa museum; then the ice bar. Do you think this would work for us? I would like to go to the top of the city tall tower. Love seeing views from above.

Thanks in advance!

Monica

Monica,

In researching what you suggested I found the following Web site:

http://www.boatsightseeing.se/

It seems to me a good deal, you don't have to leave the pier in order to find a bus or metro (Tunnelbana or "T"). It costs 100sek, app $13 and takes you right to the palace (2nd stop). You can walk around there for a bit and then go right to Vasa. However, if it was me doing this, I would get on the "sight seeing boat" go directly to Vasa, see it and then work my way back to Gamla Stan, because then you can take your time to leisurely wander the streets there. The armory is only for you if you enjoy kings, queens, crown jewels and history. If not, skip it. For me it is history come alive.

There are so many small restaurants and places for a nice cold beer in Gamla Stan where you can sit and watch people, so it's rather difficult to say how much time you want to spend there, and if it is raining, not much time at all outside.:(

I don't know where the Ice bar is, if it is on the route of the boat, so I don't know how to get there.

The boat also then doubles up as a sight seeing tour. Great views of the castle and the city and the harbors and the islands.

The stop "Nybroviken" is good for going to the shopping areas, and probably the closest to Central station. There is a "T" very close to there, in fact the VERY NICEST metro stop that you are likely to encounter in the whole world!!! (the only Swedish braggart in the world, swedes don't brag)

The stop is called "Kungsträdgården" and is the last stop. One stop away is T-centralen which is right next to the Stockholm C (Central station). That's where I would get off and then walk to city hall. By now you should have a good map of Stockholm. If not, buy one in the information booth at the central station. There are free maps everywhere though, should not be a problem.

I don't think that you will have time to see Vasa, the castle and Old town and the city hall and the ice bar. I think you will have to skip the city hall. It's a little out of the way. It's going to be stressful enough just to make it to Vasa and then to the Old town (for lunch and sight seeing) and then to the Ice bar. Squeezing City hall in would make it unpleasant, since you have a ship to catch before it sails off. Hope for good weather, and best of luck to you and your group.

Hi Greta,

Thanks for your comments. I do know the Ice Bar is north of the Old Town (see this link http://home.mchsi.com/~jbglenn33/sto.html for location of the icebar – upper left corner). I believe the Central Station is the closest to the ice bar. I’ll have to read and see what I would prefer to see: Vasa museum or City hall for the views. Of course if it’s rainy, visiting the Vasa museum would be a better choice, plus it's an important museum. I do want plenty of time to explore the old town wandering the small streets.

I just looked at the web site you provided and it seems the sightseeing boat is for June 27th – 29 August. We’ll be in town on the 11th of May.

Thanks again!

Monica ;)

PS: One of my fellow cruisemates wrote: I looked into puiblic transportation opportunities in Stockholm to retrieve us from the Ice Bar and get us to the ship before it sails without us. Looks like the underground is the best bet. There is a station across the street (T-Centralen) from the Ice Bar, which will take us to within a couple of blocks of the ship (Slussen). Train ride itself is a whole 3 minutes. There is a bus that will go the last leg, but onsite advise is telling me it's probably faster to walk.

Sounds good. Yes, the underground "T" from the central station to Slussen is just a few minutes. Then a nice walk back to the ship.

I guess I forgot that you were going in May. Check for opening hours of sights though. They are short in Sweden.

The site is stockholmtown.com. The pull down tab is culture. They should have all the fees and opening hours there.

Have a great time.

• 6 months later...

Archived