First time NCL, previous HAL Cruiser

winste

Been away from cruising for about 9 yrs. Sailed HAL three times, the last with a full size suite. Got a great deal in the travel downturn after 9/11. Want to take one more cruise before changing careers which will prohibit vacation time/money.

Anyway, considering NCL, specifically the Dawn or Star. Interested in the W Carr. itineraries for fall 2012.

We liked HAL and am considering them as well. They are just a little too traditional.

Like the idea of Freestyle cruising. Like a more active crowd/excursion. We are early 40's and do enjoy larger rooms.

Two questions. Like the large balcony penthouse. How indy are the forward cabins? Like to spend time on the balcony and the large size looks nice but really concerned about the wind. Sizewise, how much smaller are the aft cabins in the same category?

Second, from a "class" standpoint, is NCL comparable to HAL? Liked the condition of the HAL ships and would prefer to be on a comparable line.

Thank you.

Wind: The forward balconies will get the full effect of the wind that is created by the ships movement....say 25 mph wind while at sea. However, the forward balconies do have a solid steel "wall" at the front and it is angled toward the stern, and this acts as a deflector. If you are seated close to the "wall", you won't feel much wind....when you stand up, you will. Also, if you open the door to the balcony and then open the door to the hallway, you will get a wind storm in your cabin. Not a problem, but something to think about.

The condition of the NCL ships and the HAL ship that I have sailed on were pretty much equal. I think that the crew members on NCL are a bit more friendly. In my opinion, the food on HAL in the main dinning room was much better than what we had on NCL and I enjoyed getting a little dressed up and not being surrounded by men wearing baseball caps backwards, etc as we saw on NCL. The HAL passenger mix was much more on the "old" side than NCL in our experience. There was more late night activity on NCL than HAL.

Since bikerintn covered forward suites, I'll mention that aft suites, on the Dawn/Star, have larger balconies on Deck 10 (approx 123 sq ft) compared to 8 & 9. If you're looking at SE (forward) vs. SF (aft) the interior sq ft difference is about 75 sq ft in favor of the SE's.

Happy planning!

HAL ships are so UGLY...the NCL hull art is so COOL:cool:!!

all i know about HAL is frens who have sailed and said the SHIP is TO OLD(age-wise) for them--coming from frens in their 40s and 50s and my MIL in her 70s!

Archived