Other kids with diapers in the pool, what to do?

lisa928

When we called Princess, we requested cribs for the rooms, we asked about high chairs in the dining room, we gave them the ages of the kids on our trip (14 months and 22 months) and then specifically asked, "We've never traveled with toddlers before. Is there anything else we should know?" Seems like that would have been the perfect opportunity to mention the pool issue.

I don't think sales & marketing people are trained to communicate "do not buy" messages to customers/potential customers. It wouldn't make sense from a business perspective.

However, I agree that it would be reasonable to assume that kids in swim diapers would be allowed in a pool. If people don't spend time on cruise message boards asking lots of questions, or read the "Traveling with Children" information on the cruise line website, they might not know about the rule. And while one might think to ask how old a child has to be to go to a kid's club, it might not ever cross one's mind to ask about the pool.

My son cruised at 1 year old and at 3 years old, so we brought our own pool the first time and he got to use the pool the second time. He was happy with both. He was so little the first time, that it really didn't matter to him that he couldn't go in the big pool. Splashing in an inch of water was just fine. The kids are going to have fun as long as you allow them to :-)

milton333:

I'm not surprised you got a slew of answers. It's very frustrating for parents, no doubt about it. But there are limitations to what cruise ships can provide, based on size and logistics alone.

I have to say that number 4 is one I've heard and believe to be true. Here's why. They are certainly treated based on volume, but the volume itself is the issue. Imagine a bathtub and then imagine a lake. A single poop in the lake is going to disperse and be diluted to X parts per million; a single poop in the tub is going to be many, many more parts per million. No chemical level that humans could safely tolerate is going to immediately kill all pathogens. The more pathogens are diluted, the easier it will be to zap and kill them.

There's no doubt in my mind that there is some level of fecal contamination in all ship pools--and not because of swim diapers. That's one reason we never go in them.

beachchick

Milton - I totally agree with your post. The cruise lines are causing the confusion. Yes, John Heald (Carnival CD) may be posting today about how the waterworks are for potty trained tots but just a couple of years ago he posted on his blog that the new Evolutions of Fun were for kids in diapers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20217662&postcount=19

It seems to me to be a pretty simple concept. If RCI and Disney can figure out a way to put a Baby Splash Zone on the new ships - then why not Carnival?

Archived