Boston to New York--MTA station with overnight parking?

yoyocruiser

Headed from Boston to New York. Would like to drive part way as it appears parking is expensive in NY. Am considering taking commuter rail from Connecticut down to New York--this is the New Haven Line. I know it runs on weekends and I have found the schedule. However, I am unclear about overnight parking at these stations. Can you park overnight and would you just pay the daily fee (which looks to be between 3 and 5 dollars). Since I would be leaving on a week-end day (Saturday) I could probably find parking at these lots which I know are generally crowded on a week day. Just wondering if anyone would happen to know??

I poked around their website and google and found no helpful info...

Hopefully someone local will know, but i would try emailing the mta

http://www.mta.info/faqs.htm

and ask.....here in NJ some of the parking lots at stations are not operated by NJ Transit but by outside vendors....so maybe you could contact them....perhaps they'd allow you to pay ahead, or get you some sort of pass....

good luck!!!

Sorry you're not getting many responses. Where are you coming from in the Boston area? I know you can park in a garage in Stamford - I'm seeing $10/day but perhaps that has gone up. Enttours also runs a cruise bus from Braintree for $100/pp.

Here is the info I found for Stamford which is a major train stop which will give you a lot of options for trains into NYC and it is not too far outside NY. Good chance they would allow long term parking.

http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/content/25/52/138/164/1316/94940.aspx

The issue is a lot of the other towns along the commuter line have limited parking and only available to residents.

There is parking at New Haven but long term is not a the station, it is a walk to the station (1/2 mile) weekdays there is a shuttle bus. I believe parking at New Haven station is expensive I think.

You can call the New Haven Parking Authority at:

Station Parking The Parking Operator is New Haven Parking Authority. Please call this number - 203-946-8936, for further information.

I don't know about Stamford but good choice for the train even off peak there are three trains an hour 2 locals and and express (except Sunday one less local) the Express leaves Stamford stops at 125th Street Harlem and then Grand Central Terminal.

Note there is talk of raising Metro North CT fares soon, only $14 off peak from New Haven now but keep an eye on it.

Archived