Gem Or Jewel

Mrdell

Our Family is planning a cruise next April to the Bahamas from NY. After reviewing all information on the NCL web site we have narrowed our decession down to either the Gem or the Jewel. Is one ship any better than the other with regard to wear and tear, condition, etc. in your opinion? We will have three rooms; traveling with children and grandchildren ages 10, 8, 5, and 1. Thank you for any information you can provide.

We loved the Jewel and the staff and had zero complaints about the food wherever we ate.

But the Jewel doesn't have either the bowling alley or rock climbing wall. If those things are of interest to you, book the Gem.

The Jewel is themed with Nickelodeon, so that may interest the younger kids.

I don't think you will go wrong with either ship.

Have fun!

We were on the Jewel last May to Bahamas/Florida/GSC. Heading out on the Gem this September. We are really looking forward to the Gem and it does look a little more brushed up then the Jewel, but we had a great time on the Jewel too. If you go by mere stats, check out ship descriptions and comparisons. I also think the Gem might be a year or two newer and from the deck plans looks like they took the Jewel and just improved on a little here and there.

the jewel is very family oriented. the service was top notch (we has a 2 bedroom family suite on the 14th deck) and the private deck was great. the jewel is slightly older than the gem so if you like newer ships with more amenities then maybe the gem is for you. i did enjoy my trip on the jewel and would return on a future date

We just came back from sailing the Jewel. Everything was great. Didn't have any complaints. My son (6) loved the Kids Club and daughter (18 months) had fun in the toddler pool and just running around an empty lounge during the day. The kids loved the Nick characters also.

Besides the Nickelodeon for the kids, I liked the buffet station better on the Jewel, more set up as individual stations than at the Gem. Less opportunity for people cutting in on the food lines. However, I liked Bermuda as a better family type destination (the people are more polite, and the facilties are more clean) than the Bahamas. I could do without GSC-especially the fact that you have to be tendered to the island.

Well, I can tell you my thoughts.

We're booked on Gem to Bermuda in Sept, and on Jewel to Bahamas/FL next March.

Main thought is... since only Gem does Bermuda, they take that ship and alternate Jewel to FL.

We have done transatlantics in both ships. Everything else being almost equal, we do prefer the Jewel. She has the better buffet layout with individual food stations. So there is never a line. Btw, both ships have a kiddie area in the buffet with kindergarten type furniture and a separate food station featuring kid foods, such as fries, etc.

Archived