Brilliance - Panama Canal

Hi - This will be my first time travelling the canal (partial transit) and had a few questions.

From what I make of it we will go through the canal very early, prople will render off in Gatun Lake and then we will go back through the canal and dock at the pier.

Will we be able to get off the ship at the pier or is that only for passengers to reboard?

Where should I go to view the canal? Front of the ship? Back? From my balcony? This is a 90th birthday gift from me to my grandmother (she has always wanted to see the canal) and I want to be sure she gets to see it!!

Also - if we can get off and shop at the pier is it accessable by wheelchair? She can't walk long distances without one.

Thanks for any information you an provide!!

The timing is usually around 6:00 a.m. depending on traffic. We had traffic so people that got to the front or back of the ship real early where tired of standing by the time we were going through the locks. We started up front and as we started through the locks walked around to the side and actually had a better view of the actual mechanics. The captain narrates through the whole process and does a fantastic job.

We chose to stay on the ship and not do a tour it was nice. At the pier there is a flea market (in a building). I would think there is wheelchair access as this is a large building with tables set up that they sell their wares from.

Have a wonderful time, the ship is beautiful.

6 ish or so....if you plan to stay on the ship and not tender off (we don't since we come for the canal! and if you tender off....you only go thru it once)...

if you have balcony....I suggest you stay there in the morning...get room service...that way not a lot of walking....and yes the commentary is great.....remember to turn up the speaker as such....and turn your tv on to see what the camera shows....

then at some point either after the first lock (there are 3)....walk up top in front of the Spa.....great vantage point.

Above all.....make sure you visit I think it is deck 5.....and walk along the outside promenade...you can see just how close you are to the side...and see the "mules" up close and personal! We almost missed this the first time we went thru and wished we had spent more time there.

Lou

I think you will love the aft....going in if go up front on deck 12??? in front of the spa and watch the ship enter the lock.....then hurry to the aft and watch those big doors close behind you and water fill the lock......then whatever!

And, be sure to do the deck 5 thing...watch how close you are!

Lou

Brmo,

The aft is a great place to watch. Order room service for breakfast, then sit back, and watch the view. We stayed on the ship, and then went up front going back out. Both views were awesome!! I did jump down to deck 5 on our way out, and as Lou said, it was worth it. This was our first aft, and I loved it.

Nancy

Unless you have a cabin on the hump, you will find the views of the canal restricted. This is because of the lifeboats. They protrude out and therefore you cannot look directly down to see what is going on beside the ship. Furthermore you will not be able to see down the length of the ship because of the hump. This was the only major disappointment of our cruise last month.

We went down to the front of the ship on deck 5 around 7:30 am. Even with the large crowds we found no problem at all getting great vantage points of the canal to take pictures as we transited.

You can get off the ship at the Cristobal Pier in Panama. The flea market was kind of neat. We did manage to find some inexpensive souveniers.

If you are looking to buy a Panama Hat do not buy it on the ship. I paid $30.00 at the sale on the Brilliance of exclusive Panama crafts and souveniers. When I got off the ship I found the same Panama hats for $10.00. When I confronted the ship staff they said this was impossible even after I showed them the identical hats. They wouldnt price match as I didnt have any reciepts. Not a huge problem for me but beware anything they sell on the ship you will most likely find the same or similar on the pier for less.

Have a great cruise:D

Reneed68

Which Panama Trip Will You Be On? We'll Be On The Brilliance On April 17, 2006. Will You Be With Us? If This Is Your Sailing, We Have A Roll Call Started On The Rci Roll Call Site- Check It Out. If Not, Happy Sailing!! And Let Us Know Which Tours You Do. Ellen.

We did this cruise a year ago. I would agree with what everyone has said, however I would add the following viewing area. To get a very unusual perspective, after you have viewed the canel from the top, go to the muster station level and go outside. You now are at the same level as the canal itself. Workers are just few feet from you and you can almost touch the walls (wouldn't recommend that though, lololo). I just happen to walk out on this level and since I had lost my bearings as to how low I was in the ship, was quite surprised when I walked out. Anyway, something to think about. Have fun! Wish I was going again.

Mark

Archived