Bernard or Taxi?

cruznbelle

Such a delimena.... DH is commercial pilot (32 yrs) and was ho hum about any excursion in St. Maarten, preferring to his usual 1st choice of walk around, find a cool spot, have a nice lunch and something to drink. He perked right up when I told him I decided we were going to Maho to watch the planes :p

While I have absolutely no problem sitting in a bar by the beach, having a long lunch, watching the planes land, I was thinking I would like to see St. Martin and a bit of the island since we did his preferred choice in 2003.. :rolleyes: so I was all set for taking Bernard's tour. The part that bothers me is that Bernard's Tour the Maho time is only 40 mins and the Orient beach time is 1.5-2hrs. Neither one of us care about being ON the beach for 1.5-2hrs - we would only find a lunch spot in the shade anyway. We do care about watching the planes. Should I go with Bernard or just taxi to Sunset Bar and Grill from 11:30am-2pm? The ideal for us would be 9-11:30ish tour w/ brief stops with a long lunch at Maho but a private tour seems a bit overkill for what I was thinking. We'll be on St. Maarten on a Thursday in late Sept (Allure) if that factors in at all.

I really would appreciate any thoughts...

Thanks in advance

I'd suggest taking a taxi from the Cruise Facility to Mullet Bay Beach to spend a couple hours, maybe share a plate of ribs from Rosie's, then walk over to Maho for lunch and plane watching before catching a return taxi.

th_DSCN6169.jpg

(click)

You mention 2:00, but definitely be out of there by 2:30/2:45 at the latest because of traffic.

gary

p.s. For your pilot, Mullet then Maho.

p.p.s. There's also Guys Driftwood Boat Bar on Maho, with cheaper drinks.

Thanks Gary - I'm thinking taxi as well... I just have to make sure we leave by 2:15 or so... never considered Mullet Bay Beach... good idea... strange - DH is a BIG BBQ/Rib fan (not me)... do you know each other?? :rolleyes: I do try to be careful and strike a good balance between sightseeing and simply relaxing with each other's company.

Thanks again for the suggestion! Ribs - go figure...

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

e-mail Bernard-we only spent an hour at Orient and longer at Maho- He pretty muich adjusts to what the group wants. Problem is if you in with a larger group-majority rules. There were only 4 of us though so we just agreed.

We have toured with Bernard 4X! I am not comfortable taking a taxi when I travel alone with my daughter. Well 12 cruises later and she is now 18, we do not do anything on St Martin but Bernard. We book a private tour and go where we want, see what we want to see and every single time have learned so much about this gorgeous Island. We have now met Bernard's staff along the way and they go above and beyond. This past April my daughter and I cruised with 2 newbies, they have still not stopped talking about their day in St Martin.

I say book a private tour with Bernard and do as you please. Less stress, great info, safe driving and no worries getting back to the ship on time. Also unlimited drinks of any kind, soda, water, beer and rum punch. Best money ever spent on any Island tour we have taken.

Enjoy this beautiful Island! One of our favorites! Your on vacation so relax and enjoy!

Thanks everybody!.. I will email Bernards because we are listed as confirmed for his tour but since it's a group, I'm fairly certain this will not work. Private - normally I'd be all over a private tour - but aside from 2 - 2.5 hrs from 9-11ish... the rest of the time we'd be sitting watching planes... but who knows... if the price is reasonable - private would be perfect.

Either way we'll have an awesome time. Willbcrusin - our first visit to this beautiful island we actually stepped in a jewelry store (more to get cool than shop), was given wine and beer while we looked around (read empty stomachs) and ended up spending more $$ than we had brains... right at the end of the transaction the Island lost power (omen perhaps?). Had lunch at a beach bar down the road which was limited and drinks could only be 'straight' because all mixers were on the gun (yikes). The jewelry is still my absolute favorite, the beach bar w/ so-so food and drinks great and something we will always remember!

So my only rules for this trip - no jewelry stores! :eek:

• 3 months later...
I'd suggest taking a taxi from the Cruise Facility to Mullet Bay Beach to spend a couple hours, maybe share a plate of ribs from Rosie's, then walk over to Maho for lunch and plane watching before catching a return taxi.

th_DSCN6169.jpg

(click)

You mention 2:00, but definitely be out of there by 2:30/2:45 at the latest because of traffic.

gary

p.s. For your pilot, Mullet then Maho.

p.p.s. There's also Guys Driftwood Boat Bar on Maho, with cheaper drinks.

WE WIIL BE THERE!!! Wooohooo!

Archived