Stingray City - honest opinion

karajeboo

Am I gonna freak slam out when one of those big ole stingrays comes up and rubs against me???? I know they are super tame but what keeps all these tourists from becoming more STeve Irwins? Are these different types of stingrays? I know I'm just being crazy, but really?

Also, who has the best private snorkel/SC excursion for 3 adults, 2 children (ages 9, 11)?

Thanx!

Yep, the first time they come at you, you freak a little. Reminds me of jumping over the neighbors fence when I was a kid and having their dogs charge me, you think they are going to take an arm off, but all they wanted was petted.

I have done String Ray City a few times, once from a cruise excursion, and the rest when staying on island. One good thing about going out when the cruise ships are in is that the rays are less aggressive since there are a lot of people feeding them. We went out one time and there were just a couple small boats, and the rays really homed in on us. No problems, just got a little overwhelming.

There are different kinds of Sting Rays, but I don't know if the one that killed Steve was different or not. The big thing is to not step on one, or rub them the wrong way. The tour guides will give you all the info you need.

IMHO it is a not to be missed experience in Grand Cayman.

Captin Marvins always gets good reviews. He has a web site. I have also used Red Sail out of Rum Point.

Yes you will. But only the first few times they touch you . I've been there four or five times and I still get a little giggly when they start coming at me, or hit me from behind. Good thing is that they are soft and friendly, so while they are intimidating to look at, you'll get used to them very quickly.

Ah...my favourite question. I've answered so many times, I actually have the answer saved as a word document... :D

Dangerous Stingrays?

Stingrays are generally non-aggressive. When threatened, their first reaction is to swim away. This is easy for them to do at Stingray City, since it's just a section of open ocean and the stingrays aren't penned up in any way. They don't just attack you and sting you (although they can be fairly enthusiastic and/or boisterous in their quest for squid chunks). They may sting you by reflex/accident if you step on one. That's why you are not permitted to wear water shoes at Stingray City, and why you are told to shuffle your feet rather than lift them, so that you will not accidententally step on one.

There are many, many types of rays. Steve Irwin was stung by a bull ray, a totally different type than the southern rays at Stingray City. It is also suggested that what killed him wasn't the sting itself, but the fact that he was stung in the chest and then pulled out the barb. There is also the issue that the bull ray was a wild ray and unused to people, while the Stingray City southern rays have spent years and years learning that people are not the enemy, they're a ready source of squid snacks. :D

For most stings, which are extremely rare, Wikipedia says that the remedy is usually hot water to dilute the venom plus antibiotics. I don't personally know anyone who has ever been stung, so I just have to trust my research on that part of the issue.

From my experience at Stingray City, which is fairly extensive, the usual "injuries" from stingrays involve "hickeys" from the suction of their mouths during a search for squid (say when your DH has stuffed a chunk of squid down your bathing suit for fun) or accidental scrapes from their tails when they swim by you too fast looking for squid and the tail kind of whips against you. These injuries are very minor, though, and are far from life-threatening.

You'll notice the common element here is squid. Stingrays at Stingray City are only interested in one thing...the snacks that they know you've brought with you. No squid = no stingray attention at all. They're worse than cats that way. If you aren't giving them treats, they've got very little interest in you. They may swim by, just to double-check for squid, but as soon as they realize you haven't got any, they'll swim away again fairly quickly. If you are at all nervous about them, stay away from the squid and the stingrays will stay away from you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingrays

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin#Death

I've been to Stingray City dozens of times, and never had a problem with the stingrays. (With my DH, sure, but never the rays. ;)) It's very safe as long as you behave with respect and common sense.

Glad you asked this question. I know it's a "must do" at Grand Cayman, but I'm so not a fan of having any time of fish touch me. Heck, I don't even like putting my hand down in our aquarium at home!!

Ah...my favourite question. I've answered so many times, I actually have the answer saved as a word document... :D

Dangerous Stingrays?

Stingrays are generally non-aggressive. When threatened, their first reaction is to swim away. This is easy for them to do at Stingray City, since it's just a section of open ocean and the stingrays aren't penned up in any way. They don't just attack you and sting you (although they can be fairly enthusiastic and/or boisterous in their quest for squid chunks). They may sting you by reflex/accident if you step on one. That's why you are not permitted to wear water shoes at Stingray City, and why you are told to shuffle your feet rather than lift them, so that you will not accidententally step on one.

There are many, many types of rays. Steve Irwin was stung by a bull ray, a totally different type than the southern rays at StingrayCity. It is also suggested that what killed him wasn't the sting itself, but the fact that he was stung in the chest and then pulled out the barb. There is also the issue that the bull ray was a wild ray and unused to people, while the Stingray City southern rays have spent years and years learning that people are not the enemy, they're a ready source of squid snacks. :D

For most stings, which are extremely rare, Wikipedia says that the remedy is usually hot water to dilute the venom plus antibiotics. I don't personally know anyone who has ever been stung, so I just have to trust my research on that part of the issue.

From my experience at Stingray City, which is fairly extensive, the usual "injuries" from stingrays involve "hickeys" from the suction of their mouths during a search for squid (say when your DH has stuffed a chunk of squid down your bathing suit for fun) or accidental scrapes from their tails when they swim by you too fast looking for squid and the tail kind of whips against you. These injuries are very minor, though, and are far from life-threatening.

You'll notice the common element here is squid. Stingrays at StingrayCity are only interested in one thing...the snacks that they know you've brought with you. No squid = no stingray attention at all. They're worse than cats that way. If you aren't giving them treats, they've got very little interest in you. They may swim by, just to double-check for squid, but as soon as they realize you haven't got any, they'll swim away again fairly quickly. If you are at all nervous about them, stay away from the squid and the stingrays will stay away from you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingrays

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin#Death

I've been to StingrayCity dozens of times, and never had a problem with the stingrays. (With my DH, sure, but never the rays. ;)) It's very safe as long as you behave with respect and common sense.

Oh my this is so funny!!!! I can totally see my husband doing this!!!! What a great answer to my question - thank you so much!

Dont miss the stingrays!! It was awesome, we have done it twice (both through Capt Marvins) and are going back again in Nov and also bringing our adults sons as well this time. The stingrays always seem to be hungry, and they will come right up to you and raise out of the water even a little looking to see if you have any food for them, they also like to swim between your legs, but they are harmless and tame and seem just as curious about the people as we are about them.

Dont miss the stingrays!! It was awesome, we have done it twice (both through Capt Marvins) and are going back again in Nov and also bringing our adults sons as well this time. The stingrays always seem to be hungry, and they will come right up to you and raise out of the water even a little looking to see if you have any food for them, they also like to swim between your legs, but they are harmless and tame and seem just as curious about the people as we are about them.

While I agree with Kelly11 about 99.99%, I wouldn't quite describe the rays as "harmless and tame". They _are_ accustomed to and comfortable with human company and are almost universally non-aggressive, save for the "got squid" aspect and curiosity. They are beautiful to watch and luxurious to touch (think: wet velvet). They still live in the open ocean and are not domesticated, however. Please enjoy the hell out of your encounter with the rays--I'd go back in a New York second if I had the chance--but exercise a modicum of respect and suitable level of care as illustrated in bookbabe's treatise above--this will help ensure you have a fantastic experience!

Oh, and kiss one for me when you get there!:)

Archived