Lunch In Victoria

Great lunch can be had in the Bengal Lounge in the Empress, or Milestones which is kind of kitty corner to the Empress on the Inner Harbour or if you want walk back to Barb's Fish n' Chips at Fisherman's wharf.....or perhaps one of the pubs like the Sticky Wicket at the Strathcona hotel.

All day trip to Victoria from Vancouver. Where is a good place for lunch near the Empress Hotel area. We will getting the tour bus after lunch for Buchart Gardens.

Here are a couple of choices, popular with the locals...

Pagliacci's on Broad Street http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pagliacci%27s,+Broad+Street,+Victoria,+British+Columbia,+Canada&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.777825,114.169922&z=16 Best bowl of soup and bread you've ever had. it's crowded, but that sort of works for lunch.

Another great choice, especially if you like asian; The Noodle Box http://maps.google.com/maps?q=the+noodle+box+818+douglas+street,+victoria+bc&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.777825,114.169922&z=16

Also, if you're willing to take just local buses instead of tour buses (especially on the Vancouver->Victoria) portion, you can save yourself well over $100. the ferry, downtown Victoria, & Butchart Gardens are all on bus lines.

What kind of food do you like?

The Bengal Lounge in the Empress Hotel definitely has a great ambiance (colonial British Empire with cushy chairs) and the curry buffet is yummy, but pricey around $25.

If you like mussels, I highly recommend Santiago's (at Belleville & Oswego - just on the other side of the Parliament buildings.) It's Chilean food and the mussels are amazing.

Healthier, vegetarian fare: Rebar in Bastian Square (Langley Street.)

Milestone's (just below the Victoria Tourist Info Centre) is always reliable. They're known for their Bellinis.

Lighter lunch with great tea: Murchie's on Government.

Victoria has some great pubs. Bard & Baker and Irish Times are owned by the same person. They are both on Government.

Last (but definitely not least): Red Fish Blue Fish on the docks below Broughton Street. http://www.redfish-bluefish.com/menu.html They were featured on Food Network's Eat Street.

I live here in Victoria so I'll chime in here! :)

Pagliaccis is fabulous. Really great place for lunch or dinner.

Rics Grill is also nice, but a little fancier. (It's on Government Street)

If you are looking for something a little more relaxed (like lunch on the dock) I would recommend Red Fish Blue Fish which has the most amazing fish & chips and fish tacos.

(I actually just saw someone posted the link up above! :) ) It has really good food. It's a short walk from the empress right on the dock. They actually cook out of a shipping container.

Oh and yes...Irish Times is also a favorite! It's also on Government Street.

I like the noodle box as well if you prefer that sort of food.

Have a great time! When are you coming? The weather is nice now. We haven't had that great of a summer though!

• 3 weeks later...
We had lunch one time in the Parliament Building. One of the tour guides on the dock suggested it. Kinda fun to take the tour and then eat there too.

It is very reasonable.

As a third generation Victoria resident if you want a "little bit of olde England" without the high price of the Empress try the James Bay Tea Room at the corner of Menzies and Superior Sts. If you are walking from the port to downtown you can take a route that goes right past it, look for the gorgeous hanging baskets and stripped awning across from the rear of the Parliament Buildings.

When are you going to be in Victoria? The reason that I ask there is what is known as a "spot prawn" fishery that occurs in May and into June and spot prawns are about as good as you are going to get anywhere on this planet.

When are you going to be in Victoria? The reason that I ask there is what is known as a "spot prawn" fishery that occurs in May and into June and spot prawns are about as good as you are going to get anywhere on this planet.

We'll be there Sept 11th. So, I guess that's bad timing

We are taking MIL and FIL on wine cruise this fall. Someone at their Retirement community who used to live there said," You'll eat the best shrimp in Victoria". Any hints where we can find some great shrimp for lunch?

Thanks!!

Red Fish Blue Fish, a food stand down in the inner harbour.

http://www.redfish-bluefish.com/

We will be there in May! Where can we find these prawns? (Sorry I posted too fast. I got over excited when I saw the prawns, LOL! I see Red Fish Blue Fish for prawns. I already have it bookmarked. :))

The challenge with the Pacific Spot Prawn is that it is a very short fishery that last 4 to 6 weeks in May and June. It would not be an item that you will find on a standard menu but on a "fresh sheet" or as a special. I certainly wouldn't direct you to somewhere that may batter and deep fry them, that type of place probably won't have them in any case. My suspects for having the prawns in season would be Chandler's or Pecatores both of which are in the downtown area...but it is one of those menu items that won't appear until it does. I will tell you that they are great, I will eat them raw while I am peeling them....they are like eating candy....the only problem with them is that they are loaded with cholesterol so don't be seeing your cardiologist after eating them.;)

http://www.pescatores.com/

http://www.chandlersseafood.com/

Menus at this time of year won't be an indicator of whether the restaurant serves fresh spot prawns or not. As PD said above, many Victoria restaurants have a 'fresh sheet' with items that won't appear on the regular menu, and that menu could change seasonally in any case. I've not been to the restaurant you mention but an alternative (for May) might be Sips Artisan Bistro. This restaurant is within walking distance of the cruise terminal (20 minutes?).

Archived