Venice Naval History museum

Hoyaheel

My husband just told me he is interested in the Venice Naval History museum. I searched here and didn't come up with any hits. Has anyone visited? It's cheap but not exactly close to anything else:rolleyes: Though we will have 3 days in Venice so I suppose if he wants to do it, we'll have time:p

http://goeurope.about.com/cs/venice/l/aa021703a.htm

My husband just told me he is interested in the Venice Naval History museum. I searched here and didn't come up with any hits. Has anyone visited? It's cheap but not exactly close to anything else:rolleyes: Though we will have 3 days in Venice so I suppose if he wants to do it, we'll have time:p

http://goeurope.about.com/cs/venice/l/aa021703a.htm

I searched on the Italian name, "Arsenale," and found one link that should help you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=837189

There were a considerable number of other threads with that word in it, but those appear to be threads about getting to hotels near the Arsenale vaporetto stop not about the museum itself (Museo Storico Navale). In general, you can't walk through much of the old shipworks. The exception to this is in a biennale year (see below). You can cruise around the property on Vaporetto routes 41 and 42.

I know I've visited the museum about a dozen years ago, but I have no strong recollection about it.

When will you be visiting Venice? I ask because every other year, Arsenale itself -- not the museum -- turns into a totally happening place if you like contemporary art, dance, movies, and music. The Venice Biennale is held from June through early November in odd numbered years, which means it is going on right now! Countries from all over the world are assigned some or all of an Arsenale building. Each country mounts an exhibit of its most renowned artists and schedules dance and music performances and movie showings. If you're intrigued, but a little hesitant about understanding contemporary art, free tours in English are given daily for much of the exhibit. Just check this out with a Google search.

The closest I've come to seeing the biennale is leaving Venice the day the exhibit opened two years ago. The biennale is on my bucket list.

Biennale NOT my thing at all:p But good to know so I can make attempts to avoid the crowds.....

We'll be in Venice Sept 16-19, 2011

It was my understanding (from the link I posted) that we cannot visit the Arsenale itself - just the attached museum & warehouses.....

We visited this museum during our last trip to Venice. It was an easy walk from St Marks. We tried to go to the Arsenal also but it is not open to the public. The naval museum was very interesting with tons of weaponry from the roman age to modern day, ship models, a collection of old gondolas including one owned by Peggy Guggenhiem,photos and maps etc,etc. No crowds,cheap admission, and a nice change from art museums and only takes a couple of hours to see, less if you are with your wife.

Biennale NOT my thing at all:p But good to know so I can make attempts to avoid the crowds.....

We'll be in Venice Sept 16-19, 2011

It was my understanding (from the link I posted) that we cannot visit the Arsenale itself - just the attached museum & warehouses.....

There's a bridge at the gate into Arsenale that is always accessible to the public. Visitors standing on the bridge can see into the complex.

Obviously, with the Biennale taking place the Arsenale will be open, but I strongly doubt, there will be any way to enter the grounds for free just to see the layout. It would be interesting to see the scope of the ship-building operation required by Venice at the height of its maritime power.

Incidentally, once we're talking about Venetian ships, folks might want to visit one of the last surviving gondola shipyards in Venice proper. It's in the Dorsoduro on the San Trovaso canal. You can't go inside the shipyard, but most of the activity takes place outside close to water's edge. Just stand across from the workshop on the other side of the canal and watch. We saw gondolas being refurbished.

We were in Venice on a land based holiday in May some years ago when by chance there was some sort of special event on at the Arsenale and you could go round the dockyards on a guided tour as well as going in the Museum. It was fascinating. The Museum is worth a visit on its own though. As far as I can remember, we just took a vaporetto from San Marco. It's not far to walk from the vaporetto stop, if you're coming into Venice on a cruise ship you can see the gateway to the Arsenale on the starboard side.

We didn't go to the museum, but accidentally ended up there when "exploring." very easy walk from San Marcos. I would say it is off the beaten path, but I think only about a 5 minute walk from San Marcos.

Hmmm, we didn't realize biennial was there though --- and it didn't look like anything was going on. We thought biennial was....well, somewhere else can't remember where....anyway never made it there, ran out of time. But the arsenale was pretty bare minus the Italian Navy officers roaming about between the buildings.

We didn't go to the museum' date=' but accidentally ended up there when "exploring." very easy walk from San Marcos. I would say it is off the beaten path, but I think only about a 5 minute walk from San Marcos.

Hmmm, we didn't realize biennial was there though --- and it didn't look like anything was going on. We thought biennial was....well, somewhere else can't remember where....anyway never made it there, ran out of time. But the arsenale was pretty bare minus the Italian Navy officers roaming about between the buildings.[/quote']

You didn't see any evidence of visitors in the Arsenale during Biennale? That's surprising. When were you there? The Biennale is at its most crowded in the weeks following the opening, but seeing no one in the Arsenale during the exhibition is quite extreme.

If you thought the Biennale was in a different location, you're partly right. Some of the exhibits are set up in pavilions in a garden located in the eastern part of Venice.

and a nice change from art museums and only takes a couple of hours to see, less if you are with your wife.

Well, I'm the wife - but I'm also the history buff in the family and the one who loves ruins & museums. Heck - I stop to read historical markers on the sides of roads:p So if my husband wants to visit this museum, we will find a way to make it happen. And I am far more interested in seeing Peggy Guggenheim's gondola than the art in her old palazzo:o

No offence, just a little joke. Only meant that this is largely a military museum which is usually more of an attraction to males.

My wife also liked the gondola exhibit, but sped us thru the musket area.

If you want more info on the museum use the italian name "museo storico navale" and you might find more results.

It is only about a 10 or 15 minute walk along the waterfont, over 6 bridges , and it it is a nondescript building just over the 6th bridge.

Even if you dont go to the museum, the walk is worth your time. The zattere and the riva are really the only places to get a waterfont view.

Archived