Beach Snorkeling

vtwiggy

DH and I want to do some snorkeling in Grand Cayman when we go in December without booking an excursion. At this point, he has snorkeling gear, I do not, but I am seriously considering getting some before our cruise. So, assuming we bring our own snorkel gear, what are your recommendations for a beach to go to with decent snorkeling? And how to get there? We'll probably want to spend a little time snorkeling, a little time laying on the beach, and a little time shopping, so I'm not looking for something that will take all day. Thanks!!

You may want to try Eden Rock Dive center(Google it for info and photos).

You can snorkel for free, no real beach there and you can walk from the tender area where there is shopping.

Eden Rock/Devils Grotto, as suggested, is probably the best close-by snorkeling. The Cemetery Beach section of Seven Mile Beach is also nice since it incorporates a really nice stretch of beach to go along with OK snorkeling (better stuff 100 yds out). There are no amenities at Cemetery however, so you'd need to bring your own refreshments and shower/change at one of the beach clubs you pass on the way back to the tender area in town.

• 2 weeks later...
DH and I want to do some snorkeling in Grand Cayman when we go in December without booking an excursion. At this point, he has snorkeling gear, I do not, but I am seriously considering getting some before our cruise. So, assuming we bring our own snorkel gear, what are your recommendations for a beach to go to with decent snorkeling? And how to get there? We'll probably want to spend a little time snorkeling, a little time laying on the beach, and a little time shopping, so I'm not looking for something that will take all day. Thanks!!

Not sure what ship you are sailing or how long you will be in port, as that is a consideration.

We will be in Grand Cayman in January on the Legend. Previous trips to Grand Cayman we did an excursion thru Nativeway which was amazing, Sting Ray City, reef snorkeling stop and lunch at Rum Point Beach was all included. This time we want to snorkel on our own and head back to the ship......shopping in GC is too $$$ not our thing.

We are looking at Eden Rock which is within walking distance of tender and they rent lockers.....no beach, but that is ok with us.

You could always snorkel Eden Rock, take the bus to the beach and then return to shop. If you snorkel from the beach be aware you will need to be prepared to swim out a ways to the reef.

Not sure why you prefer not to do an excursion, as that would give you all you are looking for and leaving the planning to someone else.

Good luck, in whatever you decide on!

Susan

Archived