Not Trying to Beat a Dead Horse!!

adios

Yes, the men in my family have very "sexy legs"!!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Having said that, it is absolutely 100% inappropriate to wear jeans/shorts/t-shirts/etc. in the main dining room. Period. Get over it!

"It's there vacation too, and they paid the same money as everyone else."

Did they READ any of the brochures or other information regarding the norms of the cruise line BEFORE they paid?

If so, they sould NOT expect to wear other than the suggested clothing in the main dining room. The rules were in effect BEFORE they paid and should be part of their expectations.

If they DID NOT read the available information, shame on them. You should KNOW what you're paying for before you spend that kind of money.

How is it fair that the folks who "Paid the same money as everyone else" AND were aware of the cruiseline's expectations be subjected to a table full of people wearing Jeans and shorts sitting next to them? When the Photographer takes shots of people at their table dressed in their formal wear do the subjects want to see Levi's and casual shorts in the background?

The fact that they "Paid the SAME as everyone else" does NOT entitle them to dress DIFFERENTLY than everone else! Conform to the dress requirements or eat in the Windjammer.

However, I do agree with those posters that point out that the quality of the food in the formal dining room and the level of service is superior to that in the Windjammer or from room service. The Seaview/JR type alternative venues offer opportunities for casual dress, but at the price of not offering the same quality or variety of food. The other alt restraunts (Chops, Portifino) charge and do not offer any "relief" from the dress codes.

The real issue is that RCCI does not offer a true alternative to those folks who do not want to dress for dinner. If enough of these folks "vote with their feet" and/or complain, RCCI will look for a true alternative but I certainly would not want to be the person at RCCI to come up with that alternative!

I agree with you but as everybody knows about this upon the time when everybody is booking the crusie on RCCL it´s their choice to book it or not. If I choose to book RCCL I have to follow their rules. And the rule is NO shorts in the dining room. It´s the same as with every land based resort, restaurant, etc. if there is a dress rule / requirement you´ll have to follow to go. It´s your choice to go and follow the rule or to stay away.

I, myself, would never show up for dinner in shorts. I like the whole 'get dressed up' thing....however, some people in my party don't like it. So, does that mean we have to eat in different dinning rooms? We are East Texans and our churches on Sunday morning are filled with blue jeans!! I really don't want my guests to fill like they aren't welcomed in the DR wearing what they are comfortable in. It's there vacation too, and they paid the same money as everyone else. Shouldn't each person be concerned about themselves and not pay so much attention to everyone else. In fact, as a human race, shouldn't we do that! We won't be at a table with strangers, making them uncomfortable. I wouldn't wear shorts, but that's me personally. I wanted to know what ya'll thought about it, considering we will be with other family members.

Sorry but I'm from Texas too and if you felt this way why did you ask the question you have already made up your mind with an answer too.

You asked for what we thought and now your not likeing the answers you get. I too say NO.

"It's there vacation too, and they paid the same money as everyone else."

Did they READ any of the brochures or other information regarding the norms of the cruise line BEFORE they paid?

If so, they sould NOT expect to wear other than the suggested clothing in the main dining room. The rules were in effect BEFORE they paid and should be part of their expectations.

If they DID NOT read the available information, shame on them. You should KNOW what you're paying for before you spend that kind of money.

How is it fair that the folks who "Paid the same money as everyone else" AND were aware of the cruiseline's expectations be subjected to a table full of people wearing Jeans and shorts sitting next to them? When the Photographer takes shots of people at their table dressed in their formal wear do the subjects want to see Levi's and casual shorts in the background?

The fact that they "Paid the SAME as everyone else" does NOT entitle them to dress DIFFERENTLY than everone else! Conform to the dress requirements or eat in the Windjammer.

You posted while I wrote my post and I couldn´t have said it better. I always get :mad: when I read such comments like it´s their vacation too and they paid the same money. As you said they should have known what they paid for upfront.

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong....

On the first night of the cruise, anything goes in the dining room clothing wise..... My suggestion wear your shorts, jeans or whatever and get it out of the system.

I don't think shorts should be in the DR after the first night. JMHO

They way EVERYONE is dressed is part of the ambiance that makes a formal afair (or restuant, or diningroom) formal. Anyone who enters the room is a part of the "decorations" and/or interior design.

Nice shorts, to me, equate to the interior design being done with "Very Nice" Velvet Elvis paintings.

Saying no shorts is a line drawn in the sand if the line is moved to include a subjective decision of nice shorts, or nice jeans, cut-offs can't be far behind..NO shorts or NO jeans is easy to determine where the policy is violated.

Now... where's my checked jacket, striped pants, paisley tie and polka-dot shirt...? It's time for dinner

I, myself, would never show up for dinner in shorts. I like the whole 'get dressed up' thing....however, some people in my party don't like it. So, does that mean we have to eat in different dinning rooms?

In my eyes yes unless you choose to dine with them at the Windjammer.

We are East Texans and our churches on Sunday morning are filled with blue jeans!!

What has a church in East Texas to do with a formal dining room on a ship with set rules.:confused: Of course other than that you didn´t like the answers to your questions.

Shouldn't each person be concerned about themselves and not pay so much attention to everyone else. In fact, as a human race, shouldn't we do that!

NO, as a human race we should do exactly the opposite. In my eyes in todays world each person is already much too concerned about themself. Everybody should care a little bit more about other people and the world would truly be a better one. Of course again JMHO.

I wanted to know what ya'll thought about it, considering we will be with other family members.

I´m sure you know now our opinion and you´ll get some more opinions and I´m sure you know now that it has nothing to do with the fact you won´t share a table with others. But as I imagine you already knew this when asking this dead horse question.

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong....

On the first night of the cruise, anything goes in the dining room clothing wise..... My suggestion wear your shorts, jeans or whatever and get it out of the system.

I don't think shorts should be in the DR after the first night. JMHO

I just checked the Compass for the first night from our last cruise. It says, "Suggested dress for the evening -casual". Nowhere does it say "anything goes in the dining room clothing wise".

NO shorts or NO jeans is easy to determine where the policy is violated.

I didn't realise that RCI has a NO jeans policy. When did that happen?

Just an opinion, but I think the OP was having a slow day at the office and everyone bit. She has cruised 4 times on RCI, the most recent this past January on Grandeur, the same ship she will be sailing in April. Not too sure she wanted opinions, rather than entertainment.:D

Dress code for the first night is usually labelled "casual" in the Compass, but because some passengers may not have received luggage, nothing is enforced. You could wear jeans, shorts, etc, - pretty much whatever you travelled in that day. I suppose (and hope) that bathing suits :eek: wouldn't be allowed!!

After that, you should abide by the dress code rules of the dining room - as a general courtesy to your fellow passenger. Follow the same rules you would if you made a reservation at a fancy restaurant. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone provided you have read all the materials in the brochures or online. It is very clear what is expected.

I, myself, would never show up for dinner in shorts. I like the whole 'get dressed up' thing....however, some people in my party don't like it. So, does that mean we have to eat in different dinning rooms? We are East Texans and our churches on Sunday morning are filled with blue jeans!! I really don't want my guests to fill like they aren't welcomed in the DR wearing what they are comfortable in. It's there vacation too, and they paid the same money as everyone else. Shouldn't each person be concerned about themselves and not pay so much attention to everyone else. In fact, as a human race, shouldn't we do that! We won't be at a table with strangers, making them uncomfortable. I wouldn't wear shorts, but that's me personally. I wanted to know what ya'll thought about it, considering we will be with other family members.

And even in Texas, I'm sure that there are appropriate places for everything. Although there are those who flaunt it (my sister's former husband, for example), it would be inappropriate (even in Texas) to go to a restaurant with a requested dress code and ignore it. If you cannot bear to put on long pants for two dinners out of a week, then perhaps you should consider alternative dining. Maybe one of you should get a grand suite or larger and order room service for the group. You'll be able to have the same food as in the dining room and dress however you wish to for dinner.

If you and your guests wanted less formal dining options, there are cruise lines other than RCI that offer those options. The way I feel is that by choosing RCI, you are accepting the dining experience as offered. There are many other cruiselines that will suit your needs if you can't or don't want to follow the requested attire, but I agree that it seems quite rude to the ship and other travellers who are trying to set an atmosphere and environment that they enjoy. To me, not wearing the requested attire is much like attending a movie, play, opera or other show and sitting and talking through the performance because "you paid your ticket" and you can enjoy it how you like it.

Yes, your guests paid for their vacation, but they knew before they put their money down that they were sailing on a ship that had a requested dining attire. If this was an issue, they shouldn't have selected that ship and line. There are other cruise lines where there are not dress codes and if that was an issue for them, then they should have looked into those lines and cruises. But, selecting a line with a dress code and ignoring it is rude. Some of us have selected RCI because we like the more semi-formal/formal atmosphere of the dining room. But, we can't have our vacation the way it was advertised and the way we like it because of people who want to just ignore the rules.

These threads kind of crack me up. In 16 cruises on various lines, I've found that the vast majority of guests do adhere to the dress standards. On Royal Caribbean I've found that it's 95%+ that dress to the spirit of the request. Even on the much bashed (not deserved in my opinion) Carnival it has been 90%+. Celebrity, 99%.

As for using another line, I think even on NCL where they offer freestyle dining, long pants are needed in the dining rooms.

I didn't realise that RCI has a NO jeans policy. When did that happen?

When RCI posted a requested dress code that includes:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

...I can't imagine that anyone would believe that jeans fit into the "slacks" or "pants" categories. While I can understand that jeans are in fact "pants" that seems to be a very obtuse interpretation deliberately trying to circumvent the requested dress code.

I have a different opinion from all of you. I think that nice shorts being worn, at their family dinner table will be perfectly fine. :eek:

As long as their table is in the Windjammer. :D

Stretch

Stretch!! Don't do that to me. I read the first line and I thought hell froze over. I couldn't understand how you, of all people, would agree to shorts in the dining room. Thought maybe someone got a hold of your account.:eek:

What you are wearing to the dining room for dinner should reflect your surroundings. You have been on the RCI before, including the ship you are sailing in April. Did the dining room look like a restaurant where shorts would be exceptable? You won't find too many restaurants on land that are going to have chandaliers, linens, attentative service, etc and allow you to wear jeans or shorts for dinner.

We can't always do what we want. I understand that they paid for their cruise, same as everyone else on the ship and that they feel they should be allowed to partake of the same meals as everyone. But, in order to do that, they should have the common decency to review and adhere to the "suggestions" by RCI when it comes to dressing for a meal in the dining room. If they refuse to do that and feel that they have some "God given right" to wear shorts anyway, then do it. They are more then welcome to eat in the venues that are welcoming to people in shorts and jeans. Just not in the dining room.

Dress code for the first night is usually labelled "casual" in the Compass, but because some passengers may not have received luggage, nothing is enforced. You could wear jeans, shorts, etc, - pretty much whatever you travelled in that day. I suppose (and hope) that bathing suits :eek: wouldn't be allowed!!

Several people have made this comment, and probably hundereds over just the past year, but I still don't see it as an excuse. It's far too simple to pack a pair of dockers, a polo shirt and a pair of socks in your carry on bag. What are they going to do, get hot and sweaty on the pool deck during sail-away, go to their cabin, shower (hopefully anyway) :eek: and put those same sweaty clothes back on for dinner?:confused: Gawd, I hope not. IMHO, there is no excuse, absolutly none, that is acceptable. And where in the world does someone from any state, think are special. (No offence to my friends from Texas). Just explain to your family, this ain't no darn bar-b-que, this is a formal dining room. If they can't understand that, leave 'em at home. (Sorry, I promised myself to "mellow" out.):D

Stretch

When RCI posted a requested dress code that includes:

...I can't imagine that anyone would believe that jeans fit into the "slacks" or "pants" categories. While I can understand that jeans are in fact "pants" that seems to be a very obtuse interpretation deliberately trying to circumvent the requested dress code.

How about when the suggested dress, posted in the Compass for the evening, is "Country Western or casual". Can you understand that Country Western could include jeans, or am I still being too obtuse?

Stretch-O, that sounds pretty 'mellowed' to me !

One of, (I hope) ((he he)) your Friends from Texas !

Shoot fire, there are some of them there bar-b-que places here that aint gonna let you in wearin no dad burn shorts neither.:D

Stretch!! Don't do that to me. I read the first line and I thought hell froze over. I couldn't understand how you, of all people, would agree to shorts in the dining room. Thought maybe someone got a hold of your account.:eek:

36_11_6.gif

I thought that might be an attention getter! Hee Hee! :D

I am trying to "mellow" out a little bit more in my posts.

Stretch

Archived