Mexican Vanilla

arpie05

I tried that, and my DH slipped an extra large bottle in his suitcase! I also love their clear vanilla. You can say that vanilla is vanilla, but I will debate that with you 'til the cows come home!' There's just that extra something about the brand that Los Cinco Soles carries...

I saw that you're aware that clear vanilla isn't really vanilla, but here's some interesting info from http://www.nielsenmassey.com/faq.htm:

Q: Can all natural vanilla be clear?

A: No, clear vanilla is made by combining propylene glycol or glycerine with artificial vanillin.

Q: What is artificial vanillin?

A: Artificial vanillin simulates 1 flavor component out of over 250 different flavor components found in natural vanilla. It is a by product of the wood industry or is produced from petro-chemicals.

Q: Why do people say Mexican vanilla is bad or dangerous?

A: Mexico has no truth in labeling regulations or any organization like our FDA. Many times the vanilla will contain artificial flavors or enhancers, such as Coumarin, which is carcinogenic product that has been outlawed by the FDA for the last 30 to 40 years. If manufactured correctly, under the proper guidelines, it is considered to be a high quality vanilla.

Do you bake this flan?

Yes we did make this flan about a year ago right after we got the recipe and it was fantastic! I have since found a recipe from Daisy Martinez that is a bit easier to make and almost as good. :)

Edited by Kangapong

Thanks for the Vanilla 411! My son (the Chef in training) is going to be thrilled. He makes his own vanilla sugar to keep for everything from tea to baking!

One silly question though since I have never traveled outside the US (except to come into the country as a baby. My dad was in the US Army), is the vanilla something we need to 'claim'?

Thanks all for the positive comments! I'm thinking they'll make great christmas gifts (always buying ahead). I'm on the Elation leaving Saturday and Thursday so I'll have two stops in Cozumel to look for a good deal!

(I did read online that clear vanilla was not real vanilla - by the way - to not buy in my researching)

My sisters MIL went to Cozumel and brought back clear vanilla. The brand is Totonac's vanilla. Has no cumarin in it. Haven't used any of it yet but now I am skeptical. If it's not real vanilla do I really want to use it? Anyone ever heard of that brand, Totonac's??? :confused:

I bought a 1000 ml bottle of the liquid Los Cincos in Cozumel at the port area, and just talking about this makes me want to go bake some chocolate chip cookies.

If you have a lot and love the smell as well as the taste, try dripping a little in your potpourri. Smells heavenly! Way better than the artificial vanilla scent you typically find in potpourri. Sometimes I pour a little on a cotton ball and hide it in various places around the house.

It's a terrific vanilla - and besides, you can't make Flan de café (recipe below:)) without it:D

Have a great cruise!

Flan de café (this is the flan served at Pancho's Backyard)

12 eggs

3 tablespoons of your favorite instant coffee

3 tablespoons of Los Cinco Soles brand pure vanilla

1 quart skim milk

1 ½ cans of condensed milk (596 ml)

½ can of coconut cream (calahua)

The rind of one lime

½ pound of White sugar to caramelize

Preparation

- Cook sugar in a dry small heavy saucepan over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it begins to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a fork, until sugar melts into a deep golden caramel. Immediately pour into a 9-inch round metal cake pan (3 inches deep) and tilt dish to coat bottom (use caution, dish will be hot). Cool until hardened, 10 to 15 minutes.

- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until mixed perfectly, add the condensed milk, the coconut cream, the lime rinds, the instant coffee and mix until well-blended.

- Pour egg mixture into the flan mold, cover and place the mold into a luke warm water bath for about one hour

- Chill flan, covered, until cold, at least 8 hours.

To unmold flan, run a thin knife around edge of dish to loosen flan. Invert a large platter with a lip over dish. Holding dish and platter securely together, quickly invert and turn out flan onto platter. Caramel will pour out over and around flan.

Now I'm confused. You say you do bake this flan (thank heaven as there are eggs in it) but you don't say at what temp for how long.

Thanks for the Vanilla 411! My son (the Chef in training) is going to be thrilled. He makes his own vanilla sugar to keep for everything from tea to baking!

One silly question though since I have never traveled outside the US (except to come into the country as a baby. My dad was in the US Army), is the vanilla something we need to 'claim'?

I listed it on the back of my claim form..but they've never turned it over.

My sisters MIL went to Cozumel and brought back clear vanilla. The brand is Totonac's vanilla. Has no cumarin in it. Haven't used any of it yet but now I am skeptical. If it's not real vanilla do I really want to use it? Anyone ever heard of that brand, Totonac's??? :confused:

May want to read the labels. We bought some last year and noticed that some of the vanilla sold there has corn syrup added. Put it right back on the shelf and bought the pure

Had to laugh at that recipe.

Flan de café (this is the flan served at Pancho's Backyard)

12 eggs

3 tablespoons of your favorite instant coffee

3 tablespoons of Los Cinco Soles brand pure vanilla

1 quart skim milk

1 ½ cans of condensed milk (596 ml)

½ can of coconut cream (calahua)

The rind of one lime

½ pound of White sugar to caramelize

A dozen eggs,1 1/2 cans condensed milk, 1/2 can coconut cream, 1/2 pound sugar, then 1 quart skim milk. Does that make it less calories?

On our last cruise on the Dream, I bought two larger bottles of vanilla. They wrapped them in a mesh like thing to protect them. When we went through security to board the ship, the guy running the scanner told me I had to check the liquor in at the desk. I told him that they were vanilla and he just said "OK" without even opening the bag. Maybe that would work for smuggling liquor back onboard.

I didn't realize that the Los Cincos Soles was so popular but last year on our cruise I happened upon it and bought some because I bake a lot and always have a hard time picking up things from trips that I feel worth buying. I loved it! I realized pretty quickly that I should have gotten the bigger bottle. Good thing we are going back next week. ;) I'll have to check some of the Mexican markets around town too, to see if I can find it closer to home.

Part of the reason for cruisin is I need more vanilla :). I use it often. I bought clear vanilla from Wilton in the states and do not use it enough to want to take it home from Mexico. I buy quite a few bottles and one thing I do with it is use it in my coffee maker after cleaning. I have a keurig and have to do the vinegar cleaning every so often but after the vinegar I refill the reservoir with water and some vanilla to get rid of the vinegar flavor and scent . I wash the resevior between the vinegar and vanilla. But I just do a good rinse after the vanilla

add a little Mex Vanilla..and maybe a tb. of CoCo Lopez to a bit of milk, shake on some cinnamon, stir to mix,to break it down a bit, add more milk the add that to your unsweetened cereal..yum---capital "O" this morning it was grrrreat!, works in hot/winter cereals also!!!

Maybe a vanilla-tini..it's friday after alllllll !

I swear by their vanilla, and pick it up in liquid, paste, and bean form. Which reminds me - I need to add that to my shopping list for when we're in Cozumel in February... running low on it!!!

Thanks OP and Chef Susan,...I use Vanilla in my protein powder smoothies..appreciate the tip...sarah

Simply stated, consuming vanilla produced in Mexico is a serious health risk. With a background in organic chemistry, I can tell you the solvent used in extracting the flavoring is often toxic in Mexico as the producers are subject to little or no regulation. Buy your vanilla in the US and protect your life.

Simply stated, consuming vanilla produced in Mexico is a serious health risk. With a background in organic chemistry, I can tell you the solvent used in extracting the flavoring is often toxic in Mexico as the producers are subject to little or no regulation. Buy your vanilla in the US and protect your life.

Thank you Mr. Wizard. It was just yesterday that I read an article about folks in Mexico dropping dead in droves because of this...oh, wait, I didn't read that.

Now I'm confused. I bought a bottle of clear vanilla when we were in Puerto Vallarta in February (Carnival Spirit). The brand is Usumacinta, label says Pure Vanilla, and ingredients listed as "pure vanilla, water, alcohol". Also says "This product does not contain coumarin". Bottle also contains vanilla beans inside. Are you saying that this isn't really vanilla? I bought the clear vanilla to use for truer colours in icings for cake decorating. Though one could argue that cake icing is not exactly good for you either...

I am not big on baking so, I personally buy the clear and use it in all of our camping coolers and larger liquid dispensers after each use. Just by pouring some on a paper towel and wiping the inside of the coolers out and leaving the paper towel inside the container keeps the musty smell out until the next time we use them.

Okay, I have to add this comment -

I read a romance novel in which the hero kept obsessing over the way the heroine smelled, it really turned him on - he called her "Sugar Cookie Susy" - then one weekend, when they were staying with his family, he caught her in the pantry splashing his grandmother's vanilla flavoring all over her naked body.

I am not big on baking so, I personally buy the clear and use it in all of our camping coolers and larger liquid dispensers after each use. Just by pouring some on a paper towel and wiping the inside of the coolers out and leaving the paper towel inside the container keeps the musty smell out until the next time we use them.

Thanks for that bet it smells better than the bleach I use in mine.:D:D

Can someone post the ingredient list from the Los Cinco Soles Natural Gourment Vanilla. I would be interested in buying some but only if it is pure vanilla extract.

Thanks,

Kelly

Verbatim from the bottle in my cupboard::D

``Ingredientes. Extracto de Vainilla pura, Agua, Alcohol y Vanillin.''

Dianne