Taxis and Beaches

LoraJ

I am assuming it would be fairly easy to take a cab to Tobacco, Elbow and Horseshoe, but is it easy to get a cab back? We'll be on the Veendam and prices I have seen quoted on here have been from where the Gem is docked, does anyone know how much it would be from where we are docked?

Hi,

Id like to recommend the public transportation pass. I dont remember the price but it was ALLOT less than a cab and it included buses and ferrys. For exmple if you go to Tobacco, just over the hill is the port for teh ferry and you can take it right to Kings Wharf. The buses run constantly and stop at the top of the hill down to Horseshoe. You may have to wait a few minutes for buses, but like I said its much cheaper than a cab. We bought our passes on the ship, but that was RCCL, so check with your cruise line to see if you can do that. Good luck and have fun !

I am assuming it would be fairly easy to take a cab to Tobacco, Elbow and Horseshoe, but is it easy to get a cab back? We'll be on the Veendam and prices I have seen quoted on here have been from where the Gem is docked, does anyone know how much it would be from where we are docked?

Getting a cab back from Tobacco / St Catherines was VERY HARD by taxi/cab! When we went back in May we initially went to Tobacco to snorkel. However a storm the previous evening had stirred up the man o war jellies. They were all over the beach and some in the water. We were told until the beach could be cleaned (which would take them a few hours) there would be no swiming. So we opted to walk to St Catherines. After snorkeling there for a few hours (the snorkeling was not very good BTW) we went to hail a cab. All the taxis that went by were filled w/ sightseers. Luckily we were able to have one stop (after about 15-20 minutes of waiting) who called for a taxi to come get us. But it still took them an additional 20 minutes or so to get to us.

Getting a cab back from Tobacco / St Catherines was VERY HARD by taxi/cab! When we went back in May we initially went to Tobacco to snorkel. However a storm the previous evening had stirred up the man o war jellies. They were all over the beach and some in the water. We were told until the beach could be cleaned (which would take them a few hours) there would be no swiming. So we opted to walk to St Catherines. After snorkeling there for a few hours (the snorkeling was not very good BTW) we went to hail a cab. All the taxis that went by were filled w/ sightseers. Luckily we were able to have one stop (after about 15-20 minutes of waiting) who called for a taxi to come get us. But it still took them an additional 20 minutes or so to get to us.

Thanks for the info, I wonder if there would be a way to pre-arrange a pickup time with whatever cab company drops us off.

The walk back from TB to the center of st George is not that far and your chances on getting a cab quickly would improve. I would estimate the walk at about 15 to 20 minutes and is mostly down hill.

Just a thought.

LoraJ asked: ....prices I have seen quoted on here have been from where the Gem is docked, does anyone know how much it would be from where we are docked (Hamilton)?....

Here are my estimates for the fares. Assumptions: weekday travel & 1 to 4 passengers.

• to Elbow Beach - $11.00
  • to Horseshoe Bay - $18.00

I know you have read CC member sarahc78's post on the difficulty of catching a cab while at Tobacco/St Catherines; but I am not exactly sure which location he/she was waiting at for the cab. So I would think the chances would be better by waiting for a cab at TB because of people arriving to snorkel in a cab. I believe I read recently on this forum that the fare back from TB to King's Square was less than $10.00.

SBtS

we ferried to hamilton and then cabbed to TB. from TB we took the informal ride to the ferry and took that back to the ship. cabbed to elbow beach and asked for him to return and he was on the spot. i know cabs cost more but i hate wasting a moment waiting for anything and my old knees don't like climbing in and out of busses.

We have taken a cab to Horseshoe Bay three times (from the Dockyard) and our fourth time will be in about a week. The cab driver drives you down the hill right to the Bath House/concession area. We have arranged a pick up time and every time he was right there at the agreed upon time.

LoraJ asked: ....prices I have seen quoted on here have been from where the Gem is docked, does anyone know how much it would be from where we are docked (Hamilton)?....

Here are my estimates for the fares. Assumptions: weekday travel & 1 to 4 passengers.

• to Elbow Beach - $11.00
  • to Horseshoe Bay - $18.00

I know you have read CC member sarahc78's post on the difficulty of catching a cab while at Tobacco/St Catherines; but I am not exactly sure which location he/she was waiting at for the cab. So I would think the chances would be better by waiting for a cab at TB because of people arriving to snorkel in a cab. I believe I read recently on this forum that the fare back from TB to King's Square was less than $10.00.

SBtS

It was $11 from St Catherines to the ferry site for 2 adults and 3 children.

We were waiting at St Catherines for the taxi.

We have taken a cab to Horseshoe Bay three times (from the Dockyard) and our fourth time will be in about a week. The cab driver drives you down the hill right to the Bath House/concession area. We have arranged a pick up time and every time he was right there at the agreed upon time.

Jim do you mind me asking what the cost roundtrip from the dockyard was and did you pay up front or when the cab returned? My husband cannot take the bus because he uses an electric scooter.and I think the ferry is quite a distance for me to walk to the beaches. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Jim do you mind me asking what the cost roundtrip from the dockyard was and did you pay up front or when the cab returned? My husband cannot take the bus because he uses an electric scooter.and I think the ferry is quite a distance for me to walk to the beaches. Thanks

We wondering the exact same thing.......what is the cab cost from Dockyard to HSB, 3 passengers?? anyone else know??? :)

GRTKJ asked: ....what is the cab cost from Dockyard to HSB, 3 passengers?.....

The regular taxi fare to Horseshoe Bay from the Dockyard is about $30.00 for 1-4 passengers, weekday travel.

But IIRC, there is a per person rate of $6.00 for the trip to HSB only. The taxi will wait to fill before departing the Dockyard.

SBtS

Hi, I do not mind telling you at all. I would have responded earlier but I was actually in Bermuda last week, Wed-Friday.

It cost us 27.00 one way for the 4 of us to go from the Norwegian Gem at Heritage Wharf (Dockyard) to Horseshoe Bay. We also give a tip so that was on top of the price.

We spent about 4 hours there and got another cab by the bathhouse to take us back. It was the same price back.

Hi, I do not mind telling you at all. I would have responded earlier but I was actually in Bermuda last week, Wed-Friday.

It cost us 27.00 one way for the 4 of us to go from the Norwegian Gem at Heritage Wharf (Dockyard) to Horseshoe Bay. We also give a tip so that was on top of the price.

We spent about 4 hours there and got another cab by the bathhouse to take us back. It was the same price back.

So it is only about $6 pp if you go to HSB only from Dockyard? Awesome!!!:cool:

from the 5/16/11 Royal Gazette: ....They (taxi drivers) also want to be allowed to carry seven passengers rather than six and for transport bosses to rethink a reduced fare from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay they are now charging $6.00; previously the flat rate was $8.00 per person....

SBtS

Are there taxis for 6 people?

from the 5/16/11 Royal Gazette: ....They (taxi drivers) also want to be allowed to carry seven passengers rather than six and for transport bosses to rethink a reduced fare from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay they are now charging $6.00; previously the flat rate was $8.00 per person....

SBtS

I love it!!! Thanks for confirming! :cool:

Yes thanks! Last time we used the busses. Waited for a long time only to find a full bus and had to wait longer. We are using ferries and taxis only this trip.:) Given the short time you get in these ports I hate to waste time.

Archived