If Not Thomson WHO?

If you were going to do another Cruise line who would it be hoping for the same sort of Cruise?:D

Lets be controversial!

Want a british ambience ship?

P&O or Fred Olsen are the alternatives.

Freds ships are similar in size to Thomson but from looking at the adverts and reading the forums I get the distinct impression that at 60 years of age I will be a bit young for the onboard demographic.;) They are also more formal.

P&O have newer larger ships but they are more formal and it seems you have to be careful about which ship you choose if you don't want to be caught in a 'faded raj' timewarp. :D

Ventura and Oceana might be suitable so I am trying Ventura in September :eek:

All the above may or may not be true:)

My parents (76 and 83) go on Fred Olsen regularly. On a recent trip to Iceland/Norway they thought they were about average ages... So that kind of supports your impressions.

They like the UK departures and smaller ships used by Olsen.

Having said that, on their video footage there are a few young families with kids there too, so its not only the silver surfers.

If you were going to do another Cruise line who would it be hoping for the same sort of Cruise?:D

Fred Olsen - definitely! We have been on the Braemar twice firstly Northern Europe (Holland, Belgium,France and Guernsey) and there were ALL ages on it, from babies to pensioners. We are pensioners, but pretty fit. Not all pensioners are decrepit you know:rolleyes: We have friend of 81 who still goes jogging! There are lots of younger people on mobility scooters and sticks too!

Anyway, we enjoyed it so much we went to the Caribbean on her last winter. Admittedly, the age of the passengers was older then, but I should think that is the case on most cruises in term time and given the fact that us "oldies" are probably better off than the youngsters today.

On the first trip there were a group of teenage girls, who sat watching the ball room dancing demonstations between the shows in the show lounge and seemed to be enjoying it, but declined to join in!!

As for being more formal - well yes there are two formal nights a week, opposed to one on Thomson, but obviously you don't have to go! The buffet (Palm's Cafe) is brilliant and the waiters will show you to your seaat, carry your soup to your table and bring you coffee, so as good as the dining room. They also have theme nights - country and western, red,white and blue etc, but again you don't have to dress up, although lots do.

Can't comment on P&O as not been on them (yet!) Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess are expensive, especially trips and drink prices. I like Thomson and am thinking of going again later in the year, but of all the ships I have been on "Braemar" is my favourite - it's like Thomson, but a smarter ship.

Difficult one this.

We have cruised with FO and Thomson.

Both great but both different.

Older people on FO, more formal, more stylish, better meals and ambience.

Thomsons wider spread of ages, better entertainment, more livley.

If I had a free cruise on either to the same destinations I would go on ..............don't know, its that close. If FO had as good entertainment as Thomson then that would be my ideal.

No experience of P&O until next Feb when we are on the Arcadia for 3 weeks.

Ocean Countess or Marco Polo get some stick but some people like them and they are smaller ships. A friend of mine goes on nothing else.

What ever you choose have a good time.

Love this thread. Just what I was pondering over. More posts please.:):)

Jan

I have only ever cruised with Thomsons. I would certainly consider FO as I quite like the formal nights and to me, the food is more important than the entertainment. It wouldnt bother me that most FO cruisers are older than me.

Love this thread. Just what I was pondering over. More posts please.:):)

Jan

Ta Ekco. Inspired by Thomson really love the Ships but does anyone do cruising like them? NCL? FO? Costa? really would love to know mainly because we want a cruise in January and it wont be Carribean because that will be the 2013 biggy lol. Cruise next summer with Thomson no doubt too. So come on guys Inspire me lol ?:D

Ta Ekco. Inspired by Thomson really love the Ships but does anyone do cruising like them? NCL? FO? Costa? really would love to know mainly because we want a cruise in January and it wont be Carribean because that will be the 2013 biggy lol. Cruise next summer with Thomson no doubt too. So come on guys Inspire me lol ?:D

Also MSC any good or bad on these ship?

I've seen the Aida ships all over the place and they look fab. Sadly, they don't take bookings from people that don't have a working knowledge of German. That definitely counts me out, lol.:D:D

We could all club together and hire the Hebridean ship that the Queen had for her holiday last year.:)

Jan

We've done cruises with Thomson, P&O, MSC & Fred.

Going with MSC again this year and Thomson next - so shows which we prefer. We like the more relaxed feel with those two and the fact you (usually) fly cruise so you don't waste days cruising from the UK to get anywhere for Med/Black Sea cruises.

People either love or hate MSC - so long as you remember you are in Italy when you are on board you will be fine.

Fred's service is excellent - we did the Caribbean crossing last year and there were all ages on board. Average age I reckon around 55.

I'd not hurry back to P&O. Nothing wrong but I think they are over-priced and the ships are getting too big.

I don't fancy any of the big American resort ships - but my cousins love Royal Caribbean and I've several colleagues who only cruise with Princess.

I think it's a case of research, research research.

We sailed with NCL (norwegian gem) last year- our first cruise, and had a fantastic time! This year we are taking our 2 children(22 &19) with us, so cost was an issue when booking and is the reason we chose Thomson this time. It will be interesting to compare the two so will let you know! :)

Archived