Snorkeling gear/backpack

markser

I know the ship provides snorkeling gear for use during the cruise. Does it also provide a netting-style bag in which to carry the gear on the tenders or zodiacs?

I saw backpacks on a suggested packing list on this site. The one I have is kind of heavy and bulky. Do I need something substantial that I will be wearing or carrying for a long time or can I get by with anything that will hold our sunscreen and beach towels. I have a nice waterproof bag, but it is just a bag -- not a backpack. I used it for carrying my camera gear on zodiacs on a Galapagos cruise but it is larger enough to hold some other stuff too.

Are any of the hiking excursions really great that I might need a backpack for one of those? I'm more of a snorkeler than a hiker.

Thanks for your helpful responses to this and my numerous other questions.

And the bags are numbered so you don't get them mixed up. We did the 3 coconut hike on Moorea and a light back pack was helpful for carrying water, sunscreen, etc. It is a hike for those physically fit with a killer view from the top.

I do not think you need a substantial backpack at all. I have usually brought a beach bag to carry a towel, sunscreen and camera. Sometimes a fanny pack (I have an adjustable one that opens up a bit larger.) I've used both, and both work in most cases.

The beach towels provided by the ship are quite bulky, but you don't have to fit that into a bag really. Sometimes mine has ended up in the net bag with the snorkel equipment, especially at the end of excursions when it's wet.

Archived