Motion Sickness Remedies & Alcohol :-)

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting so close to :D Cruise Day :D that I thought it was time to start thinking about motion sickness remedies. I have read all about the usual remedies ~ Bonine, Ginger capsules, Ginger candy, Green Apples, Crackers, Sea Bands, Essential Oils, Dramamine, Transdermal Scopolamine Patches.....etc. They all sound like good options, but the question that I have that I can't seem to find the answer to is....Which is best to take when you are drinking alcohol? I don't want to take something that is going to make me sleepy on my first cruise. All of you seasoned cruisers...please let me know what you have used that mixes well with alcohol. Thank you!!

My husband is very prone to seasickness. He relies on meclizine (the generic of Bonine)-- he takes a pill the night before sailing and one each night of the cruise. If the weather starts to get rocky, he'll take a 2nd pill. He drinks plenty and has never had a problem.

I think taking it at night is key-- if you get drowsy, you're trying to sleep anyway.

have you cruised before? I get sea sick on smaller ships but not on cruise ships. We went snorkeling in Aruba and the waves got me a little sick while floating around. I could't wait to get back on the cruise to get better.

You will wake up every two hours with a poopy butt?? ;)

Oh MY!!! If that happened to one of my DS's friends that we took along and accidently took a regular dramimine and then had a beer, he didn't share it with me!!! :eek:

My husband is very prone to seasickness. He relies on meclizine (the generic of Bonine)-- he takes a pill the night before sailing and one each night of the cruise. If the weather starts to get rocky, he'll take a 2nd pill. He drinks plenty and has never had a problem.

I think taking it at night is key-- if you get drowsy, you're trying to sleep anyway.

That is what I use...my dr. gives me an RX for Meclizine and I start taking it a few nights before the cruise, and continue each night of the cruise. I have never had any effects with drinks. But make sure you take it before bed, if it does make you sleepy you are in bed already :)

-:¦:-•:*"'"*:•.-:¦:-•*Thank you everyone!-:¦:-•:*"'"*:•.-:¦:-•*

You guys ROCK! So helpful and funny :D

I think I'm going to go with the non-drowsy dramamine. And, I will be SURE to avoid the regular dramamine AT ALL COSTS!! I definitely don't want to have mudd butt on my awesome vacation!! :eek:

That is what I use...my dr. gives me an RX for Meclizine and I start taking it a few nights before the cruise, and continue each night of the cruise. I have never had any effects with drinks. But make sure you take it before bed, if it does make you sleepy you are in bed already :)

Folks SAVE YOUR MONEY. The active ingrediant in Bonine is Meclizine 25mg. Go to Wal-mart and ask the pharmacist for it. It is kept behind the counter because doctor's prescribe it for vertigo. You DO NOT need a RX to buy it. 100ct bottle is around $10.

Like others have said take it at night in case it does make you sleepy. Also start taking it a couple of days before the cruise. Also it doesnt hurt to take for a day or two afterwards to reduce the motion feeling you get when you get back on dry land.

While at Wal-mart, look in the vitamin section for Ginger Root pills. About $5 for a bottle. The ginger root helps in reducing the quesiness you might feel. It is good to take in the morning or during meals.

Dave

Folks SAVE YOUR MONEY. The active ingrediant in Bonine is Meclizine 25mg. Go to Wal-mart and ask the pharmacist for it. It is kept behind the counter because doctor's prescribe it for vertigo. You DO NOT need a RX to buy it. 100ct bottle is around $10.

Like others have said take it at night in case it does make you sleepy. Also start taking it a couple of days before the cruise. Also it doesnt hurt to take for a day or two afterwards to reduce the motion feeling you get when you get back on dry land.

While at Wal-mart, look in the vitamin section for Ginger Root pills. About $5 for a bottle. The ginger root helps in reducing the quesiness you might feel. It is good to take in the morning or during meals.

Dave

Dave: Any idea how much Ginger Root a (slightly larger than average sized) adult should take? Thanks!

Hello Everyone' date='

I'm getting so close to :D Cruise Day :D that I thought it was time to start thinking about motion sickness remedies. I have read all about the usual remedies ~ Bonine, Ginger capsules, Ginger candy, Green Apples, Crackers, Sea Bands, Essential Oils, Dramamine, Transdermal Scopolamine Patches.....etc. They all sound like good options, but the question that I have that I can't seem to find the answer to is....Which is best to take when you are drinking alcohol? I don't want to take something that is going to make me sleepy on my first cruise. All of you seasoned cruisers...please let me know what you have used that mixes well with alcohol. Thank you!!

I am sure it has been mentioned.. always take whatever you are using at night before bed.. then continue every night and 2 days after the cruise to make sure you do not get the sea legs afterwards... has worked for me on all 10 cruises... never been sick never felt the rocking motion after wards.. except once when I forgot to take my pills...

Dave: Any idea how much Ginger Root a (slightly larger than average sized) adult should take? Thanks!

One or two capsules per meal. It is recommended not to take more than 4 grams a day. Most capsules are 500mg. Ginger can be a blood thinner. It also may cause heart burn.

Dave

Dave

They don't always work for everyone.. and I am one they DO NOT work for... always have a back up!!

They have instructions on the bottle...but as per my previous post bring a back up

Depends on how sick you get. I have had inner ear problems since childhood, and my motion sickness is unbearable. Ginger doesn't help me at all. Tried the wrist bands and other remedies that have been suggested to no avail. My doctor gave me a scrip for the patch and I'm able to cruise, fly and ride in the car without getting sick. She did not want me to drink at all on Bonine. But can on the patch. Not sure if it's because of my other meds. Plus Bonine makes me sleepy and I still get queazy. Your best bet is to call your doctors office and ask their advice.

Archived