Tour Guide for Hong Kong

pickypicky

I'd like a recommendation for a private tour guide for our upcoming trip to Hong Kong. We will only have two days, so feel that a guide will help us to see and do the most in the least time.

Also, I notice that there are walking tours where public transportation is used and tours by private car (more expensive). Can anyone tell me if the car is a better idea in Hong Kong, or if we'd do just as well with the walking tour (we're good walkers).

Thanks in advance!

You can't just do walking tours in Hong Kong. You will need some form of transportation. We used the HOHO bus. It has multiple routes and 2 day tickets. Included is your Star Ferry ride and tram up Victoria Peak. Hits all the top tourist spots in HK. www.bigbustours.com Others may be able to suggest private guides.

I would not recommend a car. Most people tour HK on their own. You can do a search by going back to the Asia Ports of Call section and looking to the right of the blue bar near the top of the page.

Hey maryann,

Is the NL Pharmacist you know Elaine Wilcott by chance?

I would not recommend a car. Most people tour HK on their own. You can do a search by going back to the Asia Ports of Call section and looking to the right of the blue bar near the top of the page.

That's what I thought, re the car--sounds like the walking tours are guides going with you on the ferry, MTR, whatever it takes to get around, just with a running commentary and maybe recommendations for good places to eat. We really only have the two days and I'm concerned with wasting one getting our bearings--that's what usually happens;) Still hoping for someone to give me the name of their favorite guide? Thanks Maryann for your helpful reply.

Hong Kong is super easy to do it yourself. The subway is exceedingly easy and quick to learn. MUCH easier than the confusing system in New York. It is simplistic and simply, works! I went on my own and managed to do all sorts of things. You need to see Victoria's Peak; go on a ferry to Kowloon and back (if you are staying in Central) and the Cable Car across the islands is simply stunning! And you can get to every place you need to via subway. They even have a dedicated Disney subway train to get to Disneyland.

HONG KONG SELF SIGHT-SEEING.

Hong Kong has two parts the Kowloon side (on the Chinese mainland) and Hong Kong Island . The Star Ferry links Kowloon and Central and Wan Chai on HK Island as reliably today as it has done for over 150 years . A splendid MTR rail system also covers both sides and provides under harbour links . In addition a network of double decker buses also provides key tourist services.

Cruise boats primarily berth at Ocean Terminal on the Kowloon side alongside the Star Ferry Pier, and occasionally at Freight berths in Kennedytown on HK Island .

Kowloon side - between Ocean Terminal and Nathan Road is the heart of great shopping for everything imaginable including clothes, watches, electronics and jewellery . Avoid the brand name department stores and search out the great deals with the smaller traders . Nearest MTR is Tsim Tsa Tsui.

The Temple Street Night Market operates nightly in Temple St , Jordan on Kowloon side . Nearest MTR is Jordan then a short walk . Temple St runs parallel to Nathan Rd several blocks back towards the harbour .

Hong Kong Island : here one finds Victoria Peak, Ocean Park, Stanley, and Aberdeen . Cross the harbour by Star Ferry and soak in the atmosphere of the world’s most exciting city . Step ashore at Central Star Ferry Piers . You will see a bus interchange on shoreside. Take bus # 15 for Victoria Peak, # 15C for the Lower Peak Tram Station (then Peak Tram) to the Peak , # 629 for Ocean Park Aquarium (at 0935,0955,1015 only Daily); 6, 6X or 260 for the Fishing Village of Stanley and the famous daytime (from 10am) Stanley Market .

Victoria Peak is best visited at sunset for stunning views across the harbour as HK lights up . Nightly harbour light show at 8pm. For stunning views come down from the Peak at night by bus # 15 . The peak bus terminal is under the Galleria Shopping Centre . If you are bound for Kowloon bail out of the bus at Admiralty and take the MTR to Tsim Tsa Tsui or Jordan . If heading back to Ocean Terminal return to Kowloon from Central on the Island by the Star Ferry .

For those wishing to visit the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island here’s how to do that as inexpensive day round trip :

Leaving around 0830 by MTR to TUNG CHUNG, walk out the station cross a large open square and head for the Chairlift ( operates from 1000 to 1800) . At the Chairlift buy the combined daily Chairlift & Lantau Island Bus Pass . Take the breathtaking chairlift which does 2 x 90 degree turns to NGONG PING . Alight walk through the village shops and climb over 300 stairs to the magnificent Buddha . Return to the lower Ngong Ping Shopping area and from the adjacent Bus Terminal take bus # 21 (at 1035, 1120, 1220, 1320) from NGONG PING to the fishing Village of TAI O . Walk slightly inland to discover the real village and a wonderful range of seafood restaurants where you can take in lunch. Walk back to the Shoreside bus terminal and take bus # 1 from TAI O to MUI WO Pier. (40 minute frequency). Then fast ferry from MUI WO (Hourly departures) will have you back at Central on HK Island next to the Star Ferry Central Pier . If you leave Kowloon on the MRT at 0830 , you will be on the chairlift at start up time (1000), and have time to explore Ngong Ping and the Buddha to make the # 21 bus from Ngong Ping at 11.20 to Tai O . After lunch in Tai O you easily make # 1 bus to be in MUI WO to connect with the 1500 fast ferry to Hong Kong island - central Ferry Piers.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies. I really would like to have a guide--not that we can't do it on our own, but because a guide, in our experience, just gives us so much more information than a self-guided tour, which we have done--we will most likely end up taking one of the many forms of exceptional transportation that each of you has mentioned...with a guide!

(I'm still looking, if anyone has a name) Thanks again!

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies. I really would like to have a guide--not that we can't do it on our own, but because a guide, in our experience, just gives us so much more information than a self-guided tour, which we have done--we will most likely end up taking one of the many forms of exceptional transportation that each of you has mentioned...with a guide!

(I'm still looking, if anyone has a name) Thanks again!

Go to tripadvisor.com and see the Hong Kong forums and see if there is guide list. It is not common to use a guide in HK. The TopTen Guide book is great to self tour. We just spent 9 nights there and can say we need to return to see more. (the most "touristy" attraction I've been to was Victoria Peak and that was years ago)

Archived