Dry Cleaning and Laundry

karenbeanpole

What's the onboard dry cleaning and laundry services like? The dry cleaning prices look very reasonable - is it a good standard? Do most people use the laundry or the self service launderette?

Hi Krenbeanpole. I've used the dry cleaning services on board QM2, and I was more than happy with the service. Hubby uses the self-service laundry, and he reports that it works well - just use it in off hours, and be there when the machine stops. We have also use the ships laundry service when special discounts are offered, usually at the end of a segment voyage.

My experience has been that dry cleaning service on QM2 is excellent, prompt and reasonable in cost. This is in contrast to a recent voyage on Caribbean Princess, whose dry cleaning/laundry service I do not recommend.

Just to mention, if you are in Britannia Category, your shower stall has a clothes line in the event you wish to wash your "delicates" in your sink and hang them up to dry .

Yours in good clean fun,:)

Salacia

We did use the self service laundry. The laundry was the only thing we complained about. When you were able to find a working/empty machine it worked fine. But, this was very difficulty. We went to use the machines only after we had a bag of laundry. Unfortunately this was not the case for others. There were many people just washing just a couple of items. It was very annoying. I think because it was free people were just taking advantage.

Is there an hour restriction when the self serve laundry can be used? DW wakes up early, she can get a load done while I'm still sleeping. Does anyone know how long the machines take to wash and dry a load?

Russ

Is there an hour restriction when the self serve laundry can be used? DW wakes up early, she can get a load done while I'm still sleeping. Does anyone know how long the machines take to wash and dry a load?

Russ

The hours are something like 8am to 8pm, the wash is 25 minutes and drying is about 30 minutes. The laundry service on board is quite cheap at $3 to $5 per shirt.

The hours are something like 8am to 8pm, the wash is 25 minutes and drying is about 30 minutes. The laundry service on board is quite cheap at $3 to $5 per shirt.

You are obviously one of those who only washes a few things. A large load takes about 45 mins to wash and upwards of 1 hr to dry. The opening hours on QE were 7.30am to 9pm, although it was usually opened earlier.

When we were on the world cruise we found that towards end of segments, and sometimes when there were at least 2 consecutive sea days, we were offered laundry special of 30 items for $30, which included ironing. We also qualified for an additional discount, which makes it an even better deal. We used the self-laundry as well, but it was nice to stuff that bag with dress shirts and everything that needed ironing, adding whatever else came to 30 items. I don't put delicates in that bag, as I'm sure they are washed and dried in hotter temperatures than I'd like.

The laundry room can have long lines and a few disagreeable people, but most are very nice. Early in the morning is actually pretty busy. If you dine late, do laundry during the first dinner seating.

Pack some wire hangers and a few clothes pins, they come in very handy. I also packed some dryer softener sheets.

We have, over our 15 voyages, had only excellent experiences with the dry cleaners on Cunard ships. Great work and not harsh on the clothing.

Regarding the laundrettes: choose your times carefully and you'll be happy with the results there, as well.

Happy cruising!

• 3 weeks later...

The dry cleaning service is reasonable and worked well for us. I also use the laundrettes. It is a good idea to try and do this off peak and if you're looking to iron a shirt just know the Brits love to iron :) It gets very busy the late afternoon of formal night.

You should be aware that international pollution regulations have forced cruise lines to remove real Dry Cleaning machinery and chemicals from their ships.

We now all use a "wet cleaning" process that does not use dangerous chemicals.

But it does use water, and a cleaner that is not always good for finer fabrics.

We are seeing far more damaged clothing with this new process.

I advise not sending any delicate items you are not willing to risk having ruined.

You should be aware that international pollution regulations have forced cruise lines to remove real Dry Cleaning machinery and chemicals from their ships.

We now all use a "wet cleaning" process that does not use dangerous chemicals.

But it does use water, and a cleaner that is not always good for finer fabrics.

We are seeing far more damaged clothing with this new process.

I advise not sending any delicate items you are not willing to risk having ruined.

BruceMuzz, that is what I experienced on a Princess ship last May; my experience in July on QM2 was that the dry cleaning process was excellent as it had been in the past. Accoding to your post, things have changed...may I ask when you experienced having your clothes damanged, and on which ship?

Thanks,

Salacia

Archived