Height of beds in HC cabins

Oceanwench

Does anyone know the height standards for beds in HC cabins? DH has been scouring the ADA and similar docs but has not found anything.

We sail HAL and have never had a problem. But some HAL pax have said that ALL cabins will be getting the new pillowtop mattresses, and DH knows that he cannot transfer into a high bed.

Thanks!

We have not found there to be any kind of bed height in HC cabins. Generally it has not been a problem; however, the beds on the NCL Spirit were so low that my husband had great difficulty standing up to transfer to his wheelchair. We solved it by having the cabin steward add another mattress thanks to the suggestion of another board member who we met on the cruise.

It does vary by cruise line and even by ship. We have not had a problem on HAL, but on the Vision of the Seas the bed was too low. The room steward put an extra mattress on top and this made the height right for us (we use a travel lift and it will not go lower than wheelchair height). Thank goodness you virtually never find a platform bed on cruise ships as in hotels and motels we cannot use these with our lift at all.

I would call the cruise lines and have them measure. There is no bed height standard in the ADAAG (only clear space standards), and even if there was, it dosn't apply to cruise ships. Each line is different.

Candy

I realize that it does not apply to cruise lines at this time.

Actually, the question arose b/c we were at Disney over the weekend and the HC room had a very high bed. He had a difficul time getting in and out of the bed, as it was a lot higher than his wheelchair.

We have been on HAL after they upgraded the mattresses, and it appeared they did not put the high pillowtops in the HC cabins.

However, we are going on a different ship this time, and we are hoping there is not a problem.

In my experience, calling HAL with any questions is useless, as there are as many answers as there are service reps.

All of the staterooms are getting the new and much improved mattresses which does ultimately make the total bed too high for some wc users. I have found the beds to be too high for me. Now that I know this, I have since asked the HAL Access dept. to request one of the original mattresses to be placed in my cabin and that worked just fine.

I measured 21" for the HC bed on Mariner of the Seas. I can send you a picture if you wish.

would you send me a picture.

the special assistance person at rccl told me the bed was 22 inches

was the mattress frim

thanks

All of the staterooms are getting the new and much improved mattresses which does ultimately make the total bed too high for some wc users. I have found the beds to be too high for me. Now that I know this, I have since asked the HAL Access dept. to request one of the original mattresses to be placed in my cabin and that worked just fine.

Which ship did you sail on? We were on the Oosterdam after they'd replaced all the mattresses with the pillowtops, but we did not have a pillowtop in our HC cabin.

Does anyone know the height standards for beds in HC cabins? DH has been scouring the ADA and similar docs but has not found anything.

We sail HAL and have never had a problem. But some HAL pax have said that ALL cabins will be getting the new pillowtop mattresses, and DH knows that he cannot transfer into a high bed.

Thanks!

Dear Oceanwench,

Just yesterday I called HAL's Access & Compliance Dept. regarding that same question. The answer was that the new beds are being replaced in all cabins. However, if the lower bed is needed, just call that office and make the request: 1-800-547-8493

Dear Oceanwench,

Just yesterday I called HAL's Access & Compliance Dept. regarding that same question. The answer was that the new beds are being replaced in all cabins. However, if the lower bed is needed, just call that office and make the request: 1-800-547-8493

I will have DH call Monday morning.

The last thing he needs on this vacation is stress over getting in and out of bed!

Thanks so much for the answer and phone number! :)

• 1 month later...

Actually, the question arose b/c we were at Disney over the weekend and the HC room had a very high bed. He had a difficul time getting in and out of the bed, as it was a lot higher than his wheelchair.

I have the opposite problem on ships. Most are way too low. I'm no giant at 5'8" yet I would swear that Celebrity beds are made solely for little people. They are also the most uncomfortable with those metal bars felt clearly through the mattresses even when doubled.

Any way to combine Carnival's beds with Celebrity food?

And yes, I have met the beds from hell in hotels where I need a pole vault to get from my chair onto the bed. Pillow tops are fine but adding a foot or more? No go.

NortherLite:

My husband who is 6' 2"' tall has the same problem you do. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, the worst was the NCL Spirit where the beds were even lower than usual because it had been designed for the Asian market. We solved the problem by asking for a 2nd mattress to be placed on the bed. You might want to try that also.

• 3 weeks later...

This is not cruise related but we went a couple of weeks ago to our goddaughters graduation on Long Island NY. We got a great deal on Hotwire for the Hyatt. When we arrived we found they had just redone the rooms with new pillowtop mattress. The bed was SO HIGH, I even had to jump up to get in it. No less than 3 ft. It was above the w/c armrest.

I told the bellman "This can not be a handicap room." He told me it was ADA approved. Not only was the bed too high but there was nothing other than the peep hole in the door, two togle light switches and a few plug at waist level (although they where behind the bed and chairs) nothing was anyway adaptive. No hand rails in the bathroom, the cut out under the sink was obstructed by the bowl and pipes.

About the bed, they had to bring a cot in for DH to sleep on. I kidded around and told management I would need a lift team to use the bed. LOL.....

A letter of complaint reply told me to make sure my needs are made clear when making a resevation. 30+ yrs with disabled husband I know to call a week ahead and make sure we have an ADA room. I was told I could call the manager direct next time and I could have a night free. Now I just have to wait until I have reason to go back to Long Island. Chance are slim.

anyway just want everyone to watch out of the pillow top beds the hotel are are into now.

Well, the bellman's comment is very telling, since there is no "ADA approved" designation for accessibility in hotels. You can use the AAA ratings for accessiblity (M3 is the best) which indicates roll-in shower, proper ADA toilet height, appropriate grab bars and no platform bed, but other than that, in a hotel you have to do your homework. This means not just taking "wheelchair accessible room" to mean it has what you need. We always speak to the manager when making these reservations, not to a reservation clerk. Here is our list of questions:

-Tell me about the bathroom set-up

-What is the height of the toilet seat from the floor?

-Where are there grab bars installed?

-What is the floor space available for turning a wheelchair in the bathroom?

-What is the height of the free area under the sink?

-Is the sink trap insulated?

-Is it a roll-in shower? If so, is there a lip or step into the shower area? What seating is provided or available?

-What is the width of the room door? The bathroom door?

-Is it a platform bed or one with open space below? If the latter, how much free room is there under the bottom of the bed?

-Where is the wheelchair accessible parking in relationship to the room?

-Are all restaurants and bars accessible with no steps to all areas?

Everyone will have their own list of questions. You MUST be very specific about your needs and ask questions...never assume.

Archived