Complaints about F.O. - Are They Helpful?

We have been reading and contributing to these forums since before we had our first cruise a couple of years ago and have read lots of very informative posts from people who obviously enjoy their cruising. We have also read many excellent and constructive cruise reports, that have been very helpful to is in deciding which cruise lines to go with and where to go.

What we have also discovered is that there are a few cruisers who report with a lot of negativity and some of these very negative reports have made us think twice about booking on certain ships.

The internet is a very useful tool to us and after thorough research we pretty well know what to expect of each ship or cruise line and have never been disappointed. There are people however, who decide to pay a fair bit of money on a cruise and return home with a lot of complaints about everything from the age of the ship to the dress code. For goodness sake, if it’s an old ship, you cannot expect it to be to the same standard as a brand new one or if you choose to sail with Cunard, P&O or Fred Olsen, you will be expected to adhere to the dress code each evening. Yet regularly, some passengers seem to be unable to enjoy their holiday because of things that they should have prepared for when researching their holiday. Some of the complaints we read of in forums appear to be trivial and are rarely about one thing. If a passenger has had a bad holiday, they will tell everybody about each and every small detail that has spoiled their cruising experience.

I think a cruise is like any other part of life. There will be things that don’t quite go as planned and things will go wrong, but it’s up to each of us to either deal with it there and then, make the best of it and enjoy the rest, or we can sulk and start cataloguing our complaints and complain at length later, by which time we would be bitter and it would have spoiled our holiday.

From our point of view, we don’t expect perfection and are often pleasantly surprised at how much nicer things are than those negative reports would suggest. Regardless of the criticism we've read about Fred Olsen ships on the internet, we're going to make up our own minds when we sail on Boudicca in September. I'm sure it'll be great.

We have been reading and contributing to these forums since before we had our first cruise a couple of years ago and have read lots of very informative posts from people who obviously enjoy their cruising. We have also read many excellent and constructive cruise reports, that have been very helpful to is in deciding which cruise lines to go with and where to go.

I read several reviews and try to take a balanced view- a few negative reports don't deter me nor do a handful of reviews that are 'too good'.

With everyone having different expectations and experience there are bound to be differing opinions.

Congratulations on your balanced comments. One of the problems with some passengers is that they do not carry out any research prior to booking. When on board they complain often about things that they could have discovered merely by reading the brochures or visiting the cruise line's website. It is not unknown for passengers to board ships without any knowledge of the ports of call! There is also a small element who seek out faults in order to have a a basis for complaint. It's amazing how some discover problems during the final days of a cruise, raise them (often noisily) with the staff in the hope of getting a discount on a later cruise. It is good to avoid these people. There is also a tiny minority whose idea of a vacation is to moan about things. I don't think they realise how annoying this is for fellow passengers.

I have travelled many times on Fred. Olsen ships. On a few occasions I have had grounds for complaint. I have raised these quietly with the staff and I have always found that these have been resolved quickly. No ship is perfect.

I believe you should go on a cruise with an open mind. You should also choose a ship which suits you.:)

Some excellent comments from all here. I cruise with P & O and Cunard and will soon be taking my first cruise with Princess and next April with FO on Blackwatch. So the range of ships is between 150000tonnes down to 28000tonnes and a new ship to much older ships. You are correct, homework needs to be done as with any holiday but often is overlooked or forgotten. Many complaints are also in the class of the posters opinion such as the food was awful. If you don't like the food. it will be awful, but should not be a complaint if the food was presented and cooked as it should be, the I don't like it, is down then to personal choice. As Parsman said, the complainers are trying it on for additional discount on their next cruise, professional moaners:D

I'm sorry but I don't altogether agree with you that complaints are not useful. Sometimes they are....very useful.

For instance if someone complains that they were kept awake at night by the creaking and rattling of their cabin in the stretched part of the ship, then we know, if we're light sleepers, to choose a cabin in the 'old' section of the ship.

Passengers who write that they found FO's cost of shore tours very expensive and arranged the same tour/s themselves, and tell us how they did it, well that is very useful to know.

I have seen people's complaints on the Forum about being flown to meet a ship using Monarch Airlines and I have to agree that flying for 8 or more hours folded up in a sardine tin is sheer unadulterated hell and therefore could be an issue for any passenger who has previously suffered from DVT.

I read some time ago, someone complained that they felt really cold because of the over active air conditioning on board. I was going to sail on that ship, so I knew to take shrugs and pashminas just in case I too felt the cold.

Objective complaints can be useful and informative, whereas subjective criticism,(the bacon was too crispy, my bed was hard etc) I absolutely agree, is all down to personal preferences and not really to be considered.

So in conclusion, don't try to stop people complaining. Objective or subjective, it all makes for interesting reading and maintains a lively forum.

I think there is a need to distinguish between posters passing on useful information (such as temperatures being on the cool side or rattling doors) and complaints. An issue should only become a complaint when all other ways of dealing with it have been exhausted. Unfortunately, there are a minority of people in all walks of life who will not try to deal with little problems at the time they occur, but will let them fester, then use various forums to let everyone else know how hard done by they were.

Most small problems that crop up on board a ship can be dealt with by a quiet word in the ear of an appropriate person or, if necessary there might be a need to take the matter to a more senior person. Yet I have seen and heard passengers shouting at ships staff - that's not necessary and shows a lack of manners.

If anyone has had a real problem and has tried every possible way to resolve their issue with a cruise line and has been treated inconsiderately or unfairly, then by all means, tell everyone else - we would want to know. On the other hand, if someone has a catalogue of minor gripes that have never been taken up through the appropriate channels, then I think it's inappropriate to air them on here and unfair on the cruise line.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

What a sensible post with many good replies.

We have cruised on the Boudica and would not again, but as to why, it's all very subjective. It just didn't feel right on those 2 weeks of the cruise. Another 2 weeks and it may have been good.

One poster recently slated the Balmoral yet we have just cruised on it and it was fantastic for us.

Its odd that when asked about a crusie most people tell you about the bits that were not too good yet do not mention the 100's of bits that were great. I include me on that comment as well.:)

So lets run with "no such thing as a bad cruise just some better than others."

• 2 weeks later...

Many issues are also very subjective. Cabins being hot/cold for example really depends on your own preferences.

The fact is that FOCL is very different from most of the other main stream cruise lines and consequently there are lots of people who both love it and hate it.

Archived