Digital Photo Storage

JimHam4

Does anyone who has cruised on the DREAM recall whether or not the TV's have inputs for Audio/video cables so that we can plug in a digital storage unit and look at pictures we have downloaded to CD from our digital cameras?:confused:

Have you thought about buying a portable DVD player? Most of them play photo CD's. Just a thought...

And if they do not have one, simply request a VCR from the room steward. Most of the time, the ships have them onboard even if they are not in your room, and will bring one free of charge and install it in your room. You can use the RCA input cables on the VCR to view your burned CDs and ensure you got everything!

On Coral Princess, our TV had standard RCA input jacks on back (red/white/yellow). On Celebrity Summit they did not, but brought me a VCR which I was able to use.

I definately feel more secure being able to actually view the CD I just burned to make sure the pics properly burned. And I make two copies of each burn so I can ensure that in case of loss, breakage, theft or anything else, two copies are better than one!

I'm glad to know that there are hook-ups on the back of the TVs on the Coral. As I reacall, they were on the front of those on the Diamond. I got myself a camera so both of us will be taking pictures this year. We will have lots to download and view (and bore people with later!).

Just 3 weeks now!

We just take an old laptop (Dell 233Mhz) with a CD burner. Small card reader plugs into the USB port. Save extra copy of the images on the hard disk, plus burn one for backup. Have a cable lock for it, but haven't had any problems just leaving it in the case under the bed.

Reconditioned Dells are pretty cheap, although a bit heavy. Also runs our GPS, although hard to get a lock on a balcony.

I don't think there is a small adapter to convert twist-on coax to composite... you'll basically need to lug a RF demodulator around (plain english a cable box) ;)

For anyone interested, this device allows you to copy between flash cards without a computer:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10306&cs_id=1030601&p_id=2063&seq=1&format=2&style=

So you can copy:

Flash Card Reader --> Device --> Hard Drive

Flash Card Reader --> Device --> Flash Card

USB Memory Key --> Device --> Hard Drive

USB Memory Key --> Device --> Flash Card

etc --> Device --> Device

Useful if you want a cheap way of copying data to a portable hard drive (no LCD tho).

I received my Addonics MFR about ten days ago and was very pleased with it's performance. Today I played a DVD once then it quit working! Would not even eject the DVD. This happens almost a week until we leave on our cruise.:eek:

I am waiting for the "Service and Support Staff" to return my call - not holding my breath on that one :(

That stinks, Jack!

I would keep calling service department, even if they said they'd call you back...let them know the urgency. They should be able to just send you a new disk drive to insert into the unit, and you can send back the faulty one...if they'd overnight the drive and enclose an overnight slip back.

I managed to get Dell to do that for me before going on a trip when my laptop had a bad CD drive...Dell isn't easy to get ahold of either, but they are a big enough company to be respectable. Addonics is actually a sizeable company, because they make alot of internal hardware for computers...so with a little push, they will hopefully come through.

This is great, I was going to bring my heavy laptop but with this device I can just bring my teeny 20 gig portable hard drive (fits in a pocket) instead. THANKS!

For anyone interested, this device allows you to copy between flash cards without a computer:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10306&cs_id=1030601&p_id=2063&seq=1&format=2&style=

So you can copy:

Flash Card Reader --> Device --> Hard Drive

Flash Card Reader --> Device --> Flash Card

USB Memory Key --> Device --> Hard Drive

USB Memory Key --> Device --> Flash Card

etc --> Device --> Device

Useful if you want a cheap way of copying data to a portable hard drive (no LCD tho).

• 4 months later...

The portable CD devices are convenient, and much smaller and lighter than laptops, so they do offer a decent option.

The USB linking device is a great idea too for anyone who already has a portable harddrive or device, and just needed the way to link it directly to their camera.

I still like the little bit of comfort the portable CD burners give me, in that I can:

1. Burn 2 copies of all my data

2. Plug into a TV to make sure the data burned properly

3. Bring 1 set of copies home in the carryon luggage, and one in the suitcase, to reduce the likelihood of the loss, failure, or damage of both copies

I returned last week from HAL Zuiderdam, and used the Addonics unit extensively. I was shooting with 3 cameras (2 5MP and one 4MP), each with a 256MB card. I plugged in each camera as the card got near full, burned to a single CD until it filled up, burned a 2nd CD of each to be safe, checked the burns on the TV in the cabin, then erased the memory cards and started over again. I brought home over 600 photos burned on 3CDs (of which I had two copies each). A lifesaver! This allowed my entire carryon to be a single small roll-along tote, loaded with 3 cameras, chargers, CD burner, toiletries, and 6 books to read...and my suitcase had nothing of value except clothing. A laptop never would have fit in the carryon, and would have required a separate case. I enjoy traveling as light as possible, and the CD burner has fit into my needs ideally!

Archived