Good Cruises for family

Yellowlily

I am looking for a good cruise for my family with our 5 yo DD. As you can see from my signature, we are seasoned cruisers, but haven't cruised in a while. We're kinda Royal Caribbean'd out from our last one, but don't have problems with considering it again. I am heavily interested in going back to Carnival but also want to explore other avenues. I am looking for an Eastern Caribbean itinerary in March/April and a good kids program, great food and service are musts in our criteria in looking for a cruise.

Can anyone recommend anything to me? I'm interested in perhaps exploring some other lines we haven't been on, as long as our DD has a great kids program to participate in. Thanks for your input!

I can't personally state anything about the kids programs on Princess, but I can say that DH & I have loved the food and service on Princess. The main reason that we are not cruising with Princess next time is because they do not offer any form of childcare for those under 3 and/or who are not potty trained. Kids that we have seen on cruises have loved the Movies Under the Stars, Wii Tournaments, and the pool areas. I wouldn't hesitate to take DS on Princess when he is old enough to use the Kid's Programs.

I'd highly recommend Carnival for a great family vacation. I sailed Carnival Dream twice, which is their second newest ship & absolutely loves it. Many, many dining options & all are included (except Steakhouse). Excellent water slides for all ages. Many day activities on board. Mini golf course is a huge hit. Plus the Camp Carnival accepts children 2 years old & older. The Dream ship sails Western and Eastern routes year round - I sailed both and preferred Eastern. We had a great time at all three ports (Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten). Feel free to ask any other questions.

We just took HAL to Alaska. I don't think I would recommend this line for kids, but we did have a good time - we chose this ship for its itinerary. Our kids (9, 7, 5) didn't go to the kids club, but we did go by to see the facilities, and it is just one small room, and the schedule didn't sound very interesting.

We have gone to the Caribbean on Carnival and NCL, and I would recommend either of these lines for kids, there are more things to do on board, and better kids clubs than what we saw on the Zuiderdam.

We did HAL last summer and my kids loved Club HAL. They begged to go back there constantly. I guess it depends on what you want, but my girls (they were 4 & 7 then) loved it because they got lots of personal attention from the counselors, they were constantly entertained and they made friends with the other kids there. They actually cried at the end of the week when it was time to say "goodbye."

If you're wondering what the "best" kids' program is at sea, I think you'll get ten different answers. I don't have anything to compare it to on the kid front, but I can tell you that my kids loved it.

I have also sailed Celebrity and NCL (without kids) and HAL beat both of them in the food department. The entertainment was mediocre on all of them, but I don't usually attend the shows, so that doesn't bother me.

I want to note that to me Princess has the best Children's Program other than Disney Cruise Lines. Certainly others mentioned are quite good but I would highly recommend Princess.

I don't think an Alaska cruise is the one I would recommend for a five year old. I think the Caribbean is better for the age of your child.

Keith

We did HAL last summer and my kids loved Club HAL. They begged to go back there constantly. I guess it depends on what you want, but my girls (they were 4 & 7 then) loved it because they got lots of personal attention from the counselors, they were constantly entertained and they made friends with the other kids there. They actually cried at the end of the week when it was time to say "goodbye."

If you're wondering what the "best" kids' program is at sea, I think you'll get ten different answers. I don't have anything to compare it to on the kid front, but I can tell you that my kids loved it.

I have also sailed Celebrity and NCL (without kids) and HAL beat both of them in the food department. The entertainment was mediocre on all of them, but I don't usually attend the shows, so that doesn't bother me.

Awesome, this is promising. We decided last night on HAL and are booked for this spring. I'm hopeful - it being spring break, that our 5 YO will meet some new little friends. I'm so happy to hear about your HAL experience. Thank you for your reply.

To the poster who mentioned they wouldn't take a 5 YO to Alaska, I hear that! I can only imagine that not being so pleasant for a 5 YO due to the median age and lack of kids on the ship. I'm having a flashback to my transatlantic crossing on Celebrity - which was beyond wonderful - but the median age was 80 (no joke) and there wasn't one child I saw; actually, there weren't many under 30.

Thanks everyone for your input! Any more on HAL's youth program, I'm all ears. We were in the mood for something different this time; I'm hopeful that we'll have an awesome cruise.

I think Alaska is much better for children than the Caribbean. There are many more active and wildlife viewing activities for the kids than in the Caribbean.

I took ds when he was just turned 3. He had a blast. We are returning Saturday for a 14 day Alaskan cruise. He's now 6. The average age on our previous Alaskan cruise was a bit higher than on Caribbean cruises. However there were still plenty of kids for all 3 of mine to find friends to hang out with - mostly in the kids clubs. What the Alaskan cruise was missing was the single 20 somethings. Not a lot of nightlife on these cruises.

I also disagree about cruising to Alaska with small children. We have gone twice, this time the kids were 9, 7 and 5, last time they were 5, 3 and 1. Both time we had a great cruise, and honestly, so did the kids. As I have mentioned before, they don't go to the kids clubs, but they love the pool, the food, and especially liked looking for things in the ocean! Also, they liked the ports that we visited, and the excursions we took.

It probably really depends on your child. On our Alaska cruise with HAL recently, there were a lot more children on board than I was expecting.

I think Alaska is popular for families because it is over the summer (school breaks).

It was a good choice for us as a family because we could drive to the port (Seattle). Of course, took us 2 days to drive there, :D but it was better than paying for five flights. I thought Alaska was great for the kids. Lots of beautiful scenery and educational opportunities abound.

I think Alaska is popular for families because it is over the summer (school breaks).

It was a good choice for us as a family because we could drive to the port (Seattle). Of course, took us 2 days to drive there, :D but it was better than paying for five flights. I thought Alaska was great for the kids. Lots of beautiful scenery and educational opportunities abound.

This is good to know. Perhaps we'll have to add Alaska to our "to-do" list! :) My parents went on an Alaskan Cruise with Celebrity several years back and fell in love with it instantly. I agree about the educational opportunity, for sure.

Yeah, Alaska is definitely a good itinerary with kids. I have found the median age on the Alaska cruises we have done to be younger than the Caribbean. Plenty of kids onboard especially in July and Aug. The scenery wildlife and touring opportunities make it great for kids (well at least our kids have enjoyed it)!

Archived