Magic or Dream?

mtra

I have booked a cruise for my family(myself, husband and two kids-10, 7) on the Magic at the end of March. We have cruised out of Port Canaveral and it was slick even with the transfers. Now I am reading about what a nightmare it can be going out of Galveston due to the rental car company (only one) being closed on Sunday as well as the lack of taxi's. So my question is, should I switch to the Dream out of Port Canaveral, or take my chances in Galveston? Has anyone done both? The cost of the Dream is slightly more which is fine, and both itineraries would work for us. Thanks in advance for your advise!

Are you flying into Intercontential Airport or Hobby Airport? Hobby is about 45 miles from Galveston, but IA is about 1 hour and 45 minutes from Galveston. Does Carnival offer a shuttle to and from the airport?

Yes Carnival does offer transfers, but we would like to stay either pre or post cruise and go to Johnson or Kennedy space center. We have not booked air yet. Hoping to fly into HOU on Southwest but those flights are not posted yet. Right now flights are less into Orlando vs Houston on the other major airlines...

Yes Carnival does offer transfers, but we would like to stay either pre or post cruise and go to Johnson or Kennedy space center. We have not booked air yet. Hoping to fly into HOU on Southwest but those flights are not posted yet. Right now flights are less into Orlando vs Houston on the other major airlines...

Galveston is my homeport and many of my friend have issues with the transportation from Houston.

There are several options though.

1. Fly in a day early rent a car, make hotel reservations somewhere in Webster (I know there is a nice Best Western there) it's close to NASA and there is also a really neat entertainment venue called Kemah Boardwalk that would be fun to go to. Return your car back to the airport on embarkation day and take the Carnival shuttle to Galveston.

2. Fly in a day early, rent a car for the trip to Galveston, get a hotel on Seawall Blvd where lots to do is within walking distance. Drop everyone at the hotel and return your car taking a taxi back to the hotel and a taxi to the pier on embarkation day.

3. The most expensive is hiring a taxi or shuttle from the airport to Galveston.

Definately fly in to Hobby.

I hear ya OP! My fiance and I were really hoping to sail Magic next summer - until we learned how expensive it would be to fly there!! I'm talking $2,200 for three people round trip. Flying to Florida is only $900 - a lot cheaper!! I sailed the Dream twice and had fantastic cruises on her, so I'm sure her sister ship, Magic, is just as great! I just cant bring myself to spend that kind of money for airfare. It seems that your only option for transportation from the airport to a hotel in Galveston is a private shuttle, taxi or limo. Which I'm sure isn't going to be that cheap. If you don't mind spending the extra $$$, then I'm sure Galveston is do-able since many people do travel there to cruise. But it's just not as easy as Florida. I personally think Dream visits better ports than Magic also.

Magic will have the rope course and the Red Pub Frog. To me Dream really doesnt have anything much better than conquest class, so pick any conquest class, even out of miami (miami and ft. Lauderdale easiest to me to fly out of.)

Magic will have the rope course and the Red Pub Frog. To me Dream really doesnt have anything much better than conquest class, so pick any conquest class, even out of miami (miami and ft. Lauderdale easiest to me to fly out of.)

This may be true Firefly, but the Dream has COVE BALCONIES :D, Conquest ships do not. ;)

Archived