Just Back From the Gem!!!

GSLMOM

Would love to hear the pros and cons of your trip.

Did you eat in the specialty restaurants, which ones and how were they ?

How was the food in the MDR"S ?

Who was the comedian on board , Dave Heenan ?

Thanks

We had an amazingly fabulous time on the beautiful Gem. Any questions?? Ask away.

Best cruise I took in six NCL cruises.

The food, the entertainment, the shows and Sinan, the best CD in the fleet, energetic, funny, and personable and open to talk to. The Gem is the best ship in the fleet. You will have a great time. Remember if you have any problems, don't talk to the front desk. Talk to Jenny Lim, the assistant Hotel director. You will get her number or ship extension from the Meet and Greet for Cruise Critics, usually held the first sea day. The Meet and Greet is a very important meeting for your Roll Call-you get direct access to the important repeat important NCL staff members who directly impact on what you get or don't get on the cruise. Don't miss it.

Best cruise I took in six NCL cruises.

The food, the entertainment, the shows and Sinan, the best CD in the fleet, energetic, funny, and personable and open to talk to. The Gem is the best ship in the fleet. You will have a great time. Remember if you have any problems, don't talk to the front desk. Talk to Jenny Lim, the assistant Hotel director. You will get her number or ship extension from the Meet and Greet for Cruise Critics, usually held the first sea day.

That is good to know. Our meet and greet is scheduled for 8/8 at 11:00 am in the Star Bar. We have over 40 confirmed so I hope that everyone shows.

Would love to hear the pros and cons of your trip.

Did you eat in the specialty restaurants, which ones and how were they ?

How was the food in the MDR"S ?

Who was the comedian on board , Dave Heenan ?

Thanks

Yes, we ate at Teppanyaki for my daughter's birthday and it was great. Not sure I would spend that money if it wasn't a special occasion though.

We also ate at Tequila and that was very good as well. We had the vegetarian enchiladas, lobster tacos, and the fajitas -- all were very good.

We ate in the MDR's three times and all three times the food was very good. On the right side of the menu are items you can get every night. We had the steak, salmon and chicken and all were very good. A new addition to the menu is a special every night. I had a pork burrito and it was very, very good! My family had the prime rib which was very good as well. We also had the lobster tail and tilapia (which was served on the first night of the cruise), which was good.

The comedian was Jeff Harms and he was hilarious. I believe Dave Heenan was on the week before us. I saw Dave Heenan last year and he was funny too.

We will be on the Gem on Sunday. Anything you can provide about the CD, shows, and dining appreciated.

The CD is wonderful. His name is Sinan. We sailed with him when he was the assistant cruise director on the Star and the Jewel and we are so glad he got promoted. He truly deserved it. He works hard. He is friendly, polite and very, very funny!!!

The food was good to very good. We did not have a bad meal once. See my previous post about food...

Please tell me the production shows, and I assume, the welcome show, the farewell and 2nd city are standard. ;););) thanks do u have a way to give us the missing page 4 from the daily?????

Day 1 - Welcome Aboard Show/Comedy of Jeff Harms (very funny)

Day 2 - World Beat (we missed this)

Day 3 - The Second City

Day 4 - Comedian Jeff Harms

Day 5 - Romano Frediani [juggler] (absolutely amazing)

Day 6 - can't find my day 6 daily - sorry

Day 7 - Farewell Variety Show - Romano Frediani and Fountains

What do you mean by the missing page 4?? If I can, I will...

love to hear more about it- any tips??

This isn't really a tip but make sure you spend some time in The Great Outdoors. This is my favorite part of the ship. It is at the back of the ship on Deck 12. You have to go through the Garden Cafe (buffet) to get there. They have a small buffet set up there when the Garden Cafe closes. There is a bar back there and you can also get coffee, iced tea, water, ice cream, desserts, and quite a variety of food. We didn't really eat out there but did get drinks from the bar and just sit and read and watch the ocean. So peaceful and relaxing - I wish I was there right now!

Do you remember what kind of food was at the Great outdoors ? Was it a very crowded area ?

You did say peaceful and relaxing so I'm assuming it wasn't too crowded ?

This isn't really a tip but make sure you spend some time in The Great Outdoors. This is my favorite part of the ship. It is at the back of the ship on Deck 12. You have to go through the Garden Cafe (buffet) to get there. They have a small buffet set up there when the Garden Cafe closes. There is a bar back there and you can also get coffee, iced tea, water, ice cream, desserts, and quite a variety of food. We didn't really eat out there but did get drinks from the bar and just sit and read and watch the ocean. So peaceful and relaxing - I wish I was there right now!

Hey Mom, Thanks for the reviews and tips. First time cruisers here leaving on Sunday. I appreciate and thank you for the time you spent posting your comments.

What are the hours that the Garden Cafe is open?

For the info. First Time NCL'ers heading out on that Trip on 10/30. Hoping after all the great things we have heard about Sinan that he will still be there when we sail. Also my first Trip in almost a decade that doesn't involve Football in one form or another and since i'm now ret. from Teaching, the first vacation I can take when school is in session.

(no real gripe with kids for the most part, but def. an issue with Parents that think the're on vacation means they also don't have to parent!):(

Bill(DrFootball)

("it's not ROCKET science, It's football. Now Run the Play!"-Bill Parcells to Phil Simms-Giants Training Camp-1985)

I do the same thing ! Good to know.

We haven't been on the Gem before but we have been on the Dawn and the Crown twice as well as other cruise lines.

Hearing lots of mixed on the gem which I think is typical of any ship.

Looking forward to your detailed review !

I will. If you have ever read any of my reviews they are full, detailed, and probably more than you ever wanted to know, lol:D

Do you remember what kind of food was at the Great outdoors ? Was it a very crowded area ?

You did say peaceful and relaxing so I'm assuming it wasn't too crowded ?

Never crowded!!! Which is what we loved about it. I don't know why because it is such a great place to hang out.

As far as food, there was a salad bar, burgers and fries...., and some hot food. Desserts and ice cream.

thanks, day #4 from the dallies is missing when it was posted for us future gem cruisers! I assume Get Down tonight is the 2nd production show?:):):)

I'm not sure - it might have been day 6 (which I don't have the daily for).

I have day 4 - if I have time later today I will scan it and try to figure out how to upload it for you guys.

what kind of room did you stay in?

We had a balcony on deck 10 midship which we feel is a great location. Two decks up to the buffet and three decks down to the promenade deck and theater... My last three cruises we stayed on deck 10 midship (either inside or balcony). My kids were in an inside cabin across the hall.

What are the hours that the Garden Cafe is open?

Garden Cafe Hours:

Breakfast:

6:00 - 7:00 for early risers and then the reguar buffet from 7:00 - 11:00. We never went up from 6:00 to 7:00 so can't tell you what the difference is (probably just limited).

Lunch from 12:00 - 2:30

Dinner from 5:30 - 9:30

The Great Outdoors (aft, behind the Garden Cafe)

8:30 - 12:00, then 1:00 - 5:30, and then late night snacks from 9:30 - 11:30.

Archived