Cabins on Discovery

Parapara

Noises from the lounges at night on the Discovery? Does not compute.:confused::p:cool:

From a past passenger on the spectacular 42 Day Discovery Grand Voyage Hong Kong to Capetown Jan - March 2010. Agree, this is a great little ship. Daytime activities is what wear you down on this ship with its fantastic lectures and port itineraries. Most people barely make it past dessert and a genteel lounge show in the evenings and those that stay up later are mainly quietly shuffling cards for their all night bridge tournaments. Though I understand things have gotten a little rough with the ladies at the puzzle table during some of the wee small hours but that doesn't happen enough to matter. Choir practice is also during the day time so, no I don't think you have to worry about being under the lounges ......or even in the lounges. All bets are off for the Library however. Those folks did look fairly territorial and probably would strike out if hassled.

Thanks for your replies Libby and Swiss Myst. The cabins offered to us were right under the two stages so thought there could be some noise! However we are now looking at an outside one on Bali deck. Haven't booked it yet but thought with 39 nights on board it would be better to have a bit of natural light.

We booked the great cabin right next to the infirmary which was much larger than most on this lowest Coral deck, though I see they are now charging a bit more for this one now because it really was a great deal in the lower rate price class. (#3106?)

Yes, we also wanted a bit of daylight but being so close to the water line the portholes (deadlights) had to be closed during rough seas and when we were sailing in the prirate zones in the Indian Ocean.

So for about two weeks out of our 6 week cruise we had a de facto "inside" cabin but had to pay the outside cabin rates. The upper floors only had to keep windows drapes drawn during the pirate watch zones and obviously did not have to worry about the high seas that we faced down there in the bilge.

Long story short, depending upon where you are going and which cabin you pick, you may get an "inside" cabin afterall.:cool:

I was just recently looking at lamps that can simulate waking up to sunshine that might make an inside room more tolerable. But a small portable fan was our best cabin appliance addition. A/C is a bit weak, particularly if one goes near the equator.

Thanks Swiss Myst.

We are still waiting for more information before we book the cruise we are interested in and we have looked at cabins on lowest deck as a possibility but if things work out we will book an outside on Bali deck. Then, if we get rough seas ( oh, I hope not!) we would still have daylight. I was interested to read about the air conditioning being too hot if going through the tropics ( as we would do). I usually find the air conditiong far too hot at night anyway and the choice between a duvet or nothing over you isn't the best. Thank you for the small fan suggestion or hopefully they might have sheets somewhere that can go on the bed. We were recently on the Swan Hellenic Minerva and the air conditioning was good but still too hot for a duvet.

Jean

Lucky for us we started in Hong Kong and also went to Singapore a short while later so we had plenty of opportunity to shop for items that really made a difference in our cabin enjoyment. The Bali deck cabins are very small -so getting one of those much larger ones on the Coral Deck made the world of difference to us for our 42 days, closed up or not.

We were able to add an extra clothes rack for hanging items, had a large stacked coffee table which se used also for more clothes storage and best of all got this fantastic collapsible drying rack for in-house clothes washing and drying, plus a lot of organizing baskets and drawer organizers. We also picked up the small fan in HK so it ran off the 220 outlets.

(However, with all that said I brought way too many changes in clothing and even though I had all that extra room for more we really didn't need a lot of it. Though the extra hanging rack was worth it because there is very limited closet space.)

In one of my interior photo collections, you can see the collection of cheap stuff we picked up and that not only helped us a lot but one of the staff eagerly ran down to our cabin when we left so she could take it for her own use. https://picasaweb.google.com/103183483776802672644/MVDiscoveryInteriorPhotos201002?authkey=Gv1sRgCKKc4suFyu7YZg#5486961833539683282

Thanks Swiss Myst. I have had a look at the photo and the clothes drying rack looks good. We have taken a stretchy elastic clothes line before which is quite good but you have to have suitable things to hook it to. We were spoilt on the Minerva as they have a free laundrette. Unfortunately we have not been offered the cabins in the class you had. I can see from the plans they do look bigger. We were offered "green ' ones on Coral deck but none had the side by side arrangement of beds- all L shaped which we have had before and they are awful for TV viewing and one bed had nowhere to put things beside the bed. ( We have travelled on Discovery once before and overall really enjoyed it) However with 39 nights on board this time, if it works out, we want a reasonable sort of cabin.

Ooops, sorry parapara, forgot you had already traveled on the Discovery and have done all your homework. :o

Yes, as much as I hated to see that trip end I hated not being able to pack up that great folding drying rack even more. We tried every which way from Sunday to stuff it in our bag but no luck. I hope it is still serving well down in the bowels of the crew quarters.

We got it at basement "dollar store" somewhere in Singapore up in Little India. Compact asian apartments need things like this so a lot of cabin amenities were readily available for us to dress up our cabin needs when starting from this part of the world.

Thanks Swiss Myst. I have had a look at the photo and the clothes drying rack looks good. We have taken a stretchy elastic clothes line before which is quite good but you have to have suitable things to hook it to. We were spoilt on the Minerva as they have a free laundrette. Unfortunately we have not been offered the cabins in the class you had. I can see from the plans they do look bigger. We were offered "green ' ones on Coral deck but none had the side by side arrangement of beds- all L shaped which we have had before and they are awful for TV viewing and one bed had nowhere to put things beside the bed. ( We have travelled on Discovery once before and overall really enjoyed it) However with 39 nights on board this time, if it works out, we want a reasonable sort of cabin.

Archived